Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Neutral     
Default Alternator charging issue

I have a battery charging issue that I'm struggling to fix.

A bit of background, because this has been a complicated issue:

First, I had problems with the car starting (out of the blue, not because I made any changes). The solenoid tested bad and was replaced. Then the ignition switch stayed in the "on" position and ran down the battery and that was replaced. Then the start circuit seemed to work, but the battery stopped charging. I will say that right before all of this happened, I briefly saw a weird "ticking" of the ammeter while it was showing charge (while driving), but the needle would tick back to the middle neutral position. I haven't seen that before. Next day, car wouldn't start and the above happened.

It feels like I must have a loose wire somewhere, but I've checked all the obvious ones and they are tight. The car starts fine, but the ampmeter shows discharge when it's running and the fans are on. I have confirmed with a multimeter at the battery that the battery is not being charged.

I have had the alternator tested and it's good. I replaced the voltage regulator. I checked connections under the dash and they seem tight (I tightened a few). I did not remove the dash, but crawled under it, so it wasn't a thorough inspection as space is tight and I could have missed something.

The only other clue I have is that when the starting problem went away and changed to a charging issue, the "on" ignition light stopped working, which seems to also be referred to as the "alternator problem" light. The bulb visually appears Ok, but I have ordered a replacement. The wiring diagram shows that the other side of this connection is the "I" terminal on the voltage regulator. I find it hard to believe that a bad bulb would be a cause of this problem and is more likely a symptom. I can say that with the bulb installed, there is no continuity between the two leads going to the bulb and it seems like there should be.

Thoughts?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 09-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351W
Not Ranked     

Very difficult to be of much help without being there, but te only two things I can think of is to check for good engine ground to chassis or I have had battery's show 12V but have no amps. Good luck
Old 09-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Thoughts?
The "idiot light" also functions to excite the voltage regulator. If the itsy bitsy filament in that light burns out, your alternator will not charge.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

From my automotive shop textbook, circa 1974...

427sharpe likes this.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I sort of went through the same thing. I had a bad cell in a brand new Optima battery. First it was a bad VR. Then became a bad battery.

Phil
Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Check the wire between the alternator and the voltage regulator. Run a temporary jumper wire between the two to see if it eliminates the bad signal. A faulty wire in mine kept telling the system to charge the battery, resulting in a couple of fried batteries before it was figured out.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
I sort of went through the same thing. I had a bad cell in a brand new Optima battery. First it was a bad VR. Then became a bad battery.

Phil
I replaced my Optima's as part of this goose chase, so that's not it either.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-07-2015, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The "idiot light" also functions to excite the voltage regulator. If the itsy bitsy filament in that light burns out, your alternator will not charge.
I was worried this might be the case and I'm thinking this might be it (sort of a dumb design). Here's my guess as to what happened:

Loose wire behind the dash (there were several I tightened, but none were super loose other than one of the leads to the panel lights dimmer knob), caused some of the other failures (solenoid, ignition switch, voltage regulator and ignition idiot light) and I'm hoping when I replace the bulb (all the filaments look good, but hopefully it's bad) it will all work.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-07-2015, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekendwrench View Post
Very difficult to be of much help without being there, but te only two things I can think of is to check for good engine ground to chassis or I have had battery's show 12V but have no amps. Good luck
All my main grounds are tight and have been double checked.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was worried this might be the case and I'm thinking this might be it (sort of a dumb design). Here's my guess as to what happened:

Loose wire behind the dash (there were several I tightened, but none were super loose other than one of the leads to the panel lights dimmer knob), caused some of the other failures (solenoid, ignition switch, voltage regulator and ignition idiot light) and I'm hoping when I replace the bulb (all the filaments look good, but hopefully it's bad) it will all work.
The electrical design is really, really simple. One side of the light is fed off the ignition switch, the other side of the light runs to the voltage regulator. If the system is not charging, the connection at the VR will be grounded, and as soon as the system starts charging, that ground becomes 12v positive. That's why when you turn your key on, but don't start the car, the light is on, but goes off as soon as the charging begins. If you turn the key on, and the light does not come on, then something is wrong on the circuit.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hopefully it is the bulb (even though the filament does not appear to be broken). I'll know on Wed.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The ignition light bulb was the final problem (even though visually it appears fine). Replaced it and now the system charges.

Thanks Pat.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-11-2015, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So if I wanted to wire a resistor in parallel with the ignition bulb circuit as a back up in case the bulb burns out, what ohm rating should the resistor be? I've seen 560 ohms referenced elsewhere. Sound right?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So if I wanted to wire a resistor in parallel with the ignition bulb circuit as a back up in case the bulb burns out, what ohm rating should the resistor be? I've seen 560 ohms referenced elsewhere. Sound right?
No. You want a 15 ohm resistor. Now, at 14 volts a 15 ohm load will draw a little under one amp and make a little under 14 watts. So, order a 15 ohm, 20 watt resistor off Amazon. Here:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Watt-15R-Wirewound-Cement-Resistors/dp/B0087ZDBW4"]2x 20 Watt 15R Wirewound Cement Resistors 20W 15 Ohm 5%: Single Resistors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/311j04URzIL.@@AMEPARAM@@311j04URzIL[/ame]
You don't have to wire it directly around your alternator light, unless it's convenient to do so. All you have to do is route it to the voltage regulator and the ignition switch just like the light is wired. You can test it, of course, by disconnecting your alternator light and running your car. If you're getting over 13 volts then you know it worked.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool. Thanks Pat.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-13-2015, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So after getting some push back over on CACC from others saying this resistor was too big, I measured the existing circuit, which is 10 ohms.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So after getting some push back over on CACC from others saying this resistor was too big, I measured the existing circuit, which is 10 ohms.
I tried to clear it up with a pic from the old Ford literature. The problem is that we're still using 1965 technology and a lot of guys are thinking "modern" wiring.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-08-2016 at 11:06 AM..
Old 09-13-2015, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the old crap .

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-13-2015, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Leave well enough alone. Buy a second bulb and keep it handy in case this happens again.

Now go drive it before El Niño hits and floods the country.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Leave well enough alone. Buy a second bulb and keep it handy in case this happens again.

Now go drive it before El Niño hits and floods the country.
Doug just likes playing "Stump the Band" with me.