Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     
Default 1965 Shelby Cobra 289 Roadster For Sale August 2012

1965 Shelby Cobra 289 Roadster
CSX 2428

Monterey, CA The Daytime Auction
August 16-18, 2012
This Lot scheduled to be sold SAT 3:05PM

DESCRIPTION
Billed to Shelby American on May 7, 1964 and shipped to Los Angeles on the Holland America Line’s SS Alblasserdyk the following week, this rare highly-optioned 1965 Shelby Cobra was invoiced to the Foreign Car Center in Birmingham, Alabama on August 5 1964. It was delivered with chromed 5.5-inch knock-off wire wheels, dash-mounted rear-view mirror, radio, wind deflectors, chromed bumperettes and a quick-fill fuel cap. Cared for by the same owner since 1984 and listed in the Shelby Registry, this American automotive treasure retains the original (now rebuilt) dual-quad Hi Po 289 CI engine, side exhaust, desirable rack and pinion steering and factory hard top.

HIGHLIGHTS

- Rare highly optioned Cobra
- Rebuilt original engine
- Rare dual quad induction system
- Desirable rack and pinion steering system
- Factory hardtop
- Radio when delivered new
- Billed 5/7/64 to Shelby American
- Shipped 5/15/64 to LA aboard the SS Alblasserdyk
- Invoiced 8/5/64 to Foreign Car Center in Birmingham, AL
- Same owner since 1984 and listed in registry
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

cira $500K .......
Old 07-08-2012, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Five more Cobras at RM Auctions Monterey

So far there are five original Cobras scheduled for the RM Auctions Monterey event, Aug 17-18, 2012.

CSX2048

CSX2167

CSX2290

CSX2356 * offered with no reserve

* I wonder if this is the mysterious barn find Cobra that was discussed here on CC a few months ago...

CSX3014 competition 427

Last edited by SunDude; 07-12-2012 at 07:06 AM..
Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default CSX2538 at Russo and Steele Monterey

Russo and Steele also has a Cobra set to cross the block in Monterey, Aug 16-18, 2012.

CSX2538

Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

The unidentified burgundy red Cobra reminds me of the Jeep TV commercial where the transport driver pulls up with several new Jeeps to deliver. The Jeep on the back of the transport is covered with mud. The receiving dealer asks the driver how come the one Jeep is covered with mud. The transport driver tries to say he doesn't know what happened..... Wouldn't you clean up your $500k Cobra before taking a picture to sell it? Pretty funny!~
Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

I know 2428. I located it in 1984 for the prevoius owner and worked on/drove it prior to the current owners purchase. The current owner actually lived across the street from me in my younger days.

2428 was nowhere as well turned out body and paint wise when I knew it. Warren (the curent owner) had Chris Liebenberg do a full body resto and paint thatI assume is the current appearance.

The factory hardtop sat in the corner of my dealership for quite some time and was not used for many years.

I was a single 4BBL when I knew it and I was not aware of the duals being original but that is the benefit of factory paperwork!

2428 was the first 289 Cobra I ever drove, CSX3327 was the first 427 I drove some years prior to 2428

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Vintage pic of CSX3014...?

In posting the fact that CSX3014 is to be auctioned by RM this August, I happened to come across this old thread about the car.

In it there's a discussion about how the car was auctioned by RM in Monterey 2004, and how it had once been equipped with a full-width roll bar for use as a camera car (in the filming of Grand Prix).

This reminded me of a photo I'd seen on the interwebs showing Grand Prix actress Françoise Hardy being taken for a spin in just such a 427 Cobra with an unusual roll bar and white sidepipes. Is it safe to assume that this is CSX3014...?

Old 07-18-2012, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default History of CSX2356 revealed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
RM Auctions has finally added the vehicle description/history for CSX2356 to its website. Those of you with a SAAC registry will know that there has been no recorded owner history for this car. Until now.

###

271 hp, 289 cu in OHV V-8 engine, four-barrel carburetor, four-speed transmission, ladder-type steel tubing chassis with independent front and rear suspension with A-arms, transverse leaf springs and tube shock absorbers, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 90"
  • One lady owner from new, with fully documented history
  • California black plate car; parked in 1987 with 38,762 original miles
  • Includes rare factory hardtop, side-curtains, tonneau, some tools, and original spare tire

Carroll Shelby’s 1962 Cobra roadster represents the pinnacle of Anglo-America sports cars. At 37, Shelby was winding up a successful racing career, which peaked in 1959, when he won the 24 Hours of Le Mans for Aston Martin. He became the Goodyear Racing Tire distributor for the western U.S. in 1961 and started his own racing school at Riverside Raceway in California.

Shelby asked GM to sell him a small block Chevrolet V-8, but “The General” didn’t want to subsidize Corvette competition. It was a bad mistake. When Ford engineer Dave Evans offered Shelby a couple of 260-cubic inch high-performance motors designed for the Falcon Sprint, the die was cast. Shelby flew to England on February 1, 1962 to test the new AC Cobra and then navigate it into legend.

CSX 2356 was first shipped to Detroit as a factory demonstrator in 1964 and registered by the Ford Motor Company. Eight months later, and showing 3000 miles, it was virtually “remanufactured” by Shelby American, including mostly new body panels, and sold by Hi-Performance Motors in Los Angeles, as a new 1965 model in May of that year, to its first private owner, Flora L. Darling, who owned it until her death in 2012 at age 81.

The late Carroll Shelby would have loved Flora Darling. When she picked up her Cobra from Hi-Performance Motors in Los Angeles, the salesman said, “That’s a mighty fast car, Ma’am. Who’s going to drive it home for you?”

She looked him straight in the eye and said, “I am. Why do you think I bought it (you fool)?” With that, she peeled out of the dealership and roared up the Grapevine to Bakersfield, where the car remained in her hands for 47 years.

“My great-aunt was a trailblazer,” said her niece Debra Redwine. “I’ve known that Cobra all my life. I remember, I was five years old when she bought it. I was playing in the front yard when she pulled up and said, ‘Want to come for a ride?’”

And it’s true that Darling was a remarkable woman. The youngest of six children who came to California from Texas during the Dust Bowl, she served in the Air Force during the Korean War, and then put herself through college, gaining a degree in anthropology. She bought her own house in 1956 and lived there for 55 years. Darling operated the Shafter Medical Laboratory in Bakersfield and traveled to the Third World on relief missions. She ran a motorcycle shop (and rode one) and a paint shop. Flora Darling was a competitive shooter and an archer who belonged to the Society for Creative Anachronism. The year after she bought the Cobra, Darling got a pilot’s license and bought her own plane. She was even a published author and a poet, a silversmith, and a fine arts painter, whose work fills Debra’s house in Crescent City, California.

Sadly, after her husband died in 1987, Mrs. Darling never again drove the Cobra. It was put away in her dusty garage under two car covers, where it remained. Neighbors’ inquiries were turned away with, “it’s just a piece of junk.”

Recently uncovered, CSX 2356 still retains its original California black plates in their original ‘Hi Perfomance Motors’ frames and numerous California registration slips, as well as the original FoMoCo Michigan registration. Also included with the car are its original spare, jack and handle, mallet, grease gun, and two vinyl bags, one with miscellaneous tools, and side curtains for both the hard and soft tops. However, the original soft top may never be found. The Cobra was repainted in the 1970s, and the seats were re-upholstered at that time.

This complete and correct Cobra has its original ignition key, hood latch T-handle key, and its etched “Cobra” sun visors and wind wings are intact. As a final remembrance of Flora Darling, her dusty 1960s Ray-Ban sunglasses remain in the glove box. As an extraordinary time-warp, this Cobra is presented exactly as found and will not be started before the sale. The new owner will have the pleasure of bringing it back to life, knowing that its distinctive exhaust note has not been heard for 24 years.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Guys,

Nice thread continuation.....
CSX2290 is a great little car! Seen it many times, kind of a red vresion of mine...
Have not seen CSX2048 since Mark owned it, looks nicer now.... LOLOL

Awesome, wished I had a spare 1.3 for 2290....
Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx7000
Not Ranked     

Quote:
RM Auctions has finally added the vehicle description/history for CSX2356 to its website. Those of you with a SAAC registry will know that there has been no recorded owner history for this car. Until now.

###

271 hp, 289 cu in OHV V-8 engine, four-barrel carburetor, four-speed transmission, ladder-type steel tubing chassis with independent front and rear suspension with A-arms, transverse leaf springs and tube shock absorbers, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 90"
  • One lady owner from new, with fully documented history
  • California black plate car; parked in 1987 with 38,762 original miles
  • Includes rare factory hardtop, side-curtains, tonneau, some tools, and original spare tire

Carroll Shelby’s 1962 Cobra roadster represents the pinnacle of Anglo-America sports cars. At 37, Shelby was winding up a successful racing career, which peaked in 1959, when he won the 24 Hours of Le Mans for Aston Martin. He became the Goodyear Racing Tire distributor for the western U.S. in 1961 and started his own racing school at Riverside Raceway in California.

Shelby asked GM to sell him a small block Chevrolet V-8, but “The General” didn’t want to subsidize Corvette competition. It was a bad mistake. When Ford engineer Dave Evans offered Shelby a couple of 260-cubic inch high-performance motors designed for the Falcon Sprint, the die was cast. Shelby flew to England on February 1, 1962 to test the new AC Cobra and then navigate it into legend.

CSX 2356 was first shipped to Detroit as a factory demonstrator in 1964 and registered by the Ford Motor Company. Eight months later, and showing 3000 miles, it was virtually “remanufactured” by Shelby American, including mostly new body panels, and sold by Hi-Performance Motors in Los Angeles, as a new 1965 model in May of that year, to its first private owner, Flora L. Darling, who owned it until her death in 2012 at age 81.

The late Carroll Shelby would have loved Flora Darling. When she picked up her Cobra from Hi-Performance Motors in Los Angeles, the salesman said, “That’s a mighty fast car, Ma’am. Who’s going to drive it home for you?”

She looked him straight in the eye and said, “I am. Why do you think I bought it (you fool)?” With that, she peeled out of the dealership and roared up the Grapevine to Bakersfield, where the car remained in her hands for 47 years.

“My great-aunt was a trailblazer,” said her niece Debra Redwine. “I’ve known that Cobra all my life. I remember, I was five years old when she bought it. I was playing in the front yard when she pulled up and said, ‘Want to come for a ride?’”

And it’s true that Darling was a remarkable woman. The youngest of six children who came to California from Texas during the Dust Bowl, she served in the Air Force during the Korean War, and then put herself through college, gaining a degree in anthropology. She bought her own house in 1956 and lived there for 55 years. Darling operated the Shafter Medical Laboratory in Bakersfield and traveled to the Third World on relief missions. She ran a motorcycle shop (and rode one) and a paint shop. Flora Darling was a competitive shooter and an archer who belonged to the Society for Creative Anachronism. The year after she bought the Cobra, Darling got a pilot’s license and bought her own plane. She was even a published author and a poet, a silversmith, and a fine arts painter, whose work fills Debra’s house in Crescent City, California.

Sadly, after her husband died in 1987, Mrs. Darling never again drove the Cobra. It was put away in her dusty garage under two car covers, where it remained. Neighbors’ inquiries were turned away with, “it’s just a piece of junk.”

Recently uncovered, CSX 2356 still retains its original California black plates in their original ‘Hi Perfomance Motors’ frames and numerous California registration slips, as well as the original FoMoCo Michigan registration. Also included with the car are its original spare, jack and handle, mallet, grease gun, and two vinyl bags, one with miscellaneous tools, and side curtains for both the hard and soft tops. However, the original soft top may never be found. The Cobra was repainted in the 1970s, and the seats were re-upholstered at that time.

This complete and correct Cobra has its original ignition key, hood latch T-handle key, and its etched “Cobra” sun visors and wind wings are intact. As a final remembrance of Flora Darling, her dusty 1960s Ray-Ban sunglasses remain in the glove box. As an extraordinary time-warp, this Cobra is presented exactly as found and will not be started before the sale. The new owner will have the pleasure of bringing it back to life, knowing that its distinctive exhaust note has not been heard for 24 years.

"mostly new panels". That doesnt sound good.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Brian are we going to watch this auction while we're there? Looks like a must attend for us.
Geoff did a nice job on 2048. Any comments on the air doors on the side? Mark swears they are original.
If I was interested in a car like 2356 I wouldn't want it cleaned or even taken out of the barn, I would want to buy it where it sat.

Last edited by mickmate; 07-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: afterthoughts
Old 07-19-2012, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Team transporter also for sale in Monterey

One of the official Shelby American racing team transporters -- a 1956 Fiat Series 306/2 Grand Prix Transporter by Carrozzeria Bartoletti -- is also being auctioned by RM Auctions in Monterey this August.

It should make it so much easier to bring home all those Cobras you buy in Monterey.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Monterey car week 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Hey Brian are we going to watch this auction while we're there? Looks like a must attend for us...
We're going to be spoilt for choice, for things to do, that's for certain.

I made list of all the activities during Monterey Car Week (below). Afraid I can't take part in them all without greatly offending my wife and daughters (this is a family vacation after all), so I'm gonna have to pick just a few. I've got my tickets for the Monterey Historics (Sat.). I also plan on visiting the Carmel concours and Canepa Design. I've heard The Quail gathering may have lots of Cobras, more so than the Pebble Beach concours.

###

Car shows and events
Aug 14 (Tue), 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea Concours on the Avenue
Ocean Avenue, Carmel, Monterey, CA 93923
Phone (404) 237-2633
www.carmelconcours.com
$FREE general admission

Aug 14-15 (Tue-Wed), 2012
Automobilia Monterey
Embassy Suites Monterey Bay-Seaside
1441 Canyon Del Rey Boulevard, Seaside, CA
Phone (831) 393-1115
www.automobiliamonterey.com
$15/1 day, $20/2 days, general admission

Aug 15 (Wed), 2012
Gordon McCall's Motorworks Revival
Monterey Jet Center
300 Skypark Drive, Monterey CA 93940
Phone (831) 373-0100
www.mccallevents.com
$295/advance, $325/gate, general admission

Aug 16 (Thu), 2012
Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance
Pebble Beach to Carmel to Pebble Beach
www.pebblebeachconcours.net
$FREE spectators along route

Aug 17 (Fri), 2012
The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering
Quail Lodge Golf Club
8000 Valley Greens Drive, Carmel CA 93923
Phone (831) 620-8887
www.quaillodgeevents.com
$TBD general admission

Aug 17-19 (Fri-Sun), 2012
Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
1021 Monterey-Salinas Hwy, Salinas, CA 93908
www.mazdaraceway.com
$70/1 day, $130/3 days, general admission

Aug 19 (Sun), 2012
Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
The Lodge at Pebble Beach
1700 17-Mile Drive, Pebble Beach, CA 93953
www.pebblebeachconcours.net
$200 (advance), $250 (gate), general admission

Aug 19 (Sun), 2012
Concorso Italiano
Laguna Seca Golf Ranch
10520 York Road, Monterey, CA 93940
Phone (831) 373-3701
www.concorso.com
$125 general admission
Classic Car Auctions
Aug 16-18 (Thu-Sat), 2012 -- viewing Aug 16-18 (Thu-Sat)
Mecum Auction
Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa
1 Old Golf Course Road, Monterey, CA 93940
www.mecum.com
$15/day general admission

Aug 16-18 (Thu-Sat), 2012 -- viewing Aug 15-18 (Wed-Sat)
Russo & Steele Auction
Monterey-Fisherman's Wharf
Del Monte Avenue at Municipal Wharf 2, Monterey, CA 93940
www.russoandsteele.com
$20/1 day, $55/3 days, general admission

Aug 17-18 (Fri-Sat), 2012 -- viewing Aug 15-18 (Wed-Sat)
RM Auctions
Portola Hotel and Spa
Two Portola Plaza Monterey, CA 93940
www.rmauctions.com
$50 general admission

Aug 18-19 (Sat-Sun), 2012 -- viewing Aug 15-19 (Wed-Sun)
Gooding & Company
Pebble Beach Equestrian Center
3300 Portola Rd, Pebble Beach, CA 93953
www.goodingco.com
$40 general admission

Last edited by SunDude; 07-19-2012 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: formatting
Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
<snip>
It seems this is almost certain that this is the car that was referenced in another topic from the person whose relative had a Cobra but the person in charge wouldn't or didn't share the details, and then said "the car is going to auction". It certainly seems highly likely this is the car. It might be nice to link this material to that topic since that topic is locked.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If this does turn out to be the car in the above mentioned post, it would be nice to see some of you that were so quick to lable Mrs. Darling's nephew a fraud, issue an appology.