21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2002, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up What's the best drive you've ever had in a Cobra?

It's past the middle of the night here in Atlanta, but I just finished reading about driving Cobras in this month's Motor Trend. I gotta know..."What was your best time?"...driving a Cobra.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I guess it doesn't count as a "drive". But for me the best time I ever had in mine was at the race track, NOT racing though!

I put on some "skinny" tires on the back and was sliding the car around the corners, really letting it hang out in the rear. Smoking the tires and grabbing second gear hard. Just crazy man. I went through two sets of used tires that day. Spun out several times. Wild and crazy? Yeah,,,,,and one helluva of a blast!

Ernie
Old 09-06-2002, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Self Built, 427 USRRC, 427FE, Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default nightime ride

In 1966 left Tyler Whitehouse Dragstrip at 2 AM in October after watching the FX Dodge Tean challenge a few Texas FXer's and passed a DPS car on the side of a FM Texas backroads with his chromie can hanging out the window of his 428PI Galaxie and it took two turnarounds and meeting him twice at speed before we lost him. Oh boy, unknown damp asphalt two lane roads in a very cool Texas morning with those little DynaTone Walker mufflers on that 289 just screaming along thru the curves and gears. Crazy but young, old and still crazy I guess.
grumpy
Old 09-06-2002, 03:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     
Default Best ride or best driving?

Last weekend, two days at Sears Point (now Infineon) raceway for the NorCal Mini Nats XIX. Of course, I say that each time I go about the last place I've been! Truth is that Sears Point is special because it is a very technical course and it teaches you something new each time you run it.

Cheers, Pete
Old 09-08-2002, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Last night. Every drive just gets better! Details are classified as I do not wish to start a flame war on this forum!
Old 09-08-2002, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For all you in the Mountains of NC, Tenn, and GA, try the small two lane road going into and out of Highlands, NC. My large Tahoe was lock to lock and screaming for mercy....
chris
Old 09-16-2002, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

I will go on the best ride, probably for the last time with this car this weekend, before I pull the motor out of it for its rightful owner and before me and the #593 part company.

Each and every ride has been the best, the next one is always been better.
It will probably be the most memorable and the saddest ride, yet it will be the best I am sure.

Twenty plus years of planning, saving and acquiring parts and spending money to have it all come together. Now it is time to dismantle it for greener pastures, and better memories.

I am feeling like an organ donor. Once it was all mine and selfishly enjoyed just by me. Now ERA 593 is now going to be alive and well two different places in two different homes.

What a feeling!

I am happy for U2 Driver who is more than willing to take good care of the heart of it all. I know he will exercise it regularly, and will feed it nothing but the best oils in the world.
All we have to do now is get the adoption papers all drawn up.

The car itself will go to destinations unknown, hopefully will end up in the hands of a loving and caring family. I will tell them all about it's habits and what she likes what she doesn't. It will have all of her papers with her and her heritage of ERA will let everyone know she comes from a long line of royalty.

I will miss you 593. You made it all possible.
Will you miss me too?

TURK
Old 09-16-2002, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Turk

Miss you? He!! no!!!! You're a fvcking a$$hole. Build me up and now you're kicking my a$$ for a tin can? Eat sh!t you little pr!ck!!!!

/s/ ERA No. 593
Old 09-16-2002, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Who you calling "little"?

TURK
Old 09-16-2002, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Actually--like Turk, my baby will be sold off soon as well.

Best ride--when I drove her home from the coast--3 hour drive with the wife following in her 96 Impala and trying to stay up.

But there's been others--VICE--hauling butt to Vegas with Turk, Pat, U2, Paul (RallySnake) down the 15, and then back again through Death Valley. The latest U2 Bash up through the river canyons is right there on the list. The several trips to Willow Springs, running and back again--same for Buttonwillow. Autocross trips. Driving in the wet fog with the top up. Many others...
Old 09-16-2002, 11:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

I had a lot of great drives in that car. None were terribly long. I think the best though, were going to cruise-ins with my Son riding shotgun. I'd get out the Mcguire's and he'd get out the tire lettering crayons and an hour later we'd be on our way. Nothing high speed....just cruisin'. Seeing and being seen.....hangin out at whatever drive in was the place to be that night. They were put on by local car clubs. Went to the cruise at the Sonic in Evansville, IN and got interviewed on My Classic Car. That was a day to remember. Had just gotten a nice trophy presented to us by Dennis Gage at the All Ford Show in Henderson, KN, then drove the 30 odd miles to the Sonic to finish out the night. Only drove maybe a hundred miles that day, but the memories will last a life time. They'll have to now.

Yes, anyone looking close will see that I'm from Portland, OR. I was in Indiana for a year with my Son. I gotta say hotrodding, racing and specialty cars are a lot more evident there than out here on the coast. Even the cops there are pretty mellow about cruisers. Not here....they ticket you for it.

Here's a toast to warm summer nights in a car dreams are made of, making new dreams and memories.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Compomotive. 351w, close ratio four speed, live axle, 4wdb.
Not Ranked     

I had a great drive with my son from Redding to Sacramento in July. As we let'er rip at 100 coming south on I-5, every car we came up on moved to the right lane and let us go by...usually with a wave, thumbs up or a top down!!
It was by far the most exhilerating drive I have been blessed with in my 34 years of driving. I'll never forget it!!
Old 11-22-2002, 09:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default My best drives....

The drive home from Escalon to Davis the day I bought ERA 004, the California Speedway at Fontana, gasholes cruising around Lake Beryessa in the spring and Sears Point!

Cheers, Pete
Old 11-23-2002, 12:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

The day We drove the car home the 405 into Seattle , cruising around downtown , the Seattle/Bainbridge ferry terminal, the ferry ride with countless people gathered around the car, giving it a lttle too much gas and spinning the tires as we exited the ferry(low tide, steep ramp)and the thumbs up from the ferry crew and bystanders. And My neighbor Frank's scowl when we pulled into the driveway.
And the day I talked Frank (90 yrs old)into taking a ride and seeing his somewhat permenant scowl turn into a ****eatin' grin.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Rick Long's Contemporary

Up and down coastal and mountain roads in central Maine in Rick's bright yellow "weapon"---if you're a New England cobra-driver, try Mount Battie (no kidding--that's its name) just north of Camden, Maine---Camden is worth the trip just in itself. Mt. Battie is the closest that mountains getr to salt water on the eastern seaboard---the Mt. Battie Cobrablast should be done in the "off-season" (wh/, nonetheless is rapidly disappearing under the hordes of year-'round tourists!). Probably wouldn't hurt to apprise the park warden of your intentions (you know, "test the jetting"). They like it if you register your "flight plan"---worked for us! Didn't hurt that Rick's a sh#t-hot race-driver!
Old 11-23-2002, 07:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred,

Quote:
Mt. Battie is the closest that mountains getr to salt water on the eastern seaboard
What about Cadillac Mountain on Mt Desert Island? I've always wished I had my Cobra when I drive over the park roads in Acadia National Park. I'll be there again this summer and unfortunately, I will be there again without the Cobra. Damn!

Cheers, Pete
Old 01-14-2003, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Well, my best drive in a Cobra and I do mean Cobra, yes a real one.. came when Jim Maxwell let me and my wife drive his real one from Greensboro to Charlotte Nc and back , bout 200 mi.. here we go down I 85 with Jim driving his 289 and me following in his FOUR TWO SEVEN!!do I need to say more!!!!

Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG

Last edited by RACERAL; 01-14-2003 at 07:49 PM..
Old 01-15-2003, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters '66 427 Replica-SOLD
Not Ranked     

Hey Al.....

What's it sound like without side pipes???

Looks GREAT and I know it was a BLAST!!!!

Jack
Old 01-15-2003, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

It sounded like a bigblock mustang.. I will tell you the truth.. The white car drove so good, I could not believe it. It was smooth, the seats were so comfortable the wife and I just went gaga.. don't know what kind of foam are in them, but this spring, the search will be on.. I could have drove the thing all day long.. when I drive my ffr with the sidepipes and I get home.. I can hear a roaring in my ears for 3 hours.. I won't soon forget that trip...
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 01-20-2003, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up SpeedFreak, PeteC, Jamo

Speedf,
I now (1/20/03) have an amendment---it's no longer rammin' around in Rick Long's superb Contemporary---it's driving from LA to Fresno in Jerry Goddard's Bimmer 7 (ah-h-h-h-h, helluva car, helluva a guy!) to Fresno, to deprive (legally) Jamo of his first (I think) Cobra---to make room in his garage for the Coors Can Special.....NOW IN THE COBRA!!!!! First time driving one! from Fresno to Paso Robles on 41 (JAmes Dean memorial at Cholame(?)---out to Rte. 101, down to SLO (Jerry stays on business) and then ALONE---just yodling with glee to Carpenteria---up the hill on Rte. 150 to Ron Butler's shop in Ventura. Left the car there, took Ron's loner van each night to Carpenteria, then back up the hill each day (1/15-1/19) to nuke through the hills above the coast and east to Ojai. Didn't have the time to go through to Ventecapa via Rte 33. Next time. Every minute I drove, my face felt like I was holding it over a pot of vinegar---the smile muscles were so stretched. Cobra................Behold ye Mortals, the God of Cars!!!

PeteC,
You may be right---though I believe you will see that Cadillac is farther from Bah Hahbah than Battie is from Camden...you WILL, of course do me the honor of a visit----please check my Gallery site (or better) the Christmas cards I sent Jamo. Five Islands Maine is one of the prettiest towns on the coast (it was in the Acura "chowdah" ad). I am having an on-again-off-again* 100th anniversary Jamboree. 8-10 beds indoors, unlimited tenting space in deep woods HARD BY the ocean coast. You are most welcome! I will cook lobsta galore (no roasts, unless requested). Gimme a shout. I'll site Jamo as a "character" reference...

*I'm planning on attending DVSF III (?) and Blubyu2's Lake George gathering