Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shell Valley Companies (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shell-valley-companies/)
-   -   opinions requested (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shell-valley-companies/107460-opinions-requested.html)

CoolCarl 10-30-2010 01:20 PM

opinions requested

I've been looking for roadsters for several months now and have found one I'm interested in. It's a Shell Valley on ebaymotors. The item number is: 220689569297.

I was wondering if some experienced owners/enthusiasts could tell me a little about this one or shell valley cobras in general.

Thank You, Carl.

bobcowan 10-31-2010 04:22 AM

You need more info. What kit? What Builder? Engine, trans suspension? Used or new parts?

CoolCarl 10-31-2010 07:03 AM

I've made an initial phone call and asked a few questions. Here's what I've gathered so far:

Its a 427 but not a side oiler. So I'm assuming its a center oiler? What other kinds of 427s are there? I asked if it was a center oiler or a small block 351 bored and stroked. He mentioned that it was a big block. Can you tell by the picture?

The tranny is a 4 speed. He didn't know what brand it is.

Which brings up the next item that he isn't the original builder. He bought it from the original builder. The original builder was having health issues.

The rear end is a straight axle and has rear disc brakes. Ford 9" with 4.11s. That seemed odd. I always thought you only used 4.11s if you were a serious drag racer.

I didn't ask about new vs. used parts. I'm not sure the current owner would know.

He mentioned the wheels were new and the tires were newer.

With this limited amount of info would anybody dare to venture an approximate value?

Thank you. Carl

redmt 10-31-2010 07:55 AM

Start low . You can always work your way up. Not knowing any real history on the car, I would figure that you will have to re do all of the running gear, engine, rearend and tranny. They may all be fine but you would have to figure that into the equation just in case. Alot of the center oilers were marine engines. It could have been heavily rusted in the water jackets and not have much life left. I would look at it as a roller chassis with all used parts.
It has been recommended many times by lots of guys to buy an already assembled car and to re-work it. I think that's good advice. If you choose to go that way, plan for the worst and hope for the best. Ball park W A G,,,,, offer him 20k cash. BTW, from the pix , that is not an FE block

John

slithering 10-31-2010 07:57 AM

coolcar,

427's are distinguished from other ford FE's by their "screw in" freeze plugs. 427's were also top oilers. The 9" main is good as they are almost bullet proof. I agree, the 4.11's are a bit different, perhaps that's what the builder had intended. Can you get pictures, Shell Valley produced a nice product when Rich Anderson was involved, I do not know much about the new owners. How many miles are on the car? We need much more info before we can assess the value of the car.

CoolCarl 10-31-2010 08:00 AM

Thanks for the tip and advice John. I appreciate it.

redmt 10-31-2010 08:11 AM

I'm certainly no Cobra expert but I know Ford fairly well. If I had time , I'd go look at it for you but I'm leaving Tuesday O'dark30 to go pick up mine. I'd suggest you take a quick road trip and go look at it. Your really only a day away.

John

Tom Wells 10-31-2010 08:16 AM

Carl,

Unless the photo is completely deceptive, that engine looks a lot like a 460!

You might need to get someone knowledgeable to put eyes on it before you bid. Hard to tell what else the present owner might not know...

Don't get me wrong - 460s are my favorite engine! It's just that when an owner doesn't know or can't find out what kind of engine is in the car, well, maybe the rest of it needs another look. A 4.11 behind a 460 would be a tire fryer par excellence!

Tom

MOTORHEAD 10-31-2010 08:31 AM

It's a 460 (part of intake not part of head)
460 + 4 speed + 4.11 diff = oil co stock ownership a must !!!!!!!!!!!!
But..... nice car for 18-20K, but plan on a higher rear gear/ OD tranny !!

CoolCarl 10-31-2010 08:54 AM

When I spoke to the owner yesterday I requested more pics via email. Hopefully I will get them in the next day or 2.

So the consensus is a 460. Being a 460 isn't really a positive or negative for me. I don't really have a preference (well, besides being a Ford).

The 4.11s will have to go. I'm more of a cruiser type of guy.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. I'll wait for the pics and more info before getting my hopes up.

Carl

Dirty Harry 10-31-2010 11:46 AM

I've been very happy with my Shell Valley for 18 years now. The body has never developed a crack or a starburst anywhere. The SVM is a little more "affordable" than cars from other manufacturers, but it's impossible to distinguish the grin on a SVM driver's face from the grin of a guy with $75K in his car. Just my opinion...

Three Peaks 10-31-2010 12:07 PM

SInce you are in Portland and the car is in Napa, CA, it is worth the drive to look at it before committing to a sale.
You could come to the Cascade Cobra Club meetings also and talk to owners of many different manufacturers' cars and get a feel. If the weather is good a lot of the guys bring their cars to the meetings and you can take a look at several different styles and manufacturers cars. We meet at Landmark Ford the second Saturday of each month. Watch for the schedule at www.cascadecobras.com

I've looked at the Shell Valley cars several times. They are pretty well built and designed cars but a couple things I've noticed about them- the footboxes are extremely small and the tunnel is so wide that the seats are quite often canted in their mounting so they don't set straight ahead.
Also, keep in mind that 460's are very heavy engines- quite a bit heavier than the 427's and much heavier than a small block. Gas milage is pretty abysmal with most of them also. I think most Shell Valley's come with a 15 gallon tank, so your cruising range with a tank that small and the expected gas milage is pretty short.

Just my 2 cent's worth....

Bob

CoolCarl 10-31-2010 12:15 PM

I appreciate everybodys opinions. They really help a novice like myself out.

Bob, I've checked out Cascade Cobra but the events are usually on a Saturday which never work out for me. I haven't had a Saturday off in at least 15 years. If I'm still interested when I see the additional pictures I'll plan a road trip next Sunday. I can leave at 10pm Saturday and drive down there and still make it back to work Monday afternoon. It should get me to Napa Sunday morning or afternoon which would be good for most people.

rustyBob 10-31-2010 02:32 PM

Carl...ask who the original owner was and if you can have his phone number....
or you can call Dana at Shell Valley with the vin# and he should be able to tell you who baught and built the car....
and yes thats a 429/460...not an FE 427...

dlampe 10-31-2010 03:40 PM

I will tell you that I met the new Shell Valley guys are they are as good as they come. I can't say enough about these guys and I have never own there car. Rich will certainly be missed but the new team in place at SV is serious about the growth of the company and would likely be very happy to help you out if you run into something down the road.

CoolCarl 10-31-2010 06:31 PM

I found out some more info.

The engine is a 429. He mentioned it was a dart block.

The tranny is a 4 speed toploader.

Aftermarket front suspension (not pinto or mustang II)

Pics will be coming Monday he said.

Looks like I might be going on a road trip next weekend.

Carl

CoolCarl 11-01-2010 10:46 PM

new pics

I just got some additional pictures. To me they look really good and I think I will try to take a road trip this weekend for a visual inspection.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1288676989

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...jpg?1288677051

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...a/DSC_0102.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q.../DSC_0024a.jpg

CoolCarl 11-01-2010 11:08 PM

After looking over the pictures more carefully I don't think I have enough saved for this particular roadster. I've managed to save 22k and this roadster might just be worth more than what I have available.

Tom Wells 11-02-2010 07:27 AM

Carl,

The seller's statements seem to get interestinger and interestinger...

Quote:

The engine is a 429. He mentioned it was a dart block.
I've searched and also gone to the Dart web site: http://www.dartheads.com/products/engine-blocks

I don't seem to find a Dart block available for the 429-460 (385 series) engines. :JEKYLHYDE

There are some aftermarket 385 series blocks available, but none of them come from Dart.

I'd redouble my efforts to make sure what's in that car, unless you're fond of surprises.

Tom

Excaliber 11-02-2010 08:08 AM

429, top loader, 4.11 rear gear. Cruising range: One gas station to the next. :)