Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shell Valley Companies

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five 351C Ford
Not Ranked     
Default new guy looking at first Cobra..Shell Valley

Hi guys...been reading alot here, lots of good info.
I am going to look at my first Cobra and it's a SV.
I would like ask what areas I should really look at.
Are there any known problems that exist? You know stuff like, Oh they all do that, just do this.......etc..
I'm really going to concentrate on checking the welds and suspension pieces. I figure the worst the engine or trans can do is break and it won't move. Broken suspension or frame can kill you.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley, 427ci 500hp
Not Ranked     

sv guys are easy to work with. But you will need to have a general idea of how it all goes together. The install guide is not that great. They are going to be at a BBQ this weekend in Erie, Co. Its a good chance to talk to them and some other well informed people about SV if you live in the area.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for the reply.
I e mailed SV, their response was that there aren't really any issues specific to the car, just be sure it is well assembled. I guess I'll run with that.
Erie Colorado is a little far away but thanks for the info.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 418W, tremec 3550tko, 9" ford rear, 3.0 gear, silver/black
Not Ranked     

I have a Shell Valley and last week I topped the 15K mile mark. I have had absolutely no chassis issues other than a tie rod end that was cracked and that could not be attributed to anything that Shell Valley did when building the chassis. Just a manufacturers defect and Shell Valley replaced the part at no charge with no shipping costs!!
I have been VERY satisfied with the Shell Valley Cobra!!

If you have any other questions, PM me and I would be happy to answer!!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

+ 1 on Shell Valley.....awesome support
Old 08-27-2008, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Shell Valley guys are great and they make a quality product. They make my Dragon kits to my specs for me and I have been extremely happy with quality and workmanship. I spent several days at their facility as the first Dragon parts were being made and can assure you that they know what they are doing.
Have a great one, John
Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just dont like the slip fit headers, does your leak at all, shell vally told me, that they will seal up after time, do you guys have the same problem, let me know, ROB
Old 08-28-2008, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Bfitz--

Have you considered any other Mfrs >? Superformance, Factory5,

how did you arrive at Shell Valley >?

--Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 08-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I built a Shell Valley car 16 years ago and am still driving it today. It was a low dollar project, but it turned out pretty nice. I've never regretted going with SV. I've driven the snot out of the car on the autocross courses at the last several London shows. It's never been on a trailer and has never broken down and made me walk. It's won a bunch of car show trophies and people stop and stare at it when I drive through a town. It accelerates hard, corners well, and stops good, too. The body looks good, although I had some problems with fit on some of the components. I understand they corrected those issues after my car was built. Their people are great to deal with. I have about 30% of the dollars in my car as the nicer replicas out there, but no one has more fun than me. If I were looking to build another Cobra replica today, I'd call them for sure. If you're looking at a SV that's already been built, make sure you drive it, and check it ALL OVER for anything that would make it unsafe. These cars are a handful, even if well built.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 418W, tremec 3550tko, 9" ford rear, 3.0 gear, silver/black
Not Ranked     

Rob,
I built my sidepipes because I did not like the leaking slip fit connections!! I tried a few sealants and they still leaked so I put flanges on mine.
See my gallery for photos of the project!!

It really is fairly easy and I have a parts list of all of the parts you will need!
Let me know if you are interested and give me an email address so that I can email it to you!!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good stuff..just what I needed. Good to know no frame troubles. I can fix stuff like tie rods. I plan on checking all the welds under the car. I'm also going to spend alot of time checking the doors, trunk and hood fit...

Without naming names, I learned from some owners of other brands that engine compartment heat can get passed the firewall and foot boxes and intrude on the passenger compartment, making the driver and passenger very umcomfotable. I understand this is probably a hot car anyway, but I really don't want a hot breeze blowing on my legs all day.
Is this a problem with the SV? If so, is there an accepted fix?

How about parts to improve the handling? Like anti sway bars, shocks & different rate springs? How well do the Granada/GM caliper brakes work?

Thanks for your time...
Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have heard somewhere that shell valley are now using the old midstates body shape is this true, can anyone comfirm this?

thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley, 302
Not Ranked     

Forget the headers and sidepipes, they leak and are poorly constructed. Have your own made with flanges that bolt the sidepipes to the headers. Headers warp where they bolt to the engine and leak, very thin material. Since I redid mine I have had zero leaks and problems.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates chassis, IRS, 408W, Alu heads, Webers.
Not Ranked     

I am using a Midstates chassis but understand that Midstates is owned by SV. Nice strong chassis with good looking welds. So far so good... The guys at Midstates have always responded quickly. Good company, good product. White Rose, I also had problems with the headers. I ended up making my own. I am going to attempt to attached some pix, dont know if it will work. I say "Go For It". Building one of these machines is the second best thing a guy can do in his garage..
Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

leaky headers can be annoying...anyone fit an undercar exhaust? Think there's room?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Shell Valley is constantly upgrading their product. Rich Anderson bought Shell Valley a number of years ago and then bought Mid States as well. Recently they evaluated their Cobra and ended up using the best parts from both companies to come up with one, best Cobra. They are using the Mid States bodies for all of the Cobras now. I have bought 2 of the new bodies. In my opinion the Mid States body is one of the best looking on the market. The quality is good too. The hood, doors, and trunk have inner skins with steel plates bonded in for the the hinge mounts. The body is 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick, has kevlar in high stress areaa, and the fender opening have a nice, thick rolled edge. Their molds are new. The parts are straight and true. I don't use the inner tub for the cars I built. The weight of the parts I buy is 172lbs.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley- 390 FE, 4 speed toploader, 3.50's
Not Ranked     

Bfitz...My SVC is not completed, so I cannot comment on runability, but I will say the chassis is very beefy. I have rode in a SVC with a built 460, and he's not afraid to run it. It was basically then that I decided to go with SVC.

Customer service and support- Absolutely everyone I have dealt with at SVC (usually Dana) is top-notch, and more than willing to help. Couldn't ask for better service.

Another thing is that you can buy the whole kit at once, or you can build it one part at a time.

Greg
Old 08-31-2008, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ANTIQUE AND COLLECTABLEFORD 460
Not Ranked     

Go with AC Autos thare the best!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

give Mahlon Miller a call in Erie, CO. He builds SV kits, Miller Motorworks, and will tell you all the pros/cons. mmiller@northmetrofire.org or 303-828-3642
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 08-31-2008, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Where do you Live ?

Do you want to meet with Rich Anderson and visit his facility ? I highly recommend this with any Cobra manufacture.

If so, I live 60 miles from his location and can go with you for a tour, and drive a finished car. I have a Lone Star, if you want to compare the two company's. "Hurricane" is also pretty close to me. Let me know.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 08-31-2008 at 02:11 PM..