Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Titling A CSX 4000/6000 With MSO

Is there anything you need to watch out for or ensure when using an MSO to get your first title to make sure it gets registered as a 1965 Ford ( as I think all continuations are). I'm in Florida and we have a pretty easy registration procedure but wanted to ensure it didn't get "replica" or any something else snuck in there.

E5
Old 06-09-2016, 05:53 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5USMC View Post
Is there anything you need to watch out for or ensure when using an MSO to get your first title to make sure it gets registered as a 1965 Ford ( as I think all continuations are). I'm in Florida and we have a pretty easy registration procedure but wanted to ensure it didn't get "replica" or any something else snuck in there.

E5
It's not rocket science, go to the Florida DMV web site and read the instructions. Download and fill out the forms specified, take your MSO, along with all receipts to the appropriate office, pay your taxes, and walk out with plates.

Yes, in Florida, it really is that simple.

As for wanting it to read 1965, that will be up to the interpretation of the Florida laws on the books as of today, and not yesterday. Again, yes it is that simple, and you should not even think twice about getting your car on the road.

If you are one of those people who wants the bragging rights for those uniformed to ask "is it real" (do a search of this forum and see the Ad Naseum on the subject) so you can answer, "yes it's a 1965, see, look at the registration", then you bought the car for the wrong reasons.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-09-2016, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just want the title correct.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:34 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Follow the directions on the DMV web site

Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks!!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Define "correct." You don't have a 1965 car. What each state considers "correct" varies. In my case correct means it is identified as a replica but all the inspection and emission benefits of a 1965.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

There's a box on the Florida form that says "REPLICA" and "KIT CAR." Make sure you don't check "THOSE" boxes, because you definitely don't want your REPLICA and KIT CAR to be titled as a REPLICA or KIT CAR.

Oy vey.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82040.pdf

When you hit the car show circuit, make sure you show everyone that your registration says "1965 Ford" because we all know it was built in 1965.

1965 is THIS year right? Let's get into Mr. Peabody's "Way Back" machine with Mr. Sherman and travel back to 1965, when you bought your Cobra.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

If it is a CSX, then it will clearly show date of manufacture on the MSO.
Why so many folks get hung up on having their registration call it a '65 when it's not is beyond me. Trust me, it won't fool or impress anyone here! As others have said, just follow your local DMV rules. Also, in many states you need to have your big stack of receipts showing all the parts used to complete the roller.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
If it is a CSX, then it will clearly show date of manufacture on the MSO.
Why so many folks get hung up on having their registration call it a '65 when it's not is beyond me. Trust me, it won't fool or impress anyone here! As others have said, just follow your local DMV rules. Also, in many states you need to have your big stack of receipts showing all the parts used to complete the roller.
As the OP said, he/she wants to make sure it gets registered as a 1965 Ford, be 1965 Ford because that's how "all continuations are." You know, since "continuations" are in a different class of Cobra, since they're the only Cobras built in 2016 that can be registered as a 1965.

The OP doesn't want his/her Cobra to be labeled a "replica." The MSO says 1965 so it's a 1965.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lol.... Not trying to fool or impress anyone with a CSX4000/6000 being a real 65 Cobra.... It isn't. Just wanted to ensure I got the title correct as that can mean a lot to a future buyer. I'm new here and certainly appreciate the info and assistance but no need to be rude to someone just learning his way about owning CSX car.

Thanks again.....
E5
Dwight likes this.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Lol.... Not trying to fool or impress anyone with a CSX4000/6000 being a real 65 Cobra.... It isn't. Just wanted to ensure I got the title correct as that can mean a lot to a future buyer. I'm new here and certainly appreciate the info and assistance but no need to be rude to someone just learning his way about owning CSX car.

Thanks again.....
E5
Your choice of words. Not mine. A few others had the same reaction, not just me. You said you don't want your car to be titled with the word "replica" when in fact, it is, and there's a box for "replica" on the FL title application that should be checked. The question is, will you check it?

And to the best of my knowledge, ALL Cobra replicas (FFR, BDR, KMP, SPF, CSX) have 1965 on their MSO, not just "continuations."
Old 06-09-2016, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

What I have learned is that what it says on the title has little or no relevance to the actual, real car it purports to represent.

FWIW, your title may say "1965 Ford", but if I purchased it from you and registered it in my jurisdiction the registration would identify it as a "[Year of Manufacture] Replica / Kit Car" - the authorities make the decision as to what it says, not me. IOW, if it was built this year it would say "2016 Replica / Kit Car".
Old 06-09-2016, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Thanks again.....
E5

It DOES mean a lot to a future buyer, especially from certain states with emissions and other registration tax implications.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Thanks again.....
E5
No one here trying to be rude. Stay with us and you will learn!
It's a tough crowd at times, but a bunch of good folks.
Welcome aboard and good luck with your car. Which is it? a 4000 or a 6000 series?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
What I have learned is that what it says on the title has little or no relevance to the actual, real car it purports to represent.

FWIW, your title may say "1965 Ford", but if I purchased it from you and registered it in my jurisdiction the registration would identify it as a "[Year of Manufacture] Replica / Kit Car" - the authorities make the decision as to what it says, not me. IOW, if it was built this year it would say "2016 Replica / Kit Car".
And no original Cobras were properly titled as "Ford", they should be "Shelby" although some did end up as a "Ford" (usually because the DMV got a pile of applications from the Ford dealer and the clerk just automatically put "Ford" in for make. I sold a new Jeep that got titled as a "Ford" this way!)

Not a Ford and not a 1965. However some states are now doing the SEMA thing and titling as "year and model of replication" so a "1965 Cobra" can be done.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In MN, they don't give a rip what the title says - they will accept any state's title as is for the most part and continue with a new MN title stated identically. Same goes for the VIN. The only thing that matters is the the 1st 4 digits (1965, 1967, 2016....) If over 20 years old you don't pay tax and don't need annual registration tabs if you register it as a collector vehicle. That's a BIG deal when buying prospective cars - at least here in MN.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah... I've seen/read where some CSX 4000/6000 cars are titled as "65 Cobras" and some are titled as "65 Fords".... I meant to put that in my original post as I was confused as to what was really correct . Not here to get involved in a "is it real or replica debate". Everyone has their opinion and they are welcome to them. I always felt continuations are Shelby Cobras and year made.... I.e. 2016 Shelby Cobra

It's a 4000 series car but haven't completely closed the deal. Hopefully this week.

Nah... Take more than a few tool bag remarks, although I'm sure great guys, to run me off. I just bite my tounge and move along since I'm new and see no sense in alienating myself out of the gate..... Maybe later !!!! : )

Last edited by E5USMC; 06-09-2016 at 12:16 PM..
Old 06-09-2016, 12:12 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yeah... I've seen/read where some CSX 4000/6000 cars are titled as "65 Cobras" and some are titled as "65 Fords".... I meant to put that in my original post as I was confused as to what was really correct . Not here to get involved in a "is it real or replica debate". Everyone has their opinion and they are welcome to them. I always felt continuations are Shelby Cobras and year made.... I.e. 2016 Shelby Cobra

It's a 4000 series car but haven't completely closed the deal. Hopefully this week.

Nah... Take more than a few tool bag remarks, although I'm sure great guys, to run me off. I just bite my tounge and move along since I'm new and seen no sense in alienating myself out of the gate..... Maybe later !!!! : )
Please tell me this is not the incomplete car in NY that has been listed on Ebay for the last two years

Not many other CSX4000 series cars still on MSO these days.....best to take care before spending your hard earned money.

If the car was previously titled and the owner still has the MSO, the VIN will already be in the system which all states now share access to. Make sure before you purchase as I know of two "new owners" that did not like the way their CSX4000's were titled and attempted to retitle as "1965", only to spend 10's of thousands of dollars in legal fees to keep their car out of a Federal/State impound yard

Bill S.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's not that car ... Thanks for the warning though
Old 06-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Nah... Take more than a few tool bag remarks, although I'm sure great guys, to run me off. I just bite my tounge and move along since I'm new and see no sense in alienating myself out of the gate..... Maybe later !!!! : )
Nice to know that I have been elevated from "rude" to "tool bag."

Yes, no sense in alienating yourself out of the gate. Nice start!