Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shell Valley Companies

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2022, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Daytona, Ford 302
Not Ranked     
Default Door weather seals on a SV Daytona.

I guess some of you don’t have to worry about keeping the rain out and if you’re in a dry state a bit of extra air coming in is welcome but here in the U.K. things are a bit different. The first time I took the Daytona out in the rain my leg was soaked! That put me on a quest to improve what was there which was basically a random selection of stick on seals placed in random places. Usually door weather proofing is fitted over the door edge. I’m referring to the usual combination of rubber coated metal which will grip the door surround edge attached to a hollow rubber tube. Reading this back, I’m sorry guys if this sounds patronising but there is another solution as you’ll see. The body lip on my SV Daytona is 7-8 mm thick. Most of the profiles available are for steel manufactured cars and about 2-3 mm thick. I was happy to find a supplier in the uk that could provide a rubber hollow tube attached to a fitting suitable for 7mm lip. Game over I thought and ordered it. Not so. When I fitted it to the bottom edge the door would not shut to the second fully closed position. I subsequently discovered this was because the gap was uneven. It was too tight at the door latch position but correct at the front end. The only solution I can think of is some small bore adhesive hollow circular rubber door sealer which will allow the door to close properly but there will be an increasing gap towards the front. Also the adhesive always lets go at some point. I should just add the door to body gaps are pretty much perfect. Any SV Daytona owners or anyone dealt with the same problem and found a solution? Many thanks.
Dek
Old 04-18-2022, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

Hi Dek,
Use a seal on the door and on the body to make up for irregularities. The two pressing together should get you a good seal and allow enough compression to get that door shut. Use two different sizes if you need to..

M. Krause
Old 04-19-2022, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by krausewich View Post
Hi Dek,
Use a seal on the door and on the body to make up for irregularities. The two pressing together should get you a good seal and allow enough compression to get that door shut. Use two different sizes if you need to..
Thanks for your reply. Whilst waiting for one I’d came to the same conclusion (more or less). Although I’m not a fan of adhesive seals the bottom and front edges are largely hidden on the door. Another advantage is if necessary I can cut it short where the gap is very small and it won’t be visible. I think I’ll just put some finishing trim (not weather seal) around the door aperture.
Dek
Old 04-20-2022, 10:49 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I had a weatherstrip change I wanted to make but was unsure of a product I wanted to use. I checked out Steele Rubber Product's website and found that they offered a wide range of products. One quick online purchase later, I was back in business. You might see if they have something that might apply to your situation.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
I had a weatherstrip change I wanted to make but was unsure of a product I wanted to use. I checked out Steele Rubber Product's website and found that they offered a wide range of products. One quick online purchase later, I was back in business. You might see if they have something that might apply to your situation.
Thanks but I’ve found a company here in the U.K. (Coh Baines) who supply a huge range of weather seals and profiles. They are currently sending me some samples.
Dek