Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 05:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
The paperwork doesn't really say DenBeste did the installation, only that it's a Carroll Shelby Engine Company engine. Becker should be able to tell you if he was involved in the installation or if he sold purely a roller to his customer. Unfortunately, he's not always responsive. In my opinion, that installation looks cleaner than the Becker installations I've seen before.
Will they not just tell you who the original owner was, and then you can call him up and chat with him? If I'm going to fly all the way to California, drop $130k, rent a hotel for the day, a rental car, and screw around with a car salesman, the least they can do is give me the name and number of the original owner. In fact, I would view their refusal to do so as a deal killer.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Will they not just tell you who the original owner was, and then you can call him up and chat with him? If I'm going to fly all the way to California, drop $130k, rent a hotel for the day, a rental car, and screw around with a car salesman, the least they can do is give me the name and number of the original owner. In fact, I would view their refusal to do so as a deal killer.
The dealer should be able to communicate with the owner to get the info you seek in all responsible cases. People use dealers for a reason - they don't want to deal with all this type of BS with potential buyers. Some aren't good at communicating, some simply don't want to, and some simply don't have the time/energy so they use a broker/dealer. This is not uncommon, but the dealer needs to do some work other than simply collect a check before presenting the car for sale with unanswered questions.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Maybe the answer is somewhere in the upcoming registry? Or maybe SAAC can help?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

When you think how much it originally cost to build that car, and remembering that every one of our cars is essentially a hand built "one-off" job, and then you think that the guy only put 2,500 miles on it, and now wants to dump it, if it were me, I'd want to talk to him. If I were selling the car on his behalf, I would tell him "you know the purchaser will probably want to talk to you," and if the previous owner refuses to chat with the prospective purchaser, there better be a really damn fine reason why. These are very, very unique cars. Each one is different, and some of them are fraught with problems. Personally, I wouldn't touch it without chatting with the man that originally spec'd it out and paid for it to be put together. If he gave me the warm and fuzzy feeling, and I liked the way the car behaved when I drove it, then the cost difference between that car and a custom built ERA would have to be balanced against the year long wait to get the latter.
Bernica likes this.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Some owners don't want to be contacted. I had some questions on a used Mercedes a bunch of years ago and the dealer who took it on trade said the owner (a well known individual) didn't want to be contacted.

There also may be no way for the dealer to know who the original owner was. The car may have passed through several hands before it got to him.

In any case, a professional PPI should allay all fears.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I'm kind of surprised that the original owner didn't pop up here at some time during the original buy / build...
But then....maybe he did and we just didn't know it.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
As far as I know, you want to inspect paint work under fluorescent light, not in the sun. Any top paint shop uses fluorescent. Natural sun can sometimes show flaws, but it more often washes them out and makes them difficult to see.
Lippy, just for clarity, it's obviously going to be in a warehouse with some sort of overhead lighting, which will be used for an initial inspection. But I'd also want to see it in the sunlight as well, if possible. Sort of depends on the warehouse, the indoor lights and the ceiling height. The experts will probably use all sorts of different lighting (e.g., fluorescent, xenon, LED, etc.), but they'll have a portable unit too, like a flashlight for example.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Some owners don't want to be contacted. I had some questions on a used Mercedes a bunch of years ago and the dealer who took it on trade said the owner (a well known individual) didn't want to be contacted.

There also may be no way for the dealer to know who the original owner was. The car may have passed through several hands before it got to him.

In any case, a professional PPI should allay all fears.
This is not a used Mercedes, it's not a Volvo, and it's not a Camry with a dent in the door. It's a six figure custom built car that was barely even broken in -- in fact it's not even broken in. If the original owner can't pick up the phone and spend 15 minutes with me then f*** him and the horse he rode in on.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, the roller was offered here back By Mr. Becker in 2010 for $49,995 plus options. Nice run up in pricing.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...000s-for-sale/

Shelby CSX price increase!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Well, good OPINION.

Forum members, volunteers as they are, give opinions.

Professionals give advice.

I've communicated with the OP off line about a few people who will inspect the car.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
This is not a used Mercedes, it's not a Volvo, and it's not a Camry with a dent in the door. It's a six figure custom built car that was barely even broken in -- in fact it's not even broken in. If the original owner can't pick up the phone and spend 15 minutes with me then f*** him and the horse he rode in on.
Just googling around, I can't find any info on the original owner. If you can talk to the original owner, then great, but it's not absolutely necessary. Just get a PPI, the cars aren't that complicated.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Well, good OPINION.

Forum members, volunteers as they are, give opinions.

Professionals give advice.

I've communicated with the OP off line about a few people who will inspect the car.
If the car passes the initial go-over by Lippy and / or Rodknock, then by all means a PPI would help put the buyer more at ease. Lippy and Rodknock have been around the block a few times and I would value their opinions as well.

One thing I am certain about....once you put the money down, you won't be gettin' no help or calls back from the dealer!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Lippy and Rodknock have been around the block a few times and I would value their opinions as well.
Well, Lippy maybe...
Old 05-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, Lippy maybe...
You just insulted Lippy, a fellow ERA owner, who actually built his ERA, unlike you, who had Peter build it with your checkbook.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
... unlike you, who had Peter build it with your checkbook.
... and damn proud of it.
Millsy likes this.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... and damn proud of it.
Well, you're also proud of the two roll bars wrapped by pipe insulation on a beige-colored Cobra, so you also have that going for you too.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

If in fact DenBeste (aka Shelby Engine Co) did the motor, one would think that he knows a little about the car and whoever he built it for...
Old 05-11-2016, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
If in fact DenBeste (aka Shelby Engine Co) did the motor, one would think that he knows a little about the car and whoever he built it for...
Maybe. They could have just sold the engine to the original owner or to the shop that did the installation. Or they could have done the installation at their own shop in Laa Vegas. Hence my suggestion earlier to contact Tom at Speedway Classis Cars. If DenBeste was involved in the installation Tom would know.

Someone suggested checking with the SAAC registrar. That's a good idea also.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys... I'm not gong to buy this particular car. I spoke with Lippy and told him he no longer needed to inspect it. I have been in contact with Mr Coombe ( Cobrakiwi) and he has a rolling chassis that has never been completed . He is getting the 427 SO finished now. I view the roller yesterday and think that's the car I'm going to go with. I may start a thread on it as I do have some questions. I meet Craig and he seemed very very knowledgeable and one heck of a guy!!!!!

I appreciate all the advice and guidance .... This site rocks!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Fantastic!
Please keep us posted.