Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tkb289
  • 1 Post By Bernica

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby American announces 50th Anniversary FIA Cobra

This was posted on the Team Shelby site. I copied it from the news wire press release:

Quote:
Shelby American Commemorates 50th Anniversary FIA Cobra with Special Edition Car

Iconic Shelby FIA Cobra to be Celebrated
Business Wire
Shelby American, Inc. 1 hour ago

Shelby American Commemorates 50th Anniversary FIA Cobra with Special Edition Car

View photo
To celebrate the birth of the 289 Ford powered roadsters, Shelby American will offer 50 limited edition …

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

In 1964, Shelby American, today a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK) introduced the FIA version of the small block Cobra, which competed in the 1964 World Manufacturers Championship series against marques like Aston Martin, Jaguar and Corvette. To celebrate the birth of the 289 Ford powered roadsters, Shelby American will offer 50 limited edition continuation (CSX7000) Shelby 289 FIA Cobras. Each will be painted “Viking Blue” with FIA stripes and roundels, feature a black FIA interior, special billet anniversary badges, original style wheels and a variety of additional options. The 50th Anniversary FIA Shelby Cobra will be introduced at the annual Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale, Ariz, on Friday, Jan. 17, 2014.

“The 289 FIA Shelby Cobras were among the most important cars in American racing history,” said John Luft, president of Shelby American. “The FIA Cobras built during that period were piloted by racing legends including Ken Miles, Dan Gurney, Phil Hill and Bob Bondurant. Thus, some of the most revered drivers in the sport put the 289 FIA Cobra into the winner’s circle. Combining a robust, powerful American engine with a lightweight chassis was sheer brilliance. Shelby’s formula still resonates today and is followed by automakers worldwide.”

Shelby American built the 289 FIA Cobras for racing; modifications included a new dash, widened front and rear fenders, cut-back doors, new dampers, racing wheels featuring the pin-drive hub, oil cooler scoops and a competition spec 289 small block engine.

Today, the CSX7000 Continuation Shelby Cobra 289 FIA’s are component vehicles that can be fitted with a proper drive train by a customer or automotive professional. Each car is built to order and delivered as a rolling chassis, less drive train, with a Shelby American issued MSO.

“Our CSX7000 cars incorporate safety and performance improvements, without sacrificing driving excitement or originality,” added Vince LaViolette, senior designer and head of R&D at Shelby American. “With a small block V8 pushing only 2,100 lbs., it’s the lightest Cobra ever built with an incredible power-to-weight ratio. This allows the small block Cobra to dive deep into corners and pull through with incredible precision and accuracy.”

The Continuation Shelby Cobra 289 FIA vehicles retain everything from the authentic style suspension to the graceful body lines, but are upgraded to contemporary standards. Shelby American uses modern disc brakes, a stronger frame and the bodies are available in either aluminum or fiberglass. The 50th Anniversary Edition also features a complete exhaust for a small block Ford V8, a special fitted car cover and optional detachable steering wheel.

“The importance and historical significance of these cars was the fact that they brought a small shop in Southern California to the forefront of international racing on two continents within the same year,” said Shelby Expert and SAAC Member Jeff Gagnon. “Shelby American took it to Ferrari, Corvette and other well-supplied, well-funded and established race teams and manufacturers. That was no small feat, even in those simpler times.”

The 50th Anniversary CSX7000 FIA Continuation Cobra will begin at $94,995 for a fiberglass or $159,995 for an aluminum bodied car, excluding drive train. Each will be documented in our ‘World Registry’ by Shelby American. Cobras can be purchased through a network of Shelby American Cobra dealers. Information about options and availability can be found at Shelby American Inc. - 50th Anniversary Cobra FIA.

About Shelby American, Inc. and Carroll Shelby Licensing

Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby American manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. The company builds authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles; it offers the Shelby GT, 1000, GT350, GT500 Super Snake and GTS post-title packages for the 2005-2014 Ford Mustang. Shelby American also builds the Shelby Raptor muscle truck and Shelby Focus ST hot hatch. For more information, visit www.shelbyamerican.com. Shelby American is a subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI.PK). Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc., also a wholly owned division, is the exclusive holder of Carroll Shelby's trademarks and vehicle design rights. It also holds trademark rights for Shelby-branded apparel, accessories and collectibles. Info is at Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc..

Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: Shelby American Commemorates 50th Anniversary FIA Cobra with Special Edition Car | Business Wire

MULTIMEDIA AVAILABLE:Shelby American Commemorates 50th Anniversary FIA Cobra with Special Edition Car | Business Wire
TPRM
Scott Black, 214-520-3430
sblack@tprm.com
Here's the link at the Shelby site

Shelby American Inc. - 50th Anniversary Cobra FIA
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

About two years ago, SAI produced a limited 50th anniversary run of the Cobras with CSX8000's that were black/red:

Shelby American Inc. - 2012 GT350

Is the business plan to do a 50th anniversary run for the 427 as well? Street, then S/C, then competiton. That's a lot of 50th anniversary Cobras.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Doesn't say what tires it comes with. The Billboards in the pics? Probably an option.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Barrett-Jackson Unveiling

Here it is during the unveiling today in Scottsdale...
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Nice car! But, seems like a big premium for some "special" badging and a "special" car cover, but maybe I'm being too harsh. I know of a "special" FAM Cobra that still sits wrapped in plastic with no drive train. Don't see anything different on it other than the badging. I guess time will tell.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default The next new thing

Think of it this way, it's like a new Bra. They introduce new and different variations all the time, yet there are just so many positions you can shove a set of boobs into. However, if you really like boobs, you are going take good look into the next new version whether you are the owner, or the spectator. And if it's just different enough for that person, they are goiung to want it (or them) :-)
Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Point taken. However I would like to think that our cars tend to appreciate better without the impending upkeep and upgrades required from Victoria's Secret or a surgeon until the point that they become a "non-performing asset"
Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
About two years ago, SAI produced a limited 50th anniversary run of the Cobras with CSX8000's that were black/red:

Shelby American Inc. - 2012 GT350

Is the business plan to do a 50th anniversary run for the 427 as well? Street, then S/C, then competiton. That's a lot of 50th anniversary Cobras.
I had a heads up on an announcement and my own guess was that it was going to be the 427. But it took them almost two years to build the last batch. Maybe they will get manufacturing primed. The last time they were all sold at the show
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

If you will remember there was also a 40th anniversary edition......
Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Some pictures of the 50th FIA
Attached Images

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

I like this 50th anniversary FIA. Great idea, nicely executed and yes I must admit that I am very partial to the FIA.

I agree that the recent (50) 289s, now the (50) FIAs and then a possible (50) 427s is a lot of 50th anniversary Cobras, but I would imagine they will find homes pretty quickly.

For a CSX7000 roller … $94,995 in fiberglass or $159,995 in aluminum, is not inexpensive. Figure maybe $30K to finish, that's about $125K for a fiberglass car and about $190K for an aluminum car. For those with the passion and the resources, they would very be tempting.

Question for our resident experts, or those that have first hand knowledge of this program. With the yellow nose stripe, white roundels & white wheels, was there a specific CSX2xxx car these Cobras modeled after? Or is this a conglomeration of several FIAs?

For comparison, below are photos of CSX2323 that I took at Canepa several years ago now, when it was on display … have to say, to my mind it does not get much better than this.

CSX2323

CSX2323
Bartruff1 likes this.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The anniversary cars will be available in all of the FIA combinations and versions.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I assume they will do a GT350R also..........maybe 2015?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2114
Not Ranked     

Question for our resident experts, or those that have first hand knowledge of this program. With the yellow nose stripe, white roundels & white wheels, was there a specific CSX2xxx car these Cobras modeled after? Or is this a conglomeration of several FIAs?

For comparison, below are photos of CSX2323 that I took at Canepa several years ago now, when it was on display … have to say, to my mind it does not get much better than this.

CSX2323

CSX2323
[/quote]

tkb289,
I to am a fan of the 289 FIA cut back door cars, after all the Cobra Coupes along with these cars were the cars that challenged and beat Ferrari winning the 1965 World Manufacturer's Championship. There were five 289 FIA cut back door cars made specifically for the FIA Category III GT Class in the European Racing Series. For the 1964 season they were all painted the Viking Blue team color and had a stripe across the nose and front fenders (like CSX 2323 you show above). CSX 2259 had a white stripe, CSX two two six zero had a yellow stripe, CSX 2301 had a maroon stripe, CSX 2323 had a bright reddish-orange stripe and CSX 2345 had a white stripe. Hope this helps answer your question.
K
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SAI motto ...
If you build it, the suckers will come
Old 01-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Keep it up and the "Non-Special Editions" will be the rare ones!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

Gorgeous car. Props to SAI for continuing the proud tradition of these cars. Time and the markets will decide if the entry price with these limited-editions will make for a good "investment". In the meantime, those who are so inclined to use the cars for the original intended purpose (i.e. drive the snot out of them) will be immediately rewarded.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Well, these new cars are 25k more that the 2012 50th anniversary cars. Looks to be a good start on those "investments". Where does it all stop?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Yep, an extra 25k each time for some new badging. Sorry, I couldn't resist posting this link. Blame it on my Seahawks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are!