Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shelby American, Inc. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/)
-   -   Shelby Order Question (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/113256-shelby-order-question.html)

fastcat 11-12-2011 07:37 AM

Shelby Order Question

I am new here but am not to the muscle car hobby - What a great set-up you all have here - Very informative

I called a Shelby dealer and asked for info on a new 427 car and the lady in CA told me that Shelby has stopped taking new Cobra orders?! She also told me that when Shelby starts taking orders again (?) that there will be a big price increase

Does anyone here know anything? I would like to maybe order a car from carol shelby company but she said it could be two years before I can order/receive one from Shelby

:confused:

Got the Bug 11-12-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastcat (Post 1161032)
I am new here but am not to the muscle car hobby - What a great set-up you all have here - Very informative

I called a Shelby dealer and asked for info on a new 427 car and the lady in CA told me that Shelby has stopped taking new Cobra orders?! She also told me that when Shelby starts taking orders again (?) that there will be a big price increase

Does anyone here know anything? I would like to maybe order a car from carol shelby company but she said it could be two years before I can order/receive one from Shelby

:confused:

Just go to this link and type in your zip code and call some of the dealers directly.

Shelby American Inc.

Bartruff1 11-12-2011 08:53 AM

Buy a used one...

With a clear and clean title. Or a existing new one with a title or MSO. Not only will you save a ton of money and time, but frankly, I would not make a deposit on any component car in this economy. A bird in the hand. Nothing against Shelby or any other manufacturer, but why take a chance? If things go to hell, I suspect you will not be in front of the line to get your money back. Am I paranoid or just prudent ? Don't kinow. Just saying I was damn happy and relieved to get my car and the MSO in 2008...

gsharapa 11-12-2011 08:57 AM

The other thing to consider is a used vehicle. Again in this economy a lot of people recently finished some Shelby Cobras, Kirkham's and other manufacturers and have very low miles and want or need to sell. You might be surprized what you can find and save yourself some $$$$ and be driving next weekend. Just an alternative but realize many want to build/finish their own.

twobjshelbys 11-12-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsharapa (Post 1161038)
The other thing to considered is a used vehicle. Again in this economy a lot of people recently finished some Shelby Cobras, Kirkham's and other manufacturers and have very low miles and want or need to sell. You might be surprized what you can find and save yourself some $$$$ and be driving next weekend. Just an alternative but realize many want to build/finish their own.

Excellent advice.

Stephen Becker just wrote here that he has some new rollers coming in too.

kurtmart 11-12-2011 09:57 AM

Order a Kirkham.

PANAVIA 11-12-2011 10:33 AM

Where are you located - I can have someone call you.

Steve

stephen_becker 11-13-2011 12:22 PM

On 10/28/2011 Shelby American Inc & SDUSA issued an e-mail to all factory-authorized Shelby Cobra dealers informing the dealers that NO FURTHER NEW CSX Shelby Cobra Orders will be accepted until further notice! Additionally, when (and if) Shelby American Inc & SDUSA do decided to, once again, start accepting new orders for CSX Shelby Cobras there WILL BE a SIGNIFIGANT price increase (est. to be at least $ 25,000.00) on fiberglass component/roller cars.

rodneym 11-13-2011 01:07 PM

Woah.
And this is right after their 10k price increase from earlier this year?
%/

csx4910 11-13-2011 01:34 PM

Well it is one way to get the sagging values up by stopping to make them making them "more collectable" but that much of a price increase people would have to stupid to pay another $35,000 increase. That will make them at least $20K above a well optioned Kirkham. I'm not complaining mind you if they stop making them maybe mine will only be worth $20K less than I paid for it instead of the $40K-50K less than I paid for it

RodKnock 11-13-2011 04:35 PM

We live in a free market economy. It is what it is.

BTW, the basic fiberglass roller price now is $59,995, plus options, if I remember correctly. Which means the new fiberglass roller price, someday when they accept new orders, will $84,995 plus options.

I wonder if the aluminum roller prices will jump from around $120K to $145K?

I also wonder what they're marketing plan is. Hmmm.

patrickt 11-13-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1161208)
I also wonder what they're marketing plan is. Hmmm.

Generally when you cease production, even temporarily, that is accompanied by lay-offs....:cool:

Cashburn 11-13-2011 06:53 PM

I have heard there are 200 orders to fill at this point.

Got the Bug 11-13-2011 07:12 PM

I guess if you've got a product that's in demand, but your supply chain and manufacturing process is totally ineffective, you can do anything you want.

They should contract the build for aluminum cars to Kirkham and the fiberglass cars to Superformance and be done with it.

This step by Shelby creates doubt in the market for potential Shelby brand buyers. I'd hate to be waiting for a Shelby car right now.

RodKnock 11-13-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashburn (Post 1161221)
I have heard there are 200 orders to fill at this point.

Assuming that's fact, then that is amazing, since our economy has been non-existent since 2008.

If there's 200 orders, then I think it's a prudent move to not accept any more orders. They should have raised the price more than $10,000 last increase. Good for them. No layoffs then.

I'll be curious to see what the changes will be in the used Cobra market 5 years from now.

bdeutsch 11-18-2011 04:45 PM

Picked-up a copy of a magazine yesterday that celebrates Shelby's 50-years (not sure how long it has been on newstands). Talks about CSX series and of course the various flavors of Mustangs carrying the Shelby name.

Today, I read this post regarding cessation of new orders for CSX cars until further notice. Perhaps I am a bit jaded, but timing seems a bit off if this announcement was part of a grand plan rather than something else.

rodneym 11-18-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got the Bug (Post 1161226)
They should contract the build for aluminum cars to Kirkham and the fiberglass cars to Superformance and be done with it.

Isn't that the way it is now? %/

If there are in fact 200 orders for SHelby, maybe the vast majority are overseas?

David Kirkham said on Facebook that he's just had a 'record sales month' and a few more posts about cars sold in Greece, Australia and more. :eek:
Pretty interesting.

patrickt 11-18-2011 05:56 PM

Upon further reflection...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1161208)
Which means the new fiberglass roller price ... will [be] $84,995 plus options. I wonder if the aluminum roller prices will jump from around $120K to $145K?

I've changed my mind. I think the raise in CSX prices is a good thing; it will make all of our Cobras worth more. We all know that the major Cobra manufacturers engage in conscious parallelism.:cool:

Trueoo7 11-18-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1161209)
Generally when you cease production, even temporarily, that is accompanied by lay-offs....:cool:

What about the dealers...how do you stay in business when you can't order new cars?

mrmustang 11-18-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeutsch (Post 1162148)

Today, I read this post regarding cessation of new orders for CSX cars until further notice. Perhaps I am a bit jaded, but timing seems a bit off if this announcement was part of a grand plan rather than something else.

There are quite a few who have questioned the current SAI party line of a 200 order backlog, scuttlebutt is that someone has dreamed up one hell of a marketing ploy, especially in the current economy.%/

Bill S.