14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2002, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     
Default Another GT40 Trivia Question

There was a feature of one of the GT40 MkII entries in the 1967 Daytona 24 Hours that was, as far as I know, unique to that car and that race. What was it?
Old 04-12-2002, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Round wheels. The others used square ones for competition. Other racing teams said it was an "unfair advantage."

-steve in nj-
Old 04-12-2002, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 2002 Corvette Z06, 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Not Ranked     

SS Bob:
I know the answer you're looking for, but if you don't mind, I'd like to add that there were TWO things very unique about two different GT40's in that race. What is the other?
Old 04-14-2002, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Oh, sure, Large One, add something to my own trivia question that I don't know!

I'll take a stab at it: One of the cars was powered by a rotary engine?

Seriously, no one is going to take a stab at this? Here's a hint: The mercurial progress of the car in question was not due to any substantive (i.e., mechanical) modifications, but rather to a "cosmetic" one...
Old 04-14-2002, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3639, 5.0 EFI
Not Ranked     

I'll guess: the "bubble" on top for Dan Gurney's helmet???
Old 04-14-2002, 04:39 PM
The longest build.....
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mid-States, 428 Police Interceptor, TKO 5 speed, Jaguar rearend, Trigos, and Guardsman Blue!!!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Teacher, pick me, teacher !!!

First, Car #4 driven by Donohue/Revson had "Mercury" on the bottom door panel instead of Ford.

Second, Car #1 driven by McLaren/Bianchi finished seventh overall out of six Ford entires, BUT it finished by changing out gearboxes. They used the gearbox from the "J-car" that they had in the truck for a spare.

Cheers,
Bill Cook

www.bluecarministries.com
Old 04-15-2002, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 2002 Corvette Z06, 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Not Ranked     

Bill,
You've got 50% right so far...but still looking for the other half of the question, and I won't say what part of your answer is right.

Yes, they had unending problems at that race with gearboxes, almost to the point where they could set their watches by the time that they failed based upon service life. Every one of the cars had a gearbox change during that weekend of racing, but I'm looking for something that was different with just one of the MKIV entries other than the one that you just stated. Hint: It also has to do with something cosmetic, but it also involved a change from the norm with the Ford teams.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill, you are correct as far as the original question. The Gurney/Foyt MkII entry said "Mercury" in script within the rocker panel stripes, as opposed to the normal "Ford" (and I may have misstated the facts in my original question, as it sounds from your answer as if at least one of the other entries was also badged as a Mercury). Perhaps the earliest known example of "badge engineering" in the industry?

As far as the other half of the question, I'll leave that one to Big Bob. All I can say is, it was not a good year for that GT40...

Bob

Last edited by snakeeyes; 04-15-2002 at 09:52 AM..
Old 04-15-2002, 07:07 PM
The longest build.....
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mid-States, 428 Police Interceptor, TKO 5 speed, Jaguar rearend, Trigos, and Guardsman Blue!!!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Hey Bob !!!

After further research.....

From what I can tell in the pictures that I have, car #1 and #3 had a VERY ugly "lip or flare" add to the rear wheel well/fender.

Cheers,
Bill Cook

Old 04-15-2002, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The uniqueness of this car was found only on the #5 car driven by Ginther/Andretti at Daytona in '67. A hint lies within Snakeeyes Bob's post above.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:28 AM
The longest build.....
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Bob, No way...

Did this 40 have TWO steering wheels ???????

I have pictures (no they aren't backwords) that show a driver racing the car from the left seat, and then the right seat.

If the corrcet answer, what a question !!

This research should get me my BA/BS in 40 trviva, I can't wait to see the course outline for my MBA on 40's.

Cheers,
Bill Cook

Old 04-17-2002, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,
I've never seen a picture of a '40 with two steering wheels before...where is that shot?

That's still not the answer I'm looking for, but you're giving it one heck of a try!

Hint: Shelby was a dealer for this type of product, and Parnelli Jones owned many stores which installed the very brand which I am looking for. This product was not standard issue for the Shelby teams and used just once at Daytona in 1967 on just one car
Old 04-17-2002, 06:01 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Firestone Tires
Old 04-17-2002, 06:50 PM
The longest build.....
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default yep....

Red #5 had Firestones, while Yellow #1 and Gold #4 had Goodyears. At least that is what they have for sponsorship decals!!!!

Cheers,
Bill Cook

Old 04-17-2002, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Correctomundo!

Actually, they only used Firestones for one race because Andretti had a blow-out and rolled this car. Somebody forgot to mention the Firestone tire recall to them!

Last edited by Robert Evans; 04-17-2002 at 07:15 PM..