Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2003, 08:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default Trivia Question: "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday"

The above quote was originally coined by who? Hint: It was one of the original SAI dealers.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Holman & Moody? Were they ever dealers?
Old 04-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

No. They weren't dealers. Maybe I should be more specific. By dealers, I mean Ford dealers.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

"Sorry, John.... I'll have to disqualify myself."

(...unless no one comes up with the answer.)
Old 04-14-2003, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Was it Russ Davis Ford out of Covina, California?
Old 04-14-2003, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tasca?

-steve in nj-
Old 04-14-2003, 12:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tasca?

Regards,

Keith
Old 04-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Corrrectomundo----Bob Tasca of Tasca Ford of Providence, Rhode Island.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Some info:

The cornerstones of the philosophy that in the 1960s made Tasca Ford the model for thousands of other Ford Motor Company dealerships across the country.

It was Bob Tasca Sr. who in the 1960s coined the phrase "win on Sunday, sell on Monday."

The Tasca Ford was driven to victory at the 1965 NHRA Winternationals by Bill Lawton.
Tasca's philosophy is spelled out in his book "You Will Be Satisfied." The man responsible for Ford's muscle car program in the 1960s, a program that included the 1968 Cobra Jet Mustang.
Initially hired as a 40 cent-an-hour mechanic, Tasca wound up running with a crowd that included Henry Ford II, Lee Iacocca and Carroll Shelby. Although he earned a Ph.D. in engineering from Roger Williams University, the skills that created the first Ford dealership to be No. 1 in BOTH sales volume and customer satisfaction were developed on the street.
"Bob Tasca was not a smart man," he said, referring to himself in the third person. "Bob Tasca learned from a lot of very, very smart people at Ford, basically because I asked a lot of questions and remembered most of the answers."
From 17-year-old "grease monkey" at Sandager Ford in 1943, Tasca climbed the ladder, becoming sales manager in 1948 and General Manager in 1949. Four years later, he opened his own dealership, making complete customer satisfaction his main selling point.
Despite his sales success, Tasca became concerned in the early 1960s that FoMoCo was being upstaged by the "muscle cars" being developed by General Motors and Chrysler.
As a result, he commissioned Holman & Moody to build a 406-powered 1962 Ford Galaxie that chief mechanic John Healy immediately drove to 13.30 second quarter mile times, a performance impressive enough to cause Lawton to abandon the Chevy 409 with which he had been taunting Tasca and join the blue oval brigade.
With Lawton, Tasca was at the forefront of the development of the 427-powered 1964 Ford Fairlane that became known as the "Thunderbolt." In 1966, at Tasca's behest, Holman & Moody built the first long-nose, altered wheelbase, match race Mustang, the precursor to today's Funny Cars. It was called the "Mystery 9" Mustang because of its 9-second quarter mile times. The number subsequently was altered to reflect eight and seven second times.
Finally, in 1968, Tasca Ford built the Cobra Jet prototype that would become what Tasca called "the fastest production-built car in the world at that point. I'm not talking top speed, "I'm talking run fast, get up and go. It was a 12-second street machine in the 1960s."
Now, with his name prominently emblazoned on John Force's Mustang as well as on those of Pedregon and Densham, Tasca Ford has come full circle. Win on Sunday. Win on Monday.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Ron:

In addition to Tasca, the world of drag racing would be poorer today with out the legend of the incomparable, inimitable former dance instructor, Gaspar "Gas" Rhonda in his A/FX SOHC 427, sponsored by Russ Davis Ford.

Last edited by Cal Metal; 04-14-2003 at 01:12 PM..
Old 04-14-2003, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob Tasca is a remarkable man as he has innovated in many areas, including being the builder of some of the early CSX2000 cars. I have had the opportunity to meet with him and his sons a number of times and each time it has proved to be both a pleasure and an education. I would reccomend reading his books as they are not just interesting in the historical sense but also give good insights in how to run a successfull business.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Metal
The above quote was originally coined by who? Hint: It was one of the original SAI dealers.
Wasn't it Lee IaCocca who first used the phrase?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tasca Ford is having their 9th annual Ford show this weekend. John Force will be there with his funny car, the New England Shelby Club usually has plenty of cars from all over New England. The weather is going to be great.

The show is Saturday and starts at 10:00am

Jay
Old 09-08-2006, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2189
Not Ranked     

I think Iacocca said, "give him some money before he eats the curtains". A reference made by Lee to senior management after a fervent presentation by Carroll imploring Ford to support the Cobra program which was in its infancy at the time.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Reading about Tasca Ford sure kicked up some old memories for me.
Early 60's at the drags his cars dominated in Rhode Island where I was living at the time. Great fun to watch. Seemed to me one of his drivers would
launch in 2nd, back to 1st and on up the line - he was very fast shifting and
got off with almost no wheel spin.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I remember Bill Lawton driving Mystery 8 then Mystery 7 many nights at E-Town back in the late 60's. That Cammer was unbeatable for a long time untill the HP got to be too much for the bottom end of the FE. It was a good run while it lasted.

RD