28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2002, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Super Le'gerra at Lime Rock

Anybody remember who won the run what you brung at LRP way back when?
Old 05-31-2002, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Mr. B, are you talking about the Formula Libre race that was won by an Offy-powered midget racer back around 1960 or '61? Methinks Roger Ward was behind the helm of that little beast--

Bob
Old 05-31-2002, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rite-O Bob, figured that superlite clue would give it away.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     
Default Oooops...

Sorry, Mr. B, I thought you were looking for information. I wouldn't have answered so quickly if I realized it was a trivia question...

Here's another question based on the same race: What polka-dotted-helmet-wearing, Porsche-Spyder-driving racer was beaten by Ward that day?

Bob

BTW, I love those "Superleggera" script badges that appeared on some 50's and 60's Aston Martins and other sports cars...I found a company selling them (thanks, internet) and put a couple on Mister Lister. They are not "historically correct" for the car, but the term translates to "Ultralightweight", and I figured for the $$$ I spent on that aluminum block I had earned the right to slap them on there...

Last edited by snakeeyes; 05-31-2002 at 12:33 PM..
Old 05-31-2002, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not really a trivia question, just try'in to get something going in here.Plus I couldn't remember if it was a sprint car or midget. Polka doted helmet? man that's a killer, my wild guess, Oscar K

Last edited by mr bruce; 05-31-2002 at 12:38 PM..
Old 05-31-2002, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, not the good Mr. Kovaleski, although I can see him wearing one. Another clue: The polka dots were pink...
Old 05-31-2002, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The racing lady, Denise McCluggage, currently read at Autoweek.

Don
Old 05-31-2002, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A note on the Formula Libre Race. There were many of the best race cars of their time involved including formula one Masers and lots of sports racing euro cars. The midget ran with an in/out box...one direct drive gear. A distinct disadvantage. And the sentiment between the US oval guys and the Euro sports car guys was less than cordial, to say the least. Remember, this was back in the day of upper crust sports car snobs. Just goes to show how talented Ward was as an all around world class driver.

Don
Old 05-31-2002, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good job, Don. As you stated, McCluggage was one of many in "superior" sports cars that struggled vainly to keep up with Ward that day.

Don, I recall that midget (the car, not Ward; I have no idea how big or small he was ) having a lever mounted outside the cockpit, that was either the brake or the "gear" lever. Am I remembering correctly? I can imagine the sneers on the faces of the other drivers as this guy hung one arm out of the car the whole time, until he started kicking their butts...

Bob
Old 06-01-2002, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think it's the brake lever too. What a slap that must have been. Not even a full Indy roadster, just a Midget oval car, and going clockwise too (the oposite of its normal setup).

D