17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-01-2008, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby tire ad on ebay--yes there was a Shelby tire

I bought the ad, I think (not sure yet if my bid was accepted).Anyhow the tires said SHELBY on the side and the ad has Shelby wearing a cowboy hat The ad dated from about 1967, '68 or '69. I wonder who made the tires for him? Were they better than the tires on Shelby Mustangs? You wonder why you couldn't order a Shelby Mustang with Shelby tires.

I also have the DEP hair pomade ad (that was when it was cool to grease your hair down flat) but I still say the picture of Shelby in that ad looks more like Albert Finney, the actor.

I haven't got the Jantzen clothing ad, but will buy it when I see it on ebay.
It has Shelby wearing a Tam-o-shanter (sp?)

Botany 500 , who make suits, sponsored his 4WD turbine indy car, I wonder if Botany 500 ever put out an ad showing the car, or if the car was never even painted before Shelby yanked the entry (around '68)
Old 11-01-2008, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

With the ties he has/had perhaps Goodyear (?)

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-08-2008, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I don't know if Goodyear private branded tires.

I will try to buy the ad next time it comes up for sale to see if, in real small print, it gives the actual supplier's name. I have a feeling real Cobra owners wouldn't have wanted them as the Goodyear brand was known worldwide in tires,whereas the Shelby brand tire, well, who wants to take the chance in a car as fast as the Cobra with an unknown brand? On the other hand, Mickey Thompson was a racer who sold tires under his own brand name and I guess they were pretty good in drag racing. Even car companies like Ferrari prefer to buy tires from outside rather than develop their own because tire technology takes world class experts and they don't want to tie up their own engineers learning what tiremakers already know. (Actually what a car company does now is "imbed" the tire company engineers in on a project like Ford did with Goodyear engineers on the Ford GT so that they are developing tires specifically for the car with the tire company's engineers)
Old 06-22-2009, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Tires

These Tires were made by Kelly Springfield which was owned by Goodyear. Goodyear would not make Private brand. These tire were never made for Cobra's. They were sold Thru Shelby International, who made Shelby Wheels. and were to be sold as a wheel Tire Combo, but scrapped because of no demand.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: