Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO3058, Roush 427SR-TW
Not Ranked     
Default He claims he bought one new

A guy I work with claims he purchased an original 427 cobra at a Ford dealer in the Buffalo, NY area in 1969. I asked him if he remembers the name of the Ford dealer and he does not.

The story goes he was planning to order a new 1970 429 Torino but the Cobra 427 that was in the show room caught his eye. The car was solid white, non strip car, and only came with a tonneau cover. It had side pipes and hood scoop. He does remember it had a 427 not 428. He said the dealer marketed it that way. The car had just under 1k miles at the time. He said it had a large gas tank and cost $15.00 to fill so I presume it had a 42 gallon tank.

He said he only owned it for 3 months and in those months he had many problems and issues with it. He ended up trading it back in on a Torino that the dealer had in stock. He says after he traded it in the car met it's demise on a test drive driven by a salesmen. The car was a total loss and scrapped somewhere in Talawana, NY.

Was there many white CSX 3000 series cars? Would be interesting to see if there is a record of a white car delivered to the Buffalo area in the registry. Could somebody take a look?

Not sure if this story holds water but I thought I would share it.

Mike
Old 01-21-2016, 11:13 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Frontier Ford was the dealer for Western New York and they were in Niagara falls, not Buffalo.

I do not recall any white 427s coming out of them but the SAAC registry will show what dealer delivered what chassis.

There were no fatal "demo" accidents in this area. The only local fatal Cobra accident was CSX3326, the wreck I bought years later. I also assume "Talawana" is really "Tonawanda" a local town.

Now there was a low mile used Cobra 427 sold in Syracuse that had belonged to "Sam" from Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs that I believe was white.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-21-2016, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO3058, Roush 427SR-TW
Not Ranked     

I will ask him again if he bought it in Syracuse or Buffalo. Funny thing is this guy is not really a car guy so the details are vague. I will also mention Sam, maybe that will ring a bell for him.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

I'm calling his story BS. While Frontier Ford did have an S/C for a time (which left the factory in primer), paperwork shows the car was intended for delivery in Canada. Frontier Ford is right by the border, so they had it sent to them for ultimate delivery to Ford of Canada. And the car wasn't wrecked. If any 427 Cobra with side pipes and a hood scoop from the factory had been totaled by a sales person, that would be known today.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

When I got out of the Army in February 1967 there was a Ford dealer on Transit Road in Buffalo that had a white 427 Cobra parked out front with a $7495 sign in the window.
Frank
Old 01-21-2016, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
I'm calling his story BS. While Frontier Ford did have an S/C for a time (which left the factory in primer), paperwork shows the car was intended for delivery in Canada. Frontier Ford is right by the border, so they had it sent to them for ultimate delivery to Ford of Canada. And the car wasn't wrecked. If any 427 Cobra with side pipes and a hood scoop from the factory had been totaled by a sales person, that would be known today.
Ned maybe it was the car I bought the rear clip from in 1977ish from Carter Gette.. CSX3294 ??

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 01-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Messina View Post
When I got out of the Army in February 1967 there was a Ford dealer on Transit Road in Buffalo that had a white 427 Cobra parked out front with a $7495 sign in the window.
Frank
Transit Road dealer was Al Maroone Ford (now in Florida and part of Autonation) and they never had a 427.

Buffalo was a tough sell for Shelby. Ford first sent a 260/289 Cobra to Kenmore Motors on Delaware Ave in Kenmore, at that time the biggest Ford dealer around. They held it for a short tie and passed on the product. Ford then sent two 289s to Al Maroone Ford (a red car and a white car) to test the waters. The white car was given to Cookie Gilchrest the Buffalo Bills star in hopes he would purchase it. Cookie rode it hard and returned it as it really didn't fit an NFL player well and it didn't even have roll-up windows!

Eventually Frontier Ford took the franchise and Jerry Hamam worked as the "Hi Performance manager" selling the Shelby products. he eventually became the Datsun dealer in Niagara Falls and I have receipts for work they did on CSX3327.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2016, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue66 View Post
Ned maybe it was the car I bought the rear clip from in 1977ish from Carter Gette.. CSX3294 ??
Nope. The supposed buyer said the car had a hood scoop and side pipes. Shelby didn't sell street cars configured that way, and no dealers ordered them so equipped, so if it had these options, it would have had to have been a comp or S/C 427. And none of those are missing; none were crashed in upstate western NY by a salesperson. 3294 came out of Massachusetts and was a blue street car.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Transit Road dealer was Al Maroone Ford (now in Florida and part of Autonation) and they never had a 427.

Buffalo was a tough sell for Shelby. Ford first sent a 260/289 Cobra to Kenmore Motors on Delaware Ave in Kenmore, at that time the biggest Ford dealer around. They held it for a short tie and passed on the product. Ford then sent two 289s to Al Maroone Ford (a red car and a white car) to test the waters. The white car was given to Cookie Gilchrest the Buffalo Bills star in hopes he would purchase it. Cookie rode it hard and returned it as it really didn't fit an NFL player well and it didn't even have roll-up windows!
Shelby American records show that Al Maroone was shipped the two cars you mention, but neither was white. They got a red one and a Princess Blue one. They had a third on order, also red, but cancelled the order before it arrived.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Trying to give the benefit of the doubt - since the car was allegedly bought in '69 with a thousand miles on it, could it be possible that it was a pre-owned street car trade-in with original owner added pipes and scoop? That may explain some of the discrepancies. Then again, the claim that it only came with a tonneau (as opposed to a top and curtains) would seem to imply that it was an SC. Did any 427 roadsters come with the big gas tank?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-22-2016, 04:18 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ned,

I am senile but my neurons really remember one being white. I will ask one of the guys who worked there at the time and see if he concurs or confirms the princess blue unit. As I recall they never did sell one and the cars were passed on to another dealer.

Last edited by Mark IV; 01-22-2016 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: added
Old 01-22-2016, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Frontier Ford was the dealer for Western New York and they were in Niagara falls, not Buffalo.

I do not recall any white 427s coming out of them but the SAAC registry will show what dealer delivered what chassis.

There were no fatal "demo" accidents in this area. The only local fatal Cobra accident was CSX3326, the wreck I bought years later. I also assume "Talawana" is really "Tonawanda" a local town.

Now there was a low mile used Cobra 427 sold in Syracuse that had belonged to "Sam" from Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs that I believe was white.
Any chance we have a dealer name in Syracuse? Curious since that's home.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
Any chance we have a dealer name in Syracuse? Curious since that's home.
Reynolds Ford was the Syracuse dealer. No longer exists but then neither does my dealership!

Perhaps Ned can look up Sam's 427 info as my registry is loaned out.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Trying to give the benefit of the doubt - since the car was allegedly bought in '69 with a thousand miles on it, could it be possible that it was a pre-owned street car trade-in with original owner added pipes and scoop? That may explain some of the discrepancies. Then again, the claim that it only came with a tonneau (as opposed to a top and curtains) would seem to imply that it was an SC. Did any 427 roadsters come with the big gas tank?
Buzz, yes, anything is possible. It seems odd that someone would add side pipes and a hood scoop, enjoy the car for just 1,000 miles, and trade it, but many Cobras were traded in early with few miles on them. My thinking is that we would have heard of a dealer sales rep fatality and the white car, whichever one it might have been, would be missing from the data base or would be known as a rebuild from a total wreck.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ned,

I am senile but my neurons really remember one being white. I will ask one of the guys who worked there at the time and see if he concurs or confirms the princess blue unit. As I recall they never did sell one and the cars were passed on to another dealer.
Correct. Both cars were returned to Shelby American.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

3277 was a white 428 car that was originally sold through Nagle Ford of Rochester, NY in late '66 to a buyer who lived in Bath. But that car is shown to have been in Oklahoma by the time a warranty repair was performed in Oklahoma City early in '67. Had it been on a road trip, the car's mileage would have exceeded 1,000 miles by '69.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:19 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

The "Ned's Never-Ending Cobra Encyclopedia and Brain Trust" continues...
Old 01-22-2016, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

As I read the 1st post:

The 427 Cobra was a used car with 1000 miles, purchased in 1969. It could have been any dealer, not just dealers that Shelby shipped to.

The car met its demise... not the driver. No mention of a fatality.

He said it was a 427 not a 428 because the dealer marketed it that way, and the guy is not very car savvy. I would not rule out the possibility that it had a 428 in it. Salesmen still lie to this day.

Hope clearing those statements up helps.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

The OP never said the accident involved a fatality. He said the car, not the driver, met its demise.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
The OP never said the accident involved a fatality. He said the car, not the driver, met its demise.
But totaled 427s are pretty much all tracked in the registry so what car is it?

I call shenanigans!