Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Roush gets last laugh over Saleen re the Ford GT

It looks like Roush has announced a special version of the Ford GT over in the UK called 600RE (the first part for hp; second alluding to RoushEuorpe)
Roush Europe set up the Euro models. These last few will go for $300,000 each.

It's irnoic that Steve Saleen had so much to do with building the Ford GTs but instead it is Roush, who engineered and tested the GT engine, who appears at the end of the model run with his badge engineered version of it.

I spoze Saleen would of done it except for the fact he has nwo been formaly booted out of the company that bears his name and with a lot of worries didn't have time to ponder what could be done with the last few GTs.

I wonder if Roush will bid on taking over Saleen's operations, since it looked like the Parnelli Jones signature Mustang recently announced by Saleen will be a winner and Roush could easily put together a facility to build them out since he already makes Roush Mustangs.

If anyone from Deetroit knows any good stories about the behind the scenes battle between Roush and Saleen over the Ford GT--love to hear them!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default Saleen

Part of the story is that Saleen took in equity partners a few years ago during the S7 project. The basic "how we make money" part of his busness changed, ie the Ford dealers weren't selling enough Mustangs and nearly zero Saleen trucks...so the "partners" chopped the operation down to nub 120 days ago. Rumor is the company will be turned into a parts /kit type company not unlike others in the industry. The S7 is an incredible car that less than a handful of people in the industry have ever done. Saleen has moved on to a Chinese car company and will drive their product through the US regulatory process to the market place next year. The Ford GT was a great build by Saleen, a production XXXMPH production (although nearly hand built) car and is incredible. Having had the pleasure of driving one of the type, I can tell you it is incredible to drive...stupid fast...yet you have the AC going, tunes playing etc.Technologically maybe superior to it's fore father. Steve Saleen has little to apologise for...unless it's for the end of the legacy as we know it.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Roush and Saleen were both involved in the GT. Roush handled ALOT of the preproduction stuff and were the contacts over in Europe for warranty work on the cars. Saleen just got the contract to put them together. As I understand from some discussion while we were in Detroit for the First Rally...Ford wanted to make sure that both companies had a part in the deal.

Actually the Saleen facility in Detroit has now been converted over to paint the new Viper's for Dodge.

Matt
Old 06-10-2007, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Roush does the majority of developing Ford's performance vehicles, dated back to the late 90s. Most people don't realize it as it's not "common" knowledge. Saleen was obviously contracted to build the cars, with a dedicated facility and all. I'm curious who will be building this car (which this is the first I've heard of), considering GT production has already ended.

Normally it would be a surprise that Roush would "modify" an existing non-Roush performance vehicle, but they also announced not long ago they are going to be offering a 650hp version of the GT500, so I guess it's not that big of a surprise.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241