Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428CJ, 4-Speed Ford, CCX-3057
Not Ranked     

Hi:
Wally B, you grew up in El Segundo, I grew up in Manhattan Beach, grade school in the '60's. Small world. I can remember my dad pointing out the Shelby American factory at LAX and seeing the Cobras and GT-350's lined up outside. At then time the guy across the alley drove a '65 GT-350 and traded it for a '66 with the plexi side quarter windows. Looked at Contemporary's and ERA's in the early '80's, couldn't afford either, fast forward to now, have an early CCX 427S/C currently in rehab (and very good hands) at a top secret location in NH. Cobras are still the pinnacle of bada$$, can't wait to get it over here and show the locals (really nice guys and serious petrolheads) with the latest German and Italian rocket sleds some vintage american muscle. All thanks to Carroll S. and team.
Kirk
Old 01-15-2012, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default GT500 Cobra Shelby 428 Cobra Jet Engine

My father bought an original GT500 Cobra Shelby with a 428 Cobra Jet Engine back in 1969. He is an original owner and it is registered in the shelby registry.
He passed away a few years ago and my mother has the title and is wanting to sell it.

I have been warming it up and driving it to keep it running smooth. Man this car has a punch! Wanted to race it but i didnt want a ticket!!

well, this car my dad admired, used it as a vehicle until 1974 then started to preserve it. It only has 62,600 miles total.

He kept it in a garage and many people love this Shelby and had few offers here and there.

We love what Carroll Shelby was a part of and the more i sit in it, the harder it is to sell it! However, it must be sold since we cannot just give this car to one family member and not another. Much can be argued about who would get this car.

If anyone knows a real possible buyer...let me know.

I have pictures in my gallery.

Thanks!

Kenny
407-421-5043- Orlando Florida
kbusiness@live.com

Last edited by shelby7; 01-15-2012 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: had to add text
Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MK III - Rouse 351 - bored and stroked to 427 with street/strip cam 550hp
Not Ranked     
Smile For all you enthusiasts read original articles recreated

As a Cobra lover I have recreated all of the original Cobra and GT40 articles I could find form Sports Car Graphic magazine to share on my blog at Metaphors in Motion

School for Speed:
Shelby's high performance driving school Page 1

Track Test Ford GT40:
Page 2

Road Test/21 - 62 Shelby AC Cobra Road Test and Technical Review:
Page 4

Carroll Shelby's 260 cu in. Cobra:
Page 4

Ford GT40
Page 6

Double Test: 427 Cobra's for Street and Competition:
Page 6

Original text and photos with some extras thrown in - ENJOY!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default A Legend ,A Man

Carroll Shelby , was a true legend someone even kids now days looked up to which is hard to think , that he could span time, and all that knew of him ,were in awe of his generosity , and true humantarism that he showed to all.
Heaven gained a beautiful angel , and we were all better for knowing him,his light will shine down on the car world for a long time, I was forunate enough to meet him and get to talk to the legend I was like a giddy little kid , but it did not seem to faze him , and he acted like a gentleman with poise and grace , and never seem to make you think he was any better than you.
Carroll I know when you look down from heaven , the stars will shine so much brighter just cause you are there. it is a sad day for us but I know at least you are not in pain or having any problems anymore and for that I will smile ,and remember the man the legend ,save a place for me up there ok.

Mickey
STCinc and stevebalding like this.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR from Levy Racing 302 FI w/Edelbrock Performer heads
Not Ranked     

RIP Carroll.

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes. Finally got around to going to the VA.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I learned the news today. I am truly and deeply saddened. It is a great loss of a great American and automotive icon and legend.

There were many here over the years who were critical of Carroll, sometimes understandably but he was human and had faults like all of us. Who amoung us can go 89 years without a mistake or error in judgment?

On balance his achievements and pluses far outweighed the negative. He was charitable, he loved kids, he was patriotic, a military veteran and truly epitomized the "no fear" slogan.

He came from little but achieved greatly in many ways demonstrating the American dream that hard work, grit, tenacity and brains (with a little luck) can take you to places of your dreams in our great country.

He brought us much and made America proud with his automotive achievements. He brought us the many iconic cars that we all cherish today even if we aren't fortunate enough to own one. He brought us perhaps the most recognizable car of all time, the Cobra. It was and still is the King of the Hill of muscle cars from the golden era of cars, the 1960s. He showed what American ingenuity, tenacity and determination could accomplish by fielding the first American Powered car to beat Ferrari at LeMans and win a world manufacturers title in 1965 and follow it up it 1966 with the world famous effort at LeMans with the GT40.

I for one, will miss the fact he is longer with us. My condolences to his family and those close to him.

He, however, is still with us through his cars and his legend.

He made us proud.

Thanks, Carroll.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Early Contemporary 427SC w/ '66 427s.o. (car built in '79) by Snow White Rods (Fresno, CA); XKE Series II front/rear suspension (AMP lower A-arms/half shafts), CWI rebuilt IRS, 4-spd Toploader, PS Engineering knock-off rims.
Send a message via AIM to gjcomb Send a message via Skype™ to gjcomb
Not Ranked     

I grew up in Southern California, so my teenage years besides being a good kid also included getting into a little trouble here & there (nothing major, mind you), especially street racing here & there. Saturday night around 11:30-12:30 was when you'd get together with the LA Street Racers and plan where you were going to run (or just check out the next man's machine rumbling down your way...sometimes, it was for some cash, other times for the pink slip. Sometimes, you see some crazy machines - one guy brought a dragster, although I never saw it run. A few times we ended up by the factories that occupied Avalon Blvd up to Central Avenue - nice long straightaway with the LAPD on the other end! Still, some wicked machines showed up...

But, my first encounter with a Cobra (427SC) was not with the street racers, but cruising on Van Nuys Blvd (after we'd cruise over from the Hawthorne Blvd area). I was in a '66 Nova SS that sported a super than normal modified 454 with a B&M Hydro. While this was a mean-spirited looking GM product, the Cobra that was next to us with its wide looking butt (fenders and tires) were really bad-ass looking. Of course, we did not run and the guy driving the Cobra never looked at me. But, I looked at his machine and wondered...I could not afford to get something like that, and was a GM fan for a number of years. When I was serving in the Navy, a buddy of mine decide to build a model of the GT40. I asked about the car, and he looked at me as if I was from another planet not knowing the history of the GT40.

In the mid-seventies, I inquired about Contemporary Cobras in New York and learned that they wanted to get a distributorship set up on the West Coast and here was a chance for me to get a replica at a decent price and discounted parts since I'd be a distributor for the car.

Nope - did not happen until the mid 90's when I did pick up a Contemporary Cobra with an FE setup and Jaguar suspension that I currently have today.

All this is owed to hearing about Shelby's cars and performance parts when I was a kid in high school.

My condolences to the Shelby family and my respects to the man who is now immortalized as the greatest American auto legend.

RIP GC
Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Carroll , you were & are the the PRESIDENT of the Ford Car world , you will be GREATLY missed , my greatest moment is when I convinced you to let me buy you a beer at Saac 30 !!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Carroll Shelby passes...

I never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Shelby, never got his autograph, but I did have the honor of owning one of his great sports cars (CSX-2318) for a while. Shelby lived a great life and it was just his time. The automotive world and enthusiasts have lost a true gem. My sympathy to his family. He was truly one of a kind. Long live the Shelby name, may it continue to shine forever. RIP Carroll Shelby...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

The concept was just 'way too crazy. Far too much power in a lightweight chassis made for far less ambitious driving. But CS pulled it off and pulled away from the pack. In fact, you could easily argue that he lapped the field. He was a visionary who backed it up with success after success.

I fell in love with the muscular lines of the S/C car and ached to have one. In 1992 I jumped into the then-sketchy kit car world and built one of the replicas that Shelby so detested. I didn't do it to spit in his face or to rip him off in some way. It was just that I loved those cars and couldn't afford a real one. Ol' Shel's cars could give you the itch that just had to be scratched.

The performance car world was never the same after Shelby retired from driving. I'm grateful for the lasting influence he leaves behind.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1676
Not Ranked     

RIP Mr Shelby .. You were a role model in my life! Thank you!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html
Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Carroll Shelby will never - ever - be forgotten.

Carroll was one of the most influential figures in motor sports history. His accomplishments were many and his impact on American racing was significant. The blockbuster success of Carroll's Cobra movement was so powerful that it struck fear throughout the Italian populous ... right down to the core of Old Man Ferrari. Enzo Ferrari was so afraid of Carroll Shelby that he pulled strings to have the final race of the 1964 season cancelled just so Italy wouldn't lose the World Championship to the Americans. Talk about American muscle!

My father, Dave MacDonald, had the privilege of driving for Carroll in the early 1960's and my mother says he loved Carroll dearly.

RIP sir, you will be missed.

PS, when you see my father, please tell him I love him ...

Rich
Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Lives

Mr.Shelby as I skateboarded through the streets of Orange County Ca.
The small group of us would point out the coolest cars ,and the cool cars with best tail lights. 1967 and 1968 Shelby Mustangs were the coolest,and still are.
Anyway that was the start of my Shelby / Ford bug.
Still have the bug.

Rest in Peace
Mr. Carroll Shelby
Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1476 - Keith Craft 445ci, 636hp 613tq
Send a message via Skype™ to skippy
Not Ranked     

I remember seeing my first Cobra when i was 8 years old, back in 1975 in Sydney Australia. I was sitting in the back seat whilst my father drove and the Cobra lingered behind us for some time before over taking. It was the most beautiful thing on 4 wheels that i had ever seen, the sound the shape, the pure energy with the curves to crave for. I was bitten straight away and knew one day i would have one.

Just before i was got married in August 2003 i bought my Cobra SPF 1476 from the SPF dealer in Cincinnati, Ohio "Dynamic Performance". I had never sat in a Cobra let alone driven one and bought it off the phone and had her shipped here in Luxembourg. You can only imagine the surprise when i started it for the first time.

I still have that stupid grin today.

Thanks Carroll for being so passionate and believing in your dreams, you have touched many souls.

From this Gass Guzzler, cruise in peace my friend.

Skippy.

Last edited by skippy; 05-12-2012 at 03:24 AM..
Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

RIP Mr. Shelby....one of the greats from when the U.S. was on top of their game in the auto industry...an innovator and a great marketer .....how many other folks have started such a following of people around the world
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
He touched the lives of more people than anyone can imagine. And he made American Racing know world wide with his Daytona Coupes and GT-40s. There will never be another person that will affect a given field like he did the automotive world. And don't forget that though he is known for his Cobras, he had a hand in many other cars including the Dodge Viper. I just wish he could have finished the two 1,000 horsepower Mustangs that he wanted to build. He will be missed by all.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-12-2012, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Red face Rip

The adventure continues.....as it will for all of us... Thank You for the wonderful times, BOTH good and bad... Life, what are ya going to do?...
Old 05-12-2012, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sad day indeed, but also a celebration of life

Carroll has accomplished in his life so much more that we ever could dream of.

I'm so glad that he lives his life to the fullest, not always as he may have wanted it, but always at full speed. From chicken farmer to race car driver, from car designer to safari tour operator, his life is an example for all of us!

Rest in Peace Mr Shelby, I don’t really care for your chili, but I LOVE your car and I thank you for that. Sincere condolences to his family
Old 05-12-2012, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Great biography of Shelby's racing career The Golden Age of Motor Racing - Carroll Shelby - The Golden Age of Motorsport - YouTube
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 392
Not Ranked     

True american ican. He will forever be remembered for not only his contribution to auto industry but also for how many people he touched.
RIP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: