14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham Motorsports, with a prototype wet sleeve billet aluminum engine block that I made
Not Ranked     
Default Carroll Shelby

I got a text from David Kirkham, who got a call from Mike McCluskey, who said that Carroll had just passed away.
Our prayers are with him and his family members. What a great legacy he has left for all of us. Truly an American icon.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I haven't seen the offical word, but I just got a text from my brother saying the same thing. A legend and a fighter. What a ride!

Update:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...ampaign=social

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 05-11-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

My wife and I had a nice conversation with Shelby's wife Cleo and daughter Simone at the Pomona event banquet. We had passed on our best wishes at the time , but we are saddened to hear of his passing. Thankfully, his memory and achievements will live on.

Thank you Mr. Shelby, and drive on forever in peace.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Update from the Carroll Shelby Foundation:

Carroll Hall Shelby
January 23, 1923 - May 10, 2012

The race is run, the flag unfurled, the champion now will rest.
God speed, Carroll Shelby, we will never forget you.

LEGENDARY ENTREPRENEUR CARROLL SHELBY PASSES AWAY

LOS ANGELES - May 11, 2012 - Carroll Shelby International, Inc., (OTC: CSBI.PK) announced today that Carroll Hall Shelby, a man whose vision for performance transformed the automobile industry, has died at age 89. Mr. Shelby passed away yesterday at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. The cause of death was not disclosed.

Born on Jan. 11, 1923, Carroll Shelby was one of America's greatest success stories. Championship-winning racecar driver, "flying sergeant" wartime pilot, philanthropist, entrepreneur, car manufacturer and racing team owner, he embodied the ingenuity, tenacity and grit to overcome any obstacle. He is perhaps the only person to have worked at a visible level with all three major American automobile manufacturers.

Carroll Shelby founded Carroll Shelby International, a publicly held corporation involved in many industries. His licensing arm has agreements with industry giants, such as Mattel, Sony, Ford Motor Company and Electronic Arts. His car company, Shelby American, has a thriving parts business as well as a line of muscle cars including the Shelby GT500 Super Snake, Shelby GT350 and Shelby GTS. The Las Vegas-based company also manufactures a limited number of the 1960s Shelby 289 "street," 289 FIA, 427 S/C and Daytona Coupe Cobras.

Shelby considered his greatest achievement to be the establishment of the Carroll Shelby Foundation™. Created in 1992 while Shelby was waiting for a heart transplant, the charity is dedicated to providing medical assistance for those in need, including children, educational opportunities for young people through automotive and other training programs and benefitting the Carroll Shelby Automotive Foundation.

Shelby remained active in the management of each of his companies and the Foundation until his death, even though he endured both heart and kidney transplants in the last two decades of his life.

"We are all deeply saddened, and feel a tremendous sense of loss for Carroll's family, ourselves and the entire automotive industry," said Joe Conway, president of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. and board member. "There has been no one like Carroll Shelby and never will be. However, we promised Carroll we would carry on, and he put the team, the products and the vision in place to do just that."

Shelby is survived by his three children Patrick, Michael and Sharon, his sister Anne Shelby Ellison of Fort Worth and his wife Cleo. Funeral plans are not currently available. Information about the Carroll Shelby Foundation is available at The Carroll Shelby Foundation.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

R i p mr shelby..............
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Interview with Carroll Shelby on Wind Tunnel. What a life full of great stories.

Wind Tunnel: Carroll Shelby - Watch on SPEED

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

The world has lost an icon and an incredible mind.
R.I.P. Carroll Shelby
Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

When all is said and done, he led an awesome life.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

What a ride... Rest well our grouchy friend.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Thoughts and prayers out to the Shelby family and all loved ones.
Thank you Carroll, for all you've done for racing and your charity's.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Once Owned CSX4803, CSX803 block, Keith Craft 468, Suspension by Tom Barnard, Built by Kris Kincaid
Not Ranked     

Truly a sad day in automotive history! I loved his cars so much that I named my daughter Shelby! My little girl loves to point out "her" name on the freeways as the Mustangs go prancing by. Thanks for the fantastic memories Carrol!!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
Truly a sad day in automotive history! I loved his cars so much that I named my daughter Shelby! My little girl loves to point out "her" name on the freeways as the Mustangs go prancing by. Thanks for the fantastic memories Carrol!!
My daughter is also named Shelby and my wife tells everyone it's for other reasons, but I know the truth! When she was born I told one of my close friends that her middle name was even Carroll, he still thinks it is to this day.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Once Owned CSX4803, CSX803 block, Keith Craft 468, Suspension by Tom Barnard, Built by Kris Kincaid
Not Ranked     
Default Reply: Racer_X

Racer_X

Wow, we are on the same wavelength! My wife tells people that Shelby is an old Southern girls name and a character in Steel Magnolias. First, we are not from South and second I think that character dies at the end of the movie!!

Anyhow, my wife really knows where the name came from and my daughter is proud to be named after the most awesome cars on the planet! Thanks Carroll!