SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     
Default Rodent Free Garage?

Any ideas how to achieve this? Last year they got into the Cobra, Mustang and motorcycle. I have tried traps with cheese and peanut butter, which work occasionally, but they are always more lurking around. I can't poison them because we have cats that roam around outside, and don't need them eating poisoned mice. I don't let the cats in the garage as I do not want them crawling around the cars either. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I use sonic repellers and they seem to be working.

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m753
Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

You need meaner cats. My Neighbor has mice & Rats. Never ever seen one here nor signs of them(Well, That's not entirely true, the outdoor cat left one on the front lawn once, as well as many birds & lizards). We have indoor cats & one outdoor. Get a thick cover for the car & get a garage cat! A big mean one!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I looked into the sonic repellers, but was told they might not work well in a garage full of cars and other assorted stuff. I'll give them a try, they're cheap enough.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

13 - our cats are good hunters, killing everything from mice & rats, to birds, rabbits, and have even fought with raccoons (and won). The problem is they can't get into the garage, but the mice can. I am worried that if a cut a cat door into the garage that I might be creating an even bigger problem with the cats or other large animals that may get in through the door.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

There is a peppermint scented bag of herbs that is supposed to work. I have heard mothballs and scented dryer sheets work and it has also been suggested to put a tray of used dirty cat litter in the garage so the mice think there are cats around.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Premier Motorsports
Not Ranked     

In most cases, mice like to run along floor wall junctions instead of out in the open. I have purchased some "catch all" traps from EcoLab or other Pest Control companies. This look like tin boxes and should be placed around doors where mice would enter. The mouse enters, but can not leave. Recommend checking at least 1 per week - dump out dead mice and replace trap. You can place several in your garage, but always make sure the enter hole is placed right up against the wall and the trap always remains right up next to the wall.

Look in your garage and see if there is anything there to attract the mice. Also, see if there are any opening that a mouse might enter and seal. A common house mouse or field mouse needs the size of a number 2 pencil to gain access. Check all doors and make sure they are sealed well and close doors when possible.

Hope that helps.

Paul
Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

The scented stuff is a combination of spearmint and pepermint oil. I've used it in the garden shed and the mice still come in. I have placed bags of it under the hood of the tractor, Cobra, and all of the other cars just in case it does work. I also have two "Rat Zappers". One in the basement and one in the shed. Unfortunately, at least in the case of the mice in the basement, they figured out how to get around the contact plate that electrocutes them. The snap traps have worked the best, especially the plastic ones. The newer wooden ones aren't sensitive enough. The mice eat all of the peanut butter and the trap doesn't spring. The plastic ones are a lot more sensitive and successful.

I also hunt down snakes in my neighbor's yards and transplant them into our garden and around the shed for added security. So far no damage to any of the vehicles.

Last edited by WarrenG; 12-08-2009 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
I also hunt down snakes in my neighbor's yards and transplant them into our garden and around the shed for added security. So far no damage to any of the vehicles.
How's the wife like that move? I know my wife wouldn't be crazy about snakes in the back yard, but then neither would the neighbors since I live in an urban environment.....

www.partskeeper.com
Old 12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

As discussed, the mice like to run along the edges. I place traps along the entrances, right up against the wall. No cheese or other item needed. Place the trigger side towards the door/opening. A bare trap works fine. Cleans 'em out quick. I set out 4 traps and usually get 2 mice a night until they are all gone.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Doug living in DC I would think that all your neighbors would already be used to snakes---what with all the politicians around you fair city

Dick
Old 12-08-2009, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've used the sonic devices for almost 2 years now and no more rodents in the garage, definetly worth the cost, I use 2 for my 2 car garage. Best of luck
Old 12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaluv View Post
Doug living in DC I would think that all your neighbors would already be used to snakes---what with all the politicians around you fair city

Dick
DC has more of a rat problem (literally and figuratively) than a snake problem.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 12-08-2009, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 238 lonestar w/IRS rear end
Not Ranked     

try fox urine, you can get it at home depot or lowes, and from what I have heard it works great.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichonetodrive View Post
try fox urine, you can get it at home depot or lowes, and from what I have heard it works great.
Smells good too.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 238 lonestar w/IRS rear end
Not Ranked     

at least should get rid of the cats, but if you put it at the doorway or where a hole is that should take care of your problem
Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish21 View Post
I've used the sonic devices for almost 2 years now and no more rodents in the garage, definetly worth the cost, I use 2 for my 2 car garage. Best of luck
what he said....works for me in both house and garage(s).
Old 12-08-2009, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421 351W
Not Ranked     

Stuff some steel wool inside your side pipes and cover the ends with a plastic baggy secured with a heavy duty rubber band. Some guys will put moth balls in the cockpit and engine compartment. Others have put bars of "Irish Spring" soap in the cockpit (then bathe, come springtime!). Sticky type of mouse traps also work. The secret to using a Victor type mousetrap with peanut butter is to mount a little bit of a cotton ball on the trip mechanism and then swab the cotton with the peanut butter; a mouse can lick off the peanut butter on a plain trip, but when they get greedy and tug on the cotton ball, "bam!" works everytime! Just remember everything you did, when Spring comes...you don't want your BB smelling like mothballs!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Stay away from mothballs,they are toxic to humans as well.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will solve your problem for you ,try this, and let me know how many you get, I had them so bad they would even spit the nuts out of the peanut butter, till I tried the glue traps, there two peices of plastic like a shoe box lid with glue on them, then put your peanut butter inside, when they step inside there ass is done, they will flap all over the place till they poop out then have your square shovel ready, and splat, game over.