14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2002, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     
Default Fon de Portago and the Kiss of Death

I sent this little tale in e-mail form to Cal and Big Bob a long time back, but thought I would share it with the rest of the forum since it seemed appropriate for our new history section. It is more "legend" than anything, although the events are documented, but I have always found it a fascinating saga of the romance and danger of racing, especially back in the Fifties (not to mention an example of the mysterious power women hold over us!).

It goes like this:

Count Alfonso de Portago, "Fon" to his friends, was a wealthy playboy and Ferrari team driver in the Fifties. Handsome and daring (some would say overly so), he counted among his many girlfriends an American "B" movie actress named Linda Christian. Not unlike many of his colleagues from that era, Fon had a reputation for almost seeking out death; he reputedly spoke frequently about how he would never live to see old age.

Fon drove one of the legendary 335S Ferraris in the last Mille Miglia, held in 1957. The 335S was an absolute brute to wield around the 1,000 mile racecourse, but de Portago loved it for it's race-winning potential. Driving like a man possessed, Portago was well up in the standings as he and his codriver came through one of the last checkpoints, in Bologna.

To the delight of the crowd, Linda Christian appeared and rushed up to the momentarily stationary Ferrari, where she leaned into the cockpit and gave Portago a kiss that doubtlessly left the male contingent of spectators drooling and the females jealous. Portago tore away from the checkpoint.

Earlier in the race, he had noticed strange noises eminating from the rear of the car; there is a photo of him arriving at a previous checkpoint and pointing behind him for the mechanics to inspect the rear suspension. As always, however, whatever concerns this gave him were buried, and he flew away from Bologna in search of the overall victory.

A few miles down the road, a piece of the rear end broke, sending his 335S careening into the crowd at high speed. Portago, his codriver, and something like a dozen spectators were killed.

His accident caused an uproar that killed the Mille Miglia, as well.

Christian's unexpected action during the pit stop in Bologna has become known as "the Kiss of Death". I had heard about it for years but was not aware that anyone had captured part of it on film, until a friend sent me this photo. It is blurry and was taken just after the "kiss", but Christian can clearly be seen standing on the far side of the Ferrari. It is very likely the last picture taken of him before his death.

A small but interesting moment in motor racing history...

Bob

Last edited by snakeeyes; 04-08-2002 at 02:59 PM..
Old 04-08-2002, 03:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Play "jeopardy"...the answer is

Alfonso Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton, 17th Marquis de Portago came from an aristocratic and wealthy background. "Fon" de Portago was born in London but grew up in France, in the chic seaside resort of Biarritz, while his father fought with General Franco in the Spanish Civil War. His mother came from Ireland and was the widow of a wealthy financier.

De Portago grew up surrounded by money. He was a great sportsman in his youth, fencing, playing polo, riding and even flying. When he was still in his teens he won a $500 bet by flying an airplane under a bridge. Later he became a member of the Spanish Olympic bobsleigh team and a very successful jockey in French steeplechasing. He took part in Britain's most famous horse race - the Grand National - on two occasions.

In 1953 he attended the New York Motor Show and met the American Ferrari importer Luigi Chinetti, a former winner of the Le Mans 24 Hours. Chinetti asked him if he would like to be his co-driver on the Carerra Panamericana through Mexico and de Portago agreed. He later bought a Ferrari sportscar and made his racing debut in the Buenos Aires 1000 in 1954, partnered by Harry Schell. They finished second. He then bought a Maserati sportscar and raced with some success in Europe.

For the 1955 season Enzo Ferrari sold him a Formula 1 car but De Portago destroyed this in the International Trophy race at Silverstone, breaking a leg badly in the accident. Success in sportscar racing at the end of the year resulted in Ferrari hiring him as the fifth Ferrari factory driver in 1956 alongside Fangio, Collins, Musso and Castellotti. His best finish was a shared second at the British GP when he handed his car over to Collins. He finished fifth in Argentina in January 1957 but a week before the Monaco GP his car suffered a tire failure in the village of Guidizzolo in the closing stages of the Mille Miglia.

De Portago, his co-driver Edmund Nelson and 10 spectators - five of them children - were killed. Twenty more people were injured. Enzo Ferrari spent four years fighting manslaughter charges as a result of the crash, which also ended the history of the Mille Miglia.

from http://www.grandprix.com encyclopedia
Old 04-08-2002, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     
Default Alright, dammit...

Ron, thanks for your additions to the story. I was not playing trivia footsie, but rather posted the picture first to make sure it would be accepted by the CC server, then went back and added the text. Then, after hitting the "edit" button, I discover the picture is no longer part of the post!

Anyhow, here is the picture that goes with my little tale:

<<Edit>>...okay, now the damned thing won't post my picture! --Sigh-- Big Bob, who is obviously quite a bit smarter than I will ever be, has posted the picture below--scroll down--

Bob

Last edited by snakeeyes; 04-09-2002 at 10:21 AM..
Old 04-08-2002, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up THANK YOU

COOL STORIES, GUYS.

THANKS MUCH FOR POSTING THEM

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK
Old 04-08-2002, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 2002 Corvette Z06, 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Not Ranked     

Here it is:....
Old 04-08-2002, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Robert!
Old 04-09-2002, 08:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

After that dissertation by Computerworks, we may have to make him the resident archivist/curator of the History Forum. Very interesting piece.

Thanks to both Big Bob and GT-40 Bob for story and pics. Unlike the "Kiss of Death", my wife gives me the "Look of Death" everytime I entertain the idea of, perhaps, buying another Sports Car. Not an endearing look........
Old 04-09-2002, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Vellly Inntterresting (story) ....!!!

Except that the pic is not coming up on my screen. New XP computer, and some of these pics don't show. Am I the only one?
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 04-09-2002, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 2002 Corvette Z06, 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Not Ranked     

Slightly smaller Bob,
Did you delete the photo from your gallery?...You can't do that because it will no longer show up in your posts.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Oooops! My bad.

Sorry, I was trying to ensure I had enough space to put up those Mirage pictures. It's back now--

Bob