17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-03-2007, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 381, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Two Continuation Car Questions

1. Are all CSX4--- cars continuation cars?

2. What year did the continuation car program start?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CSX4000 SERIES (glass & aluminum)
CSX7000 SERIES (glass & aluminum)
CSX8000 SERIES (glass only)
........are considered continuation cars. i believe that it started with the 4000 series in 1997?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 w/CSXblock
Not Ranked     

I also believe Shelby started producing the 4000 series cars in 1997 under Shelby American, Inc. in Vegas. Shelby American, Inc. ceased doing business in July 2003.

Shelby started the HST produced cars in August 2003 under Shelby Automobiles, Inc. starting with CSX4750. A few of the first cars in this series were produced by CAV (maybe 5 or 6) before HST started. In December 2005 Shelby Automobiles struck a deal with Hi-Tech in South Africa to produce CSX cars starting with CSX4825 which was delivered in August 2006.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Yep, both replies are correct.

Nice to see people paying attention .

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 381, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Wow! Exactly the kind of info. I was looking for. Fantastic! Thank you again.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting, I wasn't aware that CAV (Cape Advanced Vehicles) produced any 4000 series cars before the doors were literally 'chained' shut.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Interesting, I wasn't aware that CAV (Cape Advanced Vehicles) produced any 4000 series cars before the doors were literally 'chained' shut.
Yes, the original 4750 project was supposed to be done by CAV. I have never been able to get a solid car count on how many were made, but I believe it was less than 10. I know someone who has one, and let's just say the build quality is less than stellar. I think a couple cars were actually "redone" at Las Vegas, and then HST got the new contract to take over from there.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

I believe my new car, CSX 4758 was originally a CAV body delivered in June 2004, but the fit and finish was not up to the standards they should have been, and the original owner requested that SAI rework the body to solve various issues. I believe Gary Patterson flew out to see it, agreed, and SAI shipped the roller back to Las Vegas I'm informed whereupon they decided to "re-body" the entire car. I can't tell you where that new body came from but it is not now a CAV body. It's too nice. Paint-wise and fit. James Baldwin also took pictures of the new body and assembly while it was being re-done in Vegas. I'd be curious to know if it now one of the HST bodies....most likely I guess.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

CAV was a BIG player in the fiberglass area, mostly boats. They built some nice GT-40's as well. I reckon the early and short production run was the main reason the Cobras were'nt up to par.

Their closing didn't have anything to do with Shelby as I understand it. Must have caught Shelby by surprise as well as many other people. Looks like it got down right nasty when CAV did close.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4872 428 street
Not Ranked     
Default 4000 series gaps

I was talling with a kid at Lime Rock this weekend whos father owns two continuation cars. He said there a big gaps in the serial numbers. I always assumed that if the numbers are up to CSX4893 then there are 893 cars. If there are say only 450 cars in this series that would be interesting to know and in keeping with Shelby American of the 1960s. Does any one know?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

When SA began the "outsourcing program" of the lower-cost 'glas cars, they had been sequentially in the 4300 numbers with the cars made in Vegas.

They began the new series of third-party cars with CSX4750 and counted up from there ever since.

Probably, now, only alum cars and/or special builds will continue with the lower numbers. We are guessing what they will do when they get to CSX4999 with the outsourced cars.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4872 428 street
Not Ranked     
Default 4000 sereis numbers

I have CSX4872. I originally assumed there were a lot more cars out there. I am interested in finding out how many 4000 sereis cars are out there. According to what you wrote, there were 300 made in LV. Then the new body builder started at 4750. Considering I have 4782, when mine was built is it fair to say that at that time there were 300 + 122 cars made, totaling 422 fiber glass 4000 sereis cars? Also, how do the aluminum body cars factor in to these numbers? Thanks for the response.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBcsx4872
I have CSX4872. I originally assumed there were a lot more cars out there. I am interested in finding out how many 4000 sereis cars are out there. According to what you wrote, there were 300 made in LV. Then the new body builder started at 4750. Considering I have 4782, when mine was built is it fair to say that at that time there were 300 + 122 cars made, totaling 422 fiber glass 4000 sereis cars? Also, how do the aluminum body cars factor in to these numbers? Thanks for the response.
The total number of pre-4750 cars would only be known by Shelby, and I've not been able to get an answer to that question myself. I don't believe it would be accurate to say that there are 300 4000 cars before the 4750 series either. I am quite certain that there is not one car for every number in that sequence; I am pretty sure there are gaps there too. And in the early 4000 sequence numbers, are included both glass and alloy cars. Plus, there are numbers OVER 4300, so really there are more than 300 sequence numbers for pre-4750 cars.

And then even within the existing sequence numbers, there are anomolies as well. Things like 4750 was re-VINed as 4855. So really, we could probably never get an accurate number.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     
Default Serial numbers

Perhaps there is good reason for these gaps in serial numbers and the somewhat confusing model types v prices. It would certainly confuse the competition.

Certainly Ferrari found it convenient in years past. He was always skipping numbers and re-numbering etc.

Of course, he was more interested in creating an alternative cash register system for tax-minimization purposes.

i shouldn't think this would be the case today.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

I've been wondering about the numbers and manufactoreres too. The new registry should clear things up.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default When Big Red says Shelby-American phased out that name in 2003

..does that mean there is no company called Shelby-American today?
Why would Shelby "throw away" a name that had so much history built into it by virtue of its achievements. Or was it a necessary thing--to "close out" the books on a company so a new company could be started without any financial liabilities from the past company?

I think it still sounds better to say "my car was built by Shelby American" in the case of his modern replicas than to say "was built by Shelby" but maybe I am wrong and the "American" is not attached anymore.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

It's my understanding that the company, Shelby American, has to be taken down in order to unravel the Series 1 /Venture mess.

It was shut down, they moved across the street and opened under a new name.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historybuff View Post
..does that mean there is no company called Shelby-American today?
Why would Shelby "throw away" a name that had so much history built into it by virtue of its achievements. Or was it a necessary thing--to "close out" the books on a company so a new company could be started without any financial liabilities from the past company?

I think it still sounds better to say "my car was built by Shelby American" in the case of his modern replicas than to say "was built by Shelby" but maybe I am wrong and the "American" is not attached anymore.
Wally,

Have you read the book "Snake Bit"?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:46 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBcsx4872 View Post
Also, how do the aluminum body cars factor in to these numbers?
We have sold SAI just over 150 aluminum bodied chassis. Of this more than 11 cars were leaf spring FIA frame and bodies. In addition to the 150 that were sold directly to SAI, there have been more than 10 of our cars that picked up CSX numbers after we sold them.

Also keep in mind that other shops supplied SAI with aluminum bodies, for example: Kimmons Coach Works, and Bill Lehy. I also understand that some dealers had their fiberglass cars rebodied to aluminum cars. I also know of at least two fiberglass CSX4000 cars where the fiberglass body was cut off and replaced with an aluminum body off our chassis.

Hope this helps
Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Arrow Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kirkham View Post
We have sold SAI just over 150 aluminum bodied chassis. I also know of at least two fiberglass CSX4000 cars where the fiberglass body was cut off and replaced with an aluminum body off our chassis.

Hope this helps
Tom, you are so mean!

jdog

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: