SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2001, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     
Default Front License Plate Bracket

I live in NJ where the state requires a front license plate. Has anyone out there fabricated a front bracket? How and where did you mount it? I have seen a cobra parts seller who offers one for $150 but I think that is a little steep for my pocketbook. Any plans, instructions, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any NJ cobra owners out there, have you had any trouble from LE if you do NOT run a front plate? Thanks to all who answer.
SuperHart's Cobra Project Page
Old 08-01-2001, 12:12 PM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #328 w/ 390FE
Not Ranked     

Are you sure that you need a front license plate. Here in VA you need 2 plates, however, doing a little surfing at our DMV people have found the following statement: "Two plates must be displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of the vehicle. However, one plate may be displayed if the vehicle was manufactured for only one plate." I would check with somebody to be sure. One thing I have noticed is that all the new Vettes have only one plate.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham or the Evil Empire. Do kids NEED college?
Not Ranked     

I grew up in Jersey and I'm pretty sure they're hardas#s about this.
As a car nut you notice when you see the nice smooth front ends of cars(vettes and porsches) messed up with plates. I have XK's (shelby dealers)cobra cat. and they sell a bracket that mounts between the turn signal and bumper(or quick jack) I'll check the price when I get home. I believe the originals had a spring loaded bracket that mounted on the bottom of the radiator "mouth" as an option.

For Turk: Tenafly elementary school (Tenafly, NJ)
Tenafly middle school (Tenafly, NJ)
Blair Academy (Blairstown NJ)
Oh and I know every other word to every Springsteen song he
ever wrote
pk
Old 08-02-2001, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham or the Evil Empire. Do kids NEED college?
Not Ranked     

uh... XK unlimited's bracket is $160!
I wonder how much the ticket would be if a trooper stopped you though
They're usually such nice guys.
pk
Old 08-02-2001, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

If a state trooper stopped me for not having a front bracket I would just have to pull out my State PBA card along with my license and registration. Perhaps he would cut me a break. I hope to hear from other NJ cobra owners to see what kind of experiences they might have had.
Old 08-03-2001, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ultima GTR, chebby stuff
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Superhart,
Try this guy, he has some cool stuff.

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/katam25/index.htm

Later,

Greg

Last edited by Dirt Cowboy; 08-04-2001 at 09:38 AM..
Old 08-04-2001, 05:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Appears all the brackets will be in the $150 range, try

Finish Line

www.cobraaccessories.com

e.alibrandi@worldnet.att.net

Page 24 of their catalogue, Front License Bracket
Old 08-04-2001, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Couple of ways to do it, none costing any $150. Trip to the hardware store, auto parts store, $10 - $20.

I'm using a front bumper hoop. Drilled two holes in the bottom center for a sheet metal bracket. The actual bracket for the tag is from a boat trailer kit.

Or. Make one that sandwiches between the parking light and body. I made fog light brackets that way.
Old 08-04-2001, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have you thought about mounting the plate inside the "mouth" at the front of the car?

Many have talked about building some kind of spring-loaded bracket that would tilt back against heavy air pressure when moving.

Mine's hung inside on a couple pieces of wire, allowing it to tilt up when the wind hits it.

The builder of the car hung the plate there, and I expected to get pulled over at some point and told to put it on a bracket, but have yet to get any flak for it (I've only put 1500 miles on the car though).

Anyhow, just a thought.

K
Old 08-04-2001, 04:58 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Arrow Trick bracket...

FYI...
The original Cobra 427 (non S/C) came with a front bracket that attached to the lower bumper bar via threaded inserts and featured a spring loaded bracket that laid back as the speed increased. It was made so that about 1/3 of the plate was below the bar and 2/3 above (amazing how I made then add up correctly).

This would not be hard to duplicate. Running without a front plate where required is directly porportional to how much crap you want to take with the fuzz. Yeras ago, a friend of mine refused to "ruin" the front of his MGA with a front plate. He found a really nasty, rusty, scabby front plate bracket, bolted his plate to it and kept it under his front seat. When question by the authoritiesd, he would pull it out and exclaim "darn MG dealer, I've had a new bracket on order for months since this one rusted off and they still can't give me a delivery date". Worked great for some time until the same Trooper stopped him for the third time....

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 08-06-2001, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Is this really a problem (not to run a front plate in a state that requires one) with a Cobra? Unless you are doing something really stupid, and some times even if you are, I can't see a cop hassling you about it. I live in Illinois where we need a front plate. I have been stoped a coule of times for doing very stupid **** and never had a problem. Just be polite and if he does ask about it, tell him there is no where to put it. Don't try this with a regular car though, it won't work, especially with an MG (joke, ha ha).

Jeff
Old 08-06-2001, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 FE Center Oiler w/ 48 IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to zimmy
Not Ranked     

If you really need to get one, try a trailer or marine supply store and they usually have an aluminum or plastic bracket that will fit under the front turn signal. It was made for a rear trailer light I assume. Here is what mine looks like.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have had a couple experiences running w/o front plates before Michigan dropped the front plate requirement.

I used to have a '66 Shelby GT350 with the fiberglass "racing apron" front valance on it. I had a tranny cooler mounted in it, and a plate on a swinging bracket suspended from the grille above. At any speed, the plate would just swing up, out of the way. Got stopped in Ohio one day for that..."I stopped you, because you don't have a front license plate on your car"....."Oh yes, sir, I DO".....when he walked back up toward the front of the car, he was absolutely dumbfounded that there WAS a plate there! Thank GOODNESS he didn't touch it, or notice that it would swing up.

I used to have a plate attached to the spoiler on the front of my Pantera. The spoiler and plate took on a bunny (there's those bunnies again) on the highway one night. The plate was too wrinkled to put back on. I carried it with me under the seat. Only time I was asked about it was one afternoon crossing the border to Canada. Told 'em I couldn't find a new bracket since the bunny incident ('ya know how hard it is to find parts for old foreign cars....) - and they sent me on my way.

Fortunately, since then, Michigan has become a "one-plate" state.

cobrajeff
Old 08-17-2001, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile front license plate bracket

dirt cowboy, thanks for posting the info on the front license plate bracket!! i contacted mike and bought a bracket. he sent it in three days. it fits and looks great, was easy to install, and was not expensive, $30.00 including shipping!! now i'm legal! one less reason for "the man" to hassle me about my cobra(went a year and a half with no front plate-that's a @ $73.00 fine here in nebraska)!! thanks again!! you da man!!