LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Jerry Heasley ripped on SAAC site

Went over to read the new SAAC site and was surprised to see
such a verbal attack on Jerry Heasley, a journalist.photographer and historian and dedicated Cobraisti from way back, who has done probably done hundreds of articles on Cobras and Shelbys. Turns out the SAAC folks, having their battles with Shelby, took exception to Heasley's latest articles in a Mustang magazine which they thought took Shelby's side on the latest issues.
I think one of Heasley's best articles ever was the one where he went to Shelby's ranch (one of them anyway) on some sort of Cobra club tour. And I believe he actually owns a small block Cobra which shows his dedication to the marque.
I hope he puts up a spirited defense here if they don't give him some space on the SAAC site.. go, Jer!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Did you actually read the article he wrote or are just assuming the poor man got beat up for nothing? What ever Heasely used to be or whatever car he owned or currently owns doesn't give him license to write an article without checking the facts.

A spirited defense? I hope he has to put up such a defense in court for slander!? Hey, Historybuff, check YOUR facts before reporting such drivel.

Rick Kopec's analysis of the Heasley article:
SAAC - The Loss of Integrity

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-27-2008 at 09:10 AM..
Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1427
Not Ranked     

ahhh ... all I see are 2 weasels fighting over the same egg. Both, heck all 3, have questionable integrity.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Wally,

Why wouldn't Jerry just respond at the SAAC site? Perhaps you could offer your opinion there as well.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by svobud View Post
ahhh ... all I see are 2 weasels fighting over the same egg. Both, heck all 3, have questionable integrity.

That's it on the head!

Steve
Old 05-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's hardly the 'same egg', SAAC is fighting for it's very existence against a corporation that wants to shut it down entirely. Now WHY would Shelby want total control of a registry with no checks and balances to keep the past and future history pure? Because he's such an honest and nice man of course. If you believe that, as Heasley and others seem to, I gotta a bridge for sale, cheap, and it's 'real'.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1427
Not Ranked     

The comparison was between Heasley and Kopec. They both (and Shelby) have the ability to switch an opinion from one side of their mouth to the other, I'd say that's the same egg (IMO).
Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

For the most part, people fall on one side or the other with Shel.

Love him or hate him
Old 05-27-2008, 04:39 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historybuff View Post
Went over to read the new SAAC site and was surprised to see
such a verbal attack on Jerry Heasley, a journalist.photographer and historian and dedicated Cobraisti from way back, who has done probably done hundreds of articles on Cobras and Shelbys. Turns out the SAAC folks, having their battles with Shelby, took exception to Heasley's latest articles in a Mustang magazine which they thought took Shelby's side on the latest issues.
I think one of Heasley's best articles ever was the one where he went to Shelby's ranch (one of them anyway) on some sort of Cobra club tour. And I believe he actually owns a small block Cobra which shows his dedication to the marque.
I hope he puts up a spirited defense here if they don't give him some space on the SAAC site.. go, Jer!
As with other well known "auto historians", Jerry did not do his own homework, therefore did not check his story against the facts. He was spoon fed a story, got called out by those who clearly know more than he does, and came out swinging. Sadly, he allowed his ego to get the better of him and has now departed from the SAAC forum with his tail between his legs. Of course, I'm sure as a professional journalist, he just might see the error of his ways and may just write a follow up article apologizing for his mistakes. Then again, he may not be man enough to admit it to anyone, not even himself.

Bill S.

PS: Oh, and just as a side note, Jerry has not been beaten on by just SAAC, as word has spread far and wide as to his blind faith with taking everything stated by Shelby as the gospel truth....Let it be known that if you are going to print with a story, you better check your facts before putting pen to paper (so to speak)..........

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ex; one thing to remember is that it's the SAAC corporation against the Shelby corporation, not some poor embattled club.

Bill; "I'm sure as a professional journalist, he just might see the error of his ways and may just write a follow up article apologizing for his mistakes."
I wouldn't hold my breath! LOL

I'm still with svobud.
Do I think CS is a self aggrandizing; grandstanding, B.S.ing, butt-wipe looking out for only himself? Oh yeah, but then what's changed in the last 20 years?

Do I think Kopec and Eber are upset that their little fiefdom is under attack and will do what ever to save it? Oh yeah again. Then again, what's changed over the last 20 years?

When it comes to Jerry...........he's a wild card thrown in for the amusement of the court jesters.............then again, maybe he is a court jester and should be seen as such.

It seems as if everyone involved in this debacle is operating wholly in the child persona, unable to wick up the courage for an adult conversation.

JMHO, Steve
Old 05-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

...and so it goes.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Comparing SAAC as a corporation to SAI as a corporation is a bit of a stretch. Heck I was a corporation a few years back myself, a 'for profit' one at that! All though the profit part could be debated... I'm sure many of the members here on Club Cobra are incorporated as well. I guess AS a corporation your fair game for whatever larger bigger corporation wants to do a hostile takeover or put your a$$ out of business?

Johnson and Johnson (a for profit corporation) recently sued the Red Cross (a non profit corporation) for a trademark violation. Claim was they 'owned' the 'Red Cross' trademark. Come to find out in fact, THEY DID own it!

Seem's J&J had been letting them use the mark for years without interference, they even had a contract with the Red Cross. Then Red Cross began using the mark TO MAKE MONEY by selling PRODUCTS that COMPETED with J&J products. Well that was going to far, J&J sued.

Now even IF they win, this is public relations disaster for J&J! I feel the same way about Shelby vs SAAC, even if they WIN, this is a public relations disaster for Shelby. Two months ago I really didn't care one way or the other about SAAC, but now I support them 100%, 'just on principle'. What Shelby is doing/has done cannot be justified. It stinks, big time. It's an interesting comparison here to Shelby vs SAAC on trademark law.

"Honk, if your corporation is being sued by Carroll's corporation."

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-27-2008 at 09:15 PM..
Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
"Honk, if your corporation is being sued by Carroll's corporation."
The din will be defining!

BTW; my real point was that if SAAC were still a club in something other than name this might not be happening.......................Then again.........
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well that is a valid point Lovehamr, this has been a real wake up call for SAAC. Just what kind of 'club' is it? What kind of club will it be going into the future? Never the less, the work they have done over the years is an outstanding accomplishment, virtually unparalled within the automotive community as it concerns any other quality marque.

With the amount of effort put out over the years by SAAC I would have to conclude this was first and foremost a work of love and dedication to a marque. IF they in fact at some point have turned or are turning a significant profit, I don't have a problem with that.

Just like I still donate to Club Cobra without question as to how much Brent is or isn't making. I suspect he was working for 37 cents an hour (or less) for many years, if he's making a nice profit these days, good for him!

While I am not privy to SAAC's income/expenses I remain incredibly skeptical of the number's Shelby throws out in a feeble attempt to make it appear SAAC is 'making a bundle'. Does the current money make up for the years of hard work, foresight and planning that went into this HUGE endeavor before there was a profit? I hope so! The laborer is worthy of his hire.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:02 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Does everyone else notice how Wally throws these firebombs out on this board and then seems to disappear and post no further replies? Seems to me that besides being a "Professional Journalist" who also seems to be fact-checking imared, he is pssibly of the genus "Trollissaurus Vex"

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 05-28-2008 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: Spelling, "flying fat fingers"
Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Does everyone else notice how Wally throws these firebombs out on this board and then seems to disappear and post no further replies? Seems to me that besides being a "Professional Journalist" who also seems to be fact-checking imared, he is pssibly of the genus "Trollissaurus Vex"
A troll is a troll, just like his posts searching for information on all of the Shelby forums. Got to love the way he words them "I saw" or "I heard", or "back when I was at xxxx I thought I saw".....Really a shame he has others doing his research and homework for him, I can see why he believes so highly in Jerry H. Two cut from the same tattered cloth.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-28-2008, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Wallace, or History Buff, you are a writer with a great deal of experience and a number of books about Shelby, Cobras, etc. to your credit. If you presented a one-sided viewpoint in any one of those efforts that completely failed to recognize some valid counterpoints, and in so doing you gave a highly questionable credit to one side, and an unjustified slam to the other, would you feel you had done an acceptable job at telling the complete story?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Wally,

By the way, I did eventually get around to reading your book that my wife bought me for Christmas. It was the one with a title like Shelby, this, that and the other thing. If I was feeling professionally journalist, I guess I could spend 15 seconds and google the correct title of the book.

It was pretty good, but there were some minor points that seemed not exactly accurate. I get the feeling that you had not read the "SnakeBit" book when I read your section on the Series 1. I'm trying to think of some other minor things, ... I think when you discussed the Kirkhams, you said they had seen a "friend's" polish built jet, when I'm pretty sure it was a "relative's" jet. Oh, yeah, of the handful of misspellings or typo's, there was one, that was actually quite amusing, I laughed out loud when I came upon it.

Each chapter began with a story that I believe was in italics to differentiate it from the rest of the chapter. I was wondering about that, was it that each chapter started off with something that was a bit of legend, myth or perhaps maybe even just pure fiction?

Something else that I was curious about, the lack of a forward in the book by Shelby. I would expect that in a Shelby biography. Perhaps your book was not an "authorized" biography. Maybe Shelby Licensing is working to find a professional journalist more to their liking to do an authorized biography.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     

Historybuff is a misnomer ....

Hersh
Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked