Carroll Shelby - Shelby 427 FE Engine Parts and Services
s
Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby Enterprises Inc.
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4788 with a Dawkins performance 490 ci iron genesis block hydrualic roller
Not Ranked     
Default Feeding csx4788

Het gang,
will plumbing the two -6 fuel lines from the fuel pumps to a fuel distribution block to a holley fuel pressure regulator (3/8 " pipe connector) to a large summit fuel filter (3/8 " pipe connector) to -8 aeroquip hose to a -8 aeroquip fuel log to a 750 cfm holley 4150hp double pumper (mechanical secondaries) on a 1965 10:1 holman moody 427 side oiler with edelbrock heads (modified to 2.19 intake) putting out ~ 525 hp at the crank give adequate fuel flow if fuel pressure is measured off the other end of the fuel log? Thanks.
John(;-)
Old 11-01-2006, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

7 to 7.5 psi.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4788 with a Dawkins performance 490 ci iron genesis block hydrualic roller
Not Ranked     
Default okay...

Okay - that is about the fuel pressure I was planning on, but will fuel FLOW be adequate with the way I was going to plumb it for a 427 fe big block? Sorry for not being specific enough
John(;-)
Old 11-01-2006, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     

Yes it will be good. It would be ok if you used -6 all the way to the carb. 525hp is pretty tame.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Thanks Kris!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

The set up your builder describes sounds similar to the way I plumbed my engine.
I ran 10AN hose from the pump to the intake side of the fuel filter, next in line is the fuel pressure regulator, after the regulator comes the fuel pressure guage. From the output side of the guage to the fuel log the line size is reduced to 8AN and then from the ouput of the fuel log I ran two 6AN lines from the log to the carbs. I am feeding this configuration with a Holley Black fuel pump.
With the pressure guage being placed AFTER the filter and regulator I get an accurate reading of the fuel pressure going to my carbs while being able to watch for a pressure drop when large quanities of fuel are demanded (no drop off occoured). This all runs to a dual quad set up of Holley 750's with mechanical secondaries, which holds a constant pressure of 7.2 psi no matter what position the throttle is in.
By reducing line size as you get closer to the carbs it helps maintatin pressure while still supplying a healthy volume of fuel to keep things happy.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by lineslinger; 11-01-2006 at 10:37 AM..
Old 11-01-2006, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

I would think so.

I ran two 6AN fuel lines, a single line combining both the electric pumps, and a single line to the mechanical pump, both lines then going to a distribution Y block, and then 8AN line coming from it to a fuel filter and to the carb.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 11-01-2006, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default more thanks

thanks anthony - that is exactly what I was looking for.
John(;-)
Old 11-01-2006, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

With my first engine, a stroked 427, 477 ci, I had a problem with fuel starvation very noticible on the drag strip. I would get partway down the track, and near the end of 2nd gear, before shifting into third, when the engine would start to stumble, and continue to stumble after shifting into 3rd and then 4th, the rest of the way down the track. I could tell I was way down on power as there was little G-Force as compared to 1st and most of second gear. Initially, I had assumed it was my rev limitor, but then later realized it was my fuel supply. I was only running off the mechanical pump, a carter street pump, and I had forgot to turn the electric pumps on. The engine had dyno'd at 570 hp. I had two 6 AN lines running forward, one line running from the tank to the mech fuel pump, entering the fuel pump with a 90 degree elbow. The other 6 AN line ran from both of the electric pumps to a T-fitting on the outflow of the mechanical pump, combining the outflow of the mech pump with the outflow from the electric pumpd, and then up to the filter and then the single carb. To me, it looked like there would be flow restriction at the 90 elbow at the mech pump inflo, as well as at the T-fitting at the mech pump outflow.

With my second engine, I again ran the two 6AN lines, one from the tank to the input of the mechanical pump, but connected with a 90 degree radias fitting instead of a 90 elbow, for better flow on the suction, low pressure side. Instead of running a T-fitting, I put a 90 elbow on the outflow of the mech pump due to space limitations, confinements, figuring that the 90 elbow won't limit flow as much on the outflow side compared to the inflow side. I then ran a 6AN line from the mech pump outflow elbow to a Y-block, also connecting the other 6AN line from the electric pumps, and then an 8AN line from the Y-block outflow to the filter, and then carb. I have yet to really test it, but the car was chassis dyno'd, put out est 570+ flywheel hp without any fuel starvation problems, running the eletric pumps as well. I ran the car on the street with just the mech pump, and it didn't stumble. I really need to test it on the track to see if this set-up is better, which I think it is.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 11-01-2006 at 07:46 PM..
Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's "just" a street car

Thanks anthony,
my little cobra is going to live its life on the street. I have 2 road racing mustangs that are faster and I don't feel as bad about them getting rock and rubber chips. I am planning on taking my cobra to the western states cobra bash and checking out the track in reno though, but I figure I will be with other cobras so there will be less chance of damage.
John(;-)
Old 11-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Avoid 90 degree fittings like the one shown in the outlet port of the fuel regulator. If you must turn 90 degrees, use one of the high flow bent tubing fittings.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Sometimes 90's can't be avoided, such as the 90 fitting feeding the fuel log on wtm442's small block. But he is right, as a rule the more 90's in line the more flow restriction realized.
A single 90 in a low pressure system conducting a fluid with the viscosity of gasoline is of no consequence. Now if you are pumping oil at 100 psi that changes everything, I was careful not to include any 90 degree fittings when designing my oil circulating/cooling system.

Last edited by lineslinger; 11-02-2006 at 08:49 PM..