SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     
Default I wanted a 3rd brake light, soooooooooooo

I got creative.......see the link;

http://firstcoastcobraclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=492

Old 10-27-2009, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 427
Not Ranked     

That is great! I also have been throwing around some ideas for a 3rd brakelight, but of all the ones I have seen, that looks the best!
Nice job!

Usually spotted on two wheels...
2005 Yamaha R1 for the street
2004 Yamaha R6 for the track
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 for the gas milage...
Old 10-27-2009, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

That's beautiful work, and well-integrated into the existing body.

My only comment is that 3rd brake lights are effective because they are higher than regular brake lights, up in the eyes of an inattentive driver. A third light down lowwww (on these cars) is only going to add a smidge of extra visibility.

I can't think of a good, effective, attractive way to add a 3rd to a Cobra. Better, perhaps, would be super-bright LED lamps in the taillights (Maybe something custom-made), and, best, a "flicker" or "stutter" circuit that makes the brake lamps flash quickly a time or two before remaining on. Such things are technically illegal but vastly enhance visibility. You could have a switch on the flash module to turn the effect off.

(The original research on a third brake light evaluated a steady light, as we have now, a steadily blinking light, and a "cyberlight" that flashed faster the harder the vehicle was braked. Surprise, surprise, the last was the most effective. Triple surprise, DOT went for the simplest to implement. If you watch, you see quite a few motorcycles and other high-risk vehicles with stuttering or flashing brake lights. Hmm. Time to haul out the electronics sketchpad and soldering iron...)

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 10-27-2009, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up 3rd brake light

Nice integration work, well thought out, can you post a pic taken from rear of car showing all 3 brake lights on ?

Last edited by kitcarbp; 10-27-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A 3rd light that mounts to the rear edge of the cockpit would be effective. If you choose or shape the housing well, it wouldn't even be unattractive. I'd aim it slightly upward, centered on the eyes of a standing person about 25 feet behind the car.

If it could be unclamped and unplugged for show, so much the better. Have to think about this one, too.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Nicely done Earl!

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the compliments and the input. I considered all things and felt this was my best solution for now. I may try the pulsing thing. I will get a picture of all lights as soon as I get a chance, but it will be a while before I put the body back on.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now you've got me with a crosshatch pad, working out a stutter circuit.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Dayum! I expected to see some ostrich-looking stalk with a bunch of lights on the end, hammered into the gel coat between the stripes. This is cleeeeeaaaaannnn. Nice work!

-Dean
Old 10-27-2009, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Hey Gunner........... how about on the top portion of the roll bar? Have it conform to the curve, or maybe below the top curve?? Highest point on the car!!!
Hey Earl... were you able to cut a deal w/ Jerry on the back half of the body? I'm going to work on the front end recipient tomorrow.
Ted
Old 10-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile third brake light

I've been doing some research on a third brake light but I have not found one that I like.
Some have 60 LEDs with 30 in the center as a brake light and the sides are 10-10-10 group for a sequential turn signal. It would have to mount on my roll bar.
Still looking

Dwight
Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Earl,
I like the look. Great intergration.

I agree that it is difficult for other to see our cars brake lights. I converted my red lens turn signal only lights to also fuction as brake lights. So with the brakes on all four lens light up putting twice the amount of light out. But still it is low.

I have thought of a 3rd brake light but as others have said: location. I have wanted to intergrate something into the roll bar, but I didn't want to compromise its primary function.

http://www.hyperlites.com/
I was thinking about purchasing some of these blinkie lights and fixing them to something in the rear. My other thought was again converting 2 of the brake lights with the blinkie circuit. Allowing 2 lights to blink 4 times (in ca mode) before going solid.

...maybe I should just stay in the gas!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

To be honest I was scared when I saw the name of the thread. But it looks great! Nice work!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I spent a pleasurable hour last night designing a brake light flash circuit - used to spend my days with a pen in one hand and a soldering iron in the other, but haven't done any design for years - and came up with a nice one. Even got as far as a tiny PCB layout.

Of course, such things are available. I found this supplier: Brake Light Flasher ...on my first search. Same deal, I'd bet it has the same circuitry as I sketched out. Splice it into your brake light line, connect the third wire to ground... presto, your brake lights flash.

He has a couple of models that flash differently. Partly because I live in California and partly because I like the pattern best, I designed mine to do the four-flashes-and-stop pattern; continual blinking is illegal most places (and annoying after a while), and I don't see any advantages to nine flashes before steady.

You could easily tuck this into the space next to the brakelight switch in the master cylinder well. Mount it with a bypass switch and you can easily disable it when you like. Thirty bucks, an hour's work - and presto, safer brakelights. Nice.

I'll probably still build my own, because I like to tweak things.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Nice work Earl,that little sucker looks bright enough to get someones attention......
Old 08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlsflyinCobra View Post
That's a nice thread. I wondered why no one had done it before.

EDIT -- I thought I was posting this somewhere else. hmmm.....
Old 09-02-2010, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     

here's the 3rd brake light option I went with....
http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68
then click on the exterior thread. You see two areas.. one of the light and one of the body mount location. Also, the Links thread has the place I buoght it. I've seen on other Cobra's... hardly noticable with such a small footprint and low profile.

Mark