Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shelby American, Inc. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/)
-   -   CSX1000 vs CSX4000 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/64768-csx1000-vs-csx4000.html)

Cobrafan1 05-26-2005 06:41 PM

CSX1000 vs CSX4000

Was wondering what the differences are if any between the CSX1000 vs CSX4000 cars. I already know about the "made in England by AC, and the Girling brakes. Its my understanding that the bodies are hand made vs stamped like the Kirkham bodied cars. However, I like the symetry the Kirkham body offers as it was digitized. Also its my understanding the Kirkham body is a little thicker and slightly stiffer alloy. Specifically how is the finish of the AC body? Are there any visual differences in terms of shaping of details? Any other differences that are not readily apparent? Any feedback would be appreciated.

computerworks 05-26-2005 07:22 PM

Re: CSX1000 vs CSX4000

Quote:

Originally posted by Cobrafan1

Was wondering what the differences are if any between the CSX1000 vs CSX4000 cars.
I have gone over a CSX1000 car with a "fine tooth comb". :cool: (..or at least, a vernier caliper)

It is nicely done. Honestly, with the AC moniker, one (me) has a tendency to look more for the negatives rather than the positives... but there are not many.

The body is good. Although it is subjective, I think they missed nailing the curves on the rear fenders a bit; also the rear flares seem understated.

To their credit, they have captured the trunk sheet metal accurately... including shape details in two areas that are not done correctly on either the Kirkham or the Shelby.

Conversely, they have modified the panel under the firewall to one that is not authentic.

Body differences (stamped vs. hand-rolled) are moot...both need to be sanded and paint conceals all. :D

The Kirkham symmetry thing is overstated...there are symmetric inconsistancies in both bodies.

A glaring issue on the CSX1000 car is the glossy black painted frame. :confused:

Finally, realize that the CSX1000 cars are fully outfitted in Las Vegas...from the corners on up.

I do have some detail pics if there is an area you'd like to see.

Specialk 05-26-2005 07:40 PM

I didn't notice the CSX1000 cars being non-symmetrical. My eyes aren't that good! If you're not making the closeout panels, and the body is relatively close (side to side), then that is a non issue. Also, the car I worked on did not have Girling brakes, it had Baers. I have heard that Shelby no longer supplies Girling brakes, but I cannot verify that for sure.

I agree, the gloss black painted chassis needs to go! :CRY:

Cobrafan1 05-26-2005 07:49 PM

Ron, can you post those pics. Thanks.

Power Surge 06-03-2005 09:22 PM

The 1000 cars are nice if you want to be as close to an original as you get. The AC made body, as Ron already stated, has better accuracies to it, and of course carries the AC name.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Kirkham bodies are "stamped" in any manner. According to David, they are hand made by the polish metalworkers just like all other aluminum body cars. You can't "stamp" a piece of sheet aluminum into a different shape like you can with steel, it needs to be vastly "worked" into it's new shape.

As for the Kirkham symmetry thing, they simply made the left side of the car the same shape as the right side. This is only a factor when comparing it to an original CSX, because of how out of whack and asymmetrical the originals were.

Also, you are correct about the thicker Kirkham body. It's considerably thicker than an original. I have no idea how it compares in thickness to a 1000 car.

Cobrafan1 06-03-2005 10:03 PM

I'm wondering how symmetrical the new CSX1000 cars are to the original Cobra's. We all read stories of out one detail on one side was off by up to 1/4" compared to the same detail on the opposite side. And how the original Cobra bodies were made by "drunken winos". Sure this can all be exagerated but I'm sure there's some truth also. Question is, had the quality of the CSX1000 care improved in this area?

Power Surge 06-04-2005 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cobrafan1

I'm wondering how symmetrical the new CSX1000 cars are to the original Cobra's. We all read stories of out one detail on one side was off by up to 1/4" compared to the same detail on the opposite side. And how the original Cobra bodies were made by "drunken winos". Sure this can all be exagerated but I'm sure there's some truth also. Question is, had the quality of the CSX1000 care improved in this area?
I'm sure the 1000 cars are built much closer to being symmetrical than the originals. Some of original cars were off MUCH more than a 1/4" from side to side. The Kirkhams own CSX3104 is a good example of this. If you look at the front headlight/marker light area, one side is pointing forward, and the other side is pointing out into left field somewhere :3DSMILE: .

scuderia 06-13-2005 10:21 PM

Hey Friends,

Could you please post any pictures? Also, do you have any idea how they are prized (prizes for roller or completed)?

Thank you very much

scuderia 06-14-2005 12:09 PM

Hey Guys, please help me with my question (see above).

Thank you so much

ERA Chas 06-14-2005 12:23 PM

I believe the gentleman means "priced".

pk 06-14-2005 12:54 PM

well I think maybe prized is the right word when you figure a csx 1000 is $140,000 USD for a ROLLER! and $35,000 for a Shelby alu block 427 and D. Kee topldr.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...hlight=csx1000

$175,000 done prize money indeed
pk

nikbj68 06-14-2005 02:05 PM

AC Body symmetry/quality?

AC CARS(UK, Malta, CT, *delete as applicable)Are delighted to announce the launch of the Classic Ace.
Modelled on an original Ace Bristol and faithfully recreating every subtle detail and delightful curve.
See our detailed photgraphs below:
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...702dc1-med.JPG
The graceful lines,
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...702db1-med.JPG
The flowing curves,
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...702da1-med.JPG
The perfect panel fit.
All enquiries to me @
"noyoucanthaveanAC@Anycost.com"
I thankyou.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Specialk 06-14-2005 03:03 PM

Scuderia,

Here is a Link to Gessford Motor Works, a Shelby dealer:

http://www.gessford.com/images/ShelbyCobra.htm

He lists out the pricing on the various rollers that Shelby offers. I recently finished a CSX1000 car and the quality of the roller I recieved was stunning. The car was a trophy winning show car as delivered. I have some photos of a CSX1000 body that I will edit and post in a bit.

nikbj68:

Posts like yours are not appreciated in the Manufacturers Forum's.

Specialk 06-14-2005 03:13 PM

Photos of a CSX1000 series body:

CSX1004 Body Photos

BevanWright 06-14-2005 09:01 PM

Funny - I appreciated NickBJ68's photos very much - very funny. Where are they from - whats the story with the rather poor finish?

I may have missed this somewhere - but why are the Shelby replicas of Shelbys referred to as CSX1000s again?

scuderia 06-14-2005 09:43 PM

specialk:
Thank you very much for this interesting link. I will be in Minneapolis at the end of next week so perhaps I could visit Gessford Motor the other day.
Are you the owner of csxinfo.net? For me it's one of the best site if you want to have a closer look on one of the several cobra types. I hope to see an update in the near future.

nikbj68:
You are so funny - thank you!

erachas:
You're right, priced instead of prized - thank you too!

Specialk 06-14-2005 09:52 PM

scuderia, csxinfo is mine. Thanks for the compliments.

All,

I never said the photos weren't funny.

nikbj68 06-14-2005 10:08 PM

Kris- My sincerest apologies for any offence caused.

The photos are of a 'write off' Ace Bristol that my Dad purchased in '62 after it had been flipped end over end and barrel-rolled.
He 'straightened' it out with nothing more than a woolly hat and rubber hammer, in the street outside his house over the winter!

I wish to make it clear that the finish of the current production from AC Cars(Wherever) is superior to that found in the pictures.
Nik.

Excaliber 06-14-2005 11:43 PM

Nik, I love the pics! It don't get more "real" than that. :D

scuderia 06-15-2005 09:37 AM

Hey Nik, brillant Gallery, especially all those pictures of 39PH. Your 21st birthday must have been very exciting.... as my 31st, have a look in my gallery => CSX7045.

cheers
Daniel