SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2001, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 FE Center Oiler w/ 48 IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to zimmy
Not Ranked     
Question Hydraulic lifters question

I reposted this message in this forum in case it was a better subject match. Hoping for some suggestions:

"I just completed a cam change in my 427FE Center Oiler. I also changed from solid to hydraulic lifters. As suggested, I soaked the lifters in a bucket of oil for 24 hours before installing them in the engine. The engine then sat for a little over a week before it was started. It seems now that the lifters have not completely filled with oil or "pumped up" as it was called. To get them to pump up, do I just run the engine for a while and they will fill, or is there another suggested way to get them to pump up without disassembly? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks."
Old 08-04-2001, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

The best way to do this is to pre oil the engine. Remove the distributor, use an oil pump priming shaft on a drill motor, and pump oil through the engine. Rotate the crank a few times so all the lifters get pressurized.

Even if you don't do this, the lifters should pump themselves up a few seconds after the engine is running. Set the clearance at just past zero lash, let them pump up, then adjust them down to 1/2 - 1 turn past zero lash.

You're breaking in a new cam, so the engine can't be idling while you're fooling with this. Get the RPM's up around 2000 for 20 minutes.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already run the engine for break-in. I ran it at 1500 RPM for about an hour. The oil pressure was very good (about 45-50 psi) for the whole time. Still they did not pump up. Perhaps the pushrods were too far into the lifters at the onset. I had set them to zero lash plus a half turn before running the engine at all. Do you suggest resetting them to just about zero lash and then run a while to fill the lifters and then reset them to zero lash plus a half turn?
Old 08-04-2001, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     
Default Hydraulic Lifters

In future, keep in mind that simply soaking hydraulic lifters in oil is ineffective in priming them for installation.

You can prime them two ways: 1) Submerge them in oil and pump up and down several times with a pushrod, or 2) use an oil can to pump oil thru their side holes.

Jim
Old 08-04-2001, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Zimmy,

I think you probably have a bigger problem than you think. From my understanding, 427s can be equipped with either solid or hydraulic lifters but if if solid lifters were used, the lifter oil galleries were plugged. If you're switching from solid lifters to hydraulic lifters and the lifter oil galleries were correctly blocked off, you now need to unblock them. Otherwise there's no oil getting to the lifters and they'll never pump up. Usually the lifter oil galleries were plugged by installing allen head plugs in the short galleries tapping off the center oil gallery. You need to remove the top allen head plug and you should find another allen head plug below it. Remove the bottom one and then reinstall the top one.

You can read more about this in Steve Christ's book titled, "How to Rebuild Big-Block Ford Engines."

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Chris
Old 08-05-2001, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris:

Thanks for the bad news!!! You may be right about the plugs. The engine was built for me 10 years ago and I don't know if they blocked the passages or not. I don't think they are in business anymore and I don't think I can find them anyway. Since the engine ran for over an hour (cam breakin and a little check out running) and the lifters don't seem to be filled, I am sadly thinking that you may be right. I don't have Christ's book (I should get it) but I do have the Pat Ganahl book, "Ford Performance", that has a great description and pictures of exactly what you are talking about. Oh, well I guess I'll probably have to tear the manifold off again and check/fix the problem. While I am there I guess I'll also manually fill the lifters. Then I'll be sure.

Corey
Old 08-08-2001, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you all for your help and guidance. I can now finish the story and hopefully prevent someone from the same problem.

As you have all read in thread, I went from a solid lifter to hydraulic lifters when I did a cam swap. The hydraulic lifters never filled with oil even after an hour break in. Suggestion was that the lifter gallery was plugged when the engine was built for solid lifters. CLOSE - but no cigar.

The real problem is that I have a 1964 427 Low Riser block. This block (and those up until '68, I believe) was designed from the beginning to be a solid lifter block and nothing else. The lifter galleries were not plugged. They were never drilled out!!!

Oh, the things that we learn the hard way. I have since torn down the engine again, sent the cam back to be reground for solid lifters and then I'll build it up again. Hopefully, this time it will be successful and I can get the awesome Weber power that I expect (and now deserve!!)

Thanks again to all that have tried to help. I really appreciate the thoughts. If anyone needs help, I am getting very good at 427 FE teardowns.

Corey
Old 08-08-2001, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Bummer. It certainly could have been worse though. Tearing the manifold and timing chain cover off is no picnic but at least there was no engine damage. Glad you figured it out.

Chris
Old 08-14-2001, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Be kind to your Snakes or they will attempt to get even. Is this what is meant by being "Snake Bit"????