Old 11-01-2008, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to PDHse
Not Ranked     
Default Ken Miles would be 90 today.

1st November 2008

If Ken Miles was still alive he would be 90 years old today.
Although Ken Miles raced a long time ago, his racing exploits are just as relevent and interesting to me as if they were happening today.
I never saw him race, i was born in 1966 the year he died. I envy people who watched him race or hung around the paddock whilst Miles was fettling under a bonnet.
Imagine walking around the paddock witnessing the MG R2 (Flying Shingle) turn up on the back of a trailer.
Or fast forward to the 60`s when Ken Miles is offloading his Cobra to take out to practice.
How i wish i saw the `Fliptop` Cobra at Nassau blast off into the lead albeit for a short while.
Ken Miles raced many different cars in the 50`s &60`s such as Porsche Spyders, the Troutman & Barnes spl,MG spls, Dolphin Formula Jnrs. The list goes on, but not only did he race and build spls he helped design track layouts in southern California. Tracks such as Bakersfield, Paramount Ranch and Pomona.
Living in the U.K. i don,t get the chance to see any of the cars he raced but some have visited these shores.
I,ve been lucky to have seen the GT40MK11 P/1015,the Cobra `Fliptop` CSX2196 and Cobra CSX2431, all at Goodwood events, a real thrill.
Ken Miles helped develop the Gt40, Cobras, Shelby Mustangs and the Sunbeam Tiger, all legendary cars.
Every motor racing enthusiast has favourite drivers from era and what i have described in this thread are all reasons why KM is a hero of mine.
When i find an old magazine article or look at my Shelby books or even better find an old video clip or film of KM in action it gives me satisfaction.
Heres to Ken Miles.

Paul
Old 11-01-2008, 03:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance/427 fe ford
Not Ranked     

paul, i have to agree with you. i also think he is an icon of the sportscar racing world. great photos ron
Old 11-01-2008, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Old 11-01-2008, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4990-shelby 427
Not Ranked     

I was just watching a video clip I have of Ken. I have to admit he is one of my favorite all time drivers.
Cheers to Ken!!
Old 11-01-2008, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would love to see footage of Ken Miles in the MG R2 (Flying Shingle) or in the MG EX179 at Bonneville.
Anybody seen the video MG`s across America? is there any of Miles in this video.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Miles , what war theatre?

It is sobering to think Miles would be 90, I forgot that he was older than Shelby. When we see pictures of him, it's all of him at the age he raced for Shelby and we forget he was a fixture in racing for many years before that. In fact he was racing before WWII, when Shelby was still a teenager. He began racing in America in 1950 or so, when Shelby was still a chicken farmer or maybe still an oil well roustabout. I know he and two other "codger" driver got jackets made that said something about an old man's racing club since they were about ten years older than most of the other drivers racing (Ed Leslie was another one of the group, having flown bombers during WWII).
Speaking of Miles, I never got it straight, was he fighting in Africa in the Tank Corps or from Normandy Eastward? Or did he start his WWII experience in Africa and then go on to the European theatre?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ken Miles saw duty in Normandy, France, Scotland, Holland, Belgium and Germany from 39 to 46. He was involved in the D Day invasion arriving two days afterwards.
He handled an anti aircraft gun, taught lorry driving and also served with a tank unit during the war.
When the fighting ceased Miles organized motorcycle races on the Baltic coast.
In 1946 Ken Miles bought a Frazer Nash and installed a Ford V8 which was the start of a successful racing career.
Info from various old car magazines.
Paul