SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2001, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 6 speed Richmond

Has anybody matched a 429/460 ford to a Richmond 6-speed. If so, what combinations and gearing works well? What companies might have bell housings and other subsequent parts? I think it might be a smooth use of big block power. Thanks for any comments.
Nick C.
Old 08-04-2001, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA / nascar side oiler
Not Ranked     

I think the 5 speed is the choice because of it's length , the 6 speed may be a problem .
Old 08-04-2001, 08:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The overall length is the same as the 5 speed, but there will probably an issue with tunnel width and shifter placement.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-04-2001, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info guys. That concurs with other info I've gotten. I was at Lonestar in Ft Worth today and they said that some tunnel and clutch work would be needed. Can the Tremac 5 handle big block power? The old toploader is sounding better everyday. Thanks Nick C.
Old 08-04-2001, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '73 Jensen Healey Mk.I #13046
Not Ranked     
Cool TKO...

A new stock Tremec TKO can take a 460 and give you change. not to worry.
Old 08-04-2001, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA / nascar side oiler
Not Ranked     

Why not get the Richmond 5 speed ! The top loader works great with 331 rear , just beef up the axles if your going to drop the clutch at 6000 k like I did .The 4 speed works good with a 354 rear if you don't mind making a lot of noise , and shift more . You realy need more than one cobra !
Old 08-06-2001, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Axle Ratio

What rear axle ratio are you using? I'm building a 514 and considered the 6-speed, but was convinced by everyone I talked to that the 6th gear would never be used. Of course, I'm using a very mild axle at 2.73:1 ratio. This is supposed to match well with the taller low end gears in the Richmond trannies. I'm installing a Street 5-Speed and think this will give me the best combination of performance off the line and cruise on the highway.

My drivetrain combination is the 514 running a Ford Racing billet steel flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, Lakewood bellhousing, McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing and the Richmond Street 5-speed. I'm in the process of final installation and so far everything has bolted up correctly. If you need any part numbers, let me know.

Chuck

Last edited by cwmcobra; 08-06-2001 at 04:13 AM..
Old 08-06-2001, 06:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CWM,

The 2.73 dif is a good choice for you engine and the 5 speed. I'd keep the same ratio with the 6 speed, but you'd end up the equivalent of a 2.2:1 dif ratio in 6th. Strictly an "economy" gear giving approximately 1800 rpm at 65 mph.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-06-2001, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I installed the Richmond 6 speed with my 429. I had to knotch out a 6 inch long by about 3/4 inch wide space on the drivers side of the tunnel in order to clear the shifter linkage. I also had to redo my crossmember because the mount ended up a couple inces in back of the rear most mounts on the chassis. My driveshaft is still about 24" long so there aren't really any overall length issues. I went through and selected all of the ratios with somebody from Richmond. I can't remember all of the transmission ratios that we selected off the top of my head, but I have 3:50's in the rear.

Components are Lakewood bellhousing, Mcleod flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and hydraulic throwout.

If your still interested I can try to dig up Richmond's ratio selection chart that I used and try to remember how we figured it all out (not my area of expertise).

There's probably no "real" advantage anywhere by using the 6 speed. However, it's different, more gears to shift, and it does raise some eyebrows now and then.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Richmond 6

Thanks for the info guys. I havn't decided rear ratio yet but you've given me some good food for thought. Thanks again
Nick C.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA427SC #323, 427 SO, 428 crank, 454 CI, "IM2QWIK"---ERA GT-40 #2043 Ford SVO 302 Weber 48 IDA's 400HP "1 GT 40"
Not Ranked     
Cool Check this out...

Nick,

For some reason I can't show the thread...But I'll try 1 more time... It ain't working... Go to shop talk & last post was on July 26, 2001..Look under wide or close tranny gears... Hope this helps...

spotterjoe

Last edited by 65cobra427; 08-06-2001 at 03:39 PM..
Old 08-06-2001, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA427SC #323, 427 SO, 428 crank, 454 CI, "IM2QWIK"---ERA GT-40 #2043 Ford SVO 302 Weber 48 IDA's 400HP "1 GT 40"
Not Ranked     
Cool Check this out...

Nick,

Can't link to thread... see above post... I linked to a spreadsheet in that thread that shows different combo's of tranny gears related to speed & RPM...

spotterjoe

Last edited by 65cobra427; 08-06-2001 at 03:43 PM..
Old 08-06-2001, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default richmond 6

Thanks Spotterjoe