Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     
Default Early Christmas .... mid 60`s Cobra photos

Out walking my dog this afternoon between the rain-showers and as I walked by a neighbor`s house he asked me to wait as he had some things he wanted to know if I was interested in . I should add that he would stop by every now and then when I was building my ERA . He came out with a large envelope and said they were Cobra pictures etc inside .... and that he had always wanted a 289 car . Inside was a book ...Ford Cobra Guide by Bill Carroll , printed in 1974 ( sold for $2.95 ! ) , a May , 1986 Automobile magazine with an Autokraft Mk IV on the cover and a good writeup with pictures inside .... and LOTS of photos from 1965 to 1971 taken at Road Atlanta , the SCCA Nationals in Savannah and one other track . Most are 289 cars , but there are some pictures of Gram Shaw dated May 1-2 , 1965 in a 289 Cobra , Don Russel ( son of ex SC Governor ) in 427 Cobra and a HUGE ( 11 by 14 ) black and white of Gordon Meffert in his B/P 289 Cobra at speed at Road Atlanta in November 1971 . Plus many other smaller pictures of street Cobras at the track .
You never can tell when you might get lucky .... and looks like he will be getting as many rides as he wants when it gets warmer !
There is a Santa Clause !
Old 12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Bobcat,
i would say I'm happy for you, but no pictures it didn't happen. Good story though.

Could you scan a couple so we could stop drooling?
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 12-15-2009, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

what a timing, lucky you
it's mandatory to show us some of b&w pictures after your teaser
Old 12-16-2009, 05:07 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Of course you know that they are absolutely right Bobcat. Its poor form to titillate us with "stories" of picture stashes from long ago and then not have the "common courtasy" to scan & post some so that those of us who are less fortunate could have a look. Poor form indeed.....................................

Lucky bastige!

Last edited by lovehamr; 12-17-2009 at 07:08 AM..
Old 12-16-2009, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys .... unfortunately I don`t have a working scanner at this time . I`m going through the photos now and will take them to a place downtown that says they can scan them and put them either on a disc or memory stick for me. After that , I should be able to post them .... if I can figure out how to do that !
I read part of the book last night ... the part where the author , Bill Caroll , has a lengthy interview with with Cecil Bowman who prepared Shelby`s engines for "competition running in Carroll Shelby`s Cobras ." " Details were given on how he goes about modifying an engine for maximum performance and what he considers the most valuable techniques for maintaining a high performance engine in raceworthy condition ". Really cool to hear from someone who was involved in the program ..... and hope that the book is accurate .

Bob

PS ... the Gordon Meffert car finished 2nd in the B/P race back in November 1971 .
Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

Wow those engine prep details would also be cool to read.
Your a lucky man Bob.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bobcat the quick and dirty way is to simply lay out a picture and take a picture of it with the digital camera. If you fill the frame with the old picture it actually works pretty well.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...just checking in, nope, no pics yet, I'll be back.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

What xlr8or said! We are dieing out here!

Lucky, lucky man!
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 12-16-2009, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I`m trying .... if my camera will take some decent pictures of 1965 prints , maybe I can speed things up , otherwise , I have to wait my turn at the one shop in town that can scan them to my memory stick .
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Go to Walmart, buy a new printer/scanner, $50 bucks. Yu need a new printer/scanner anyway...
Old 12-19-2009, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to PDHse
Not Ranked     

What a lucky guy receiving all those goodies. The Bill Carroll book is excellent, it features interviews with Ken Miles no less.
Paul