SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2001, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Kajo Send a message via AIM to Kajo Send a message via Yahoo to Kajo
Not Ranked     
Default newbie wanting to get a cobra built (specs)

Hey all, I am just shopping around for my future car and my eyes came to rest on the Cobra replicas... I really like the body design, kind of that roadster look.

That is all i want though, the look, the rest of it can go, I don't want the dated suspension and dated brakes. Is it possible to completely put in a new suspension with bigger rotors and disk brakes all around?

I want to use this car kind of like a street racer, so acceleration will be very important to me, I heard that some of the cobra's could even "wheelie" which is quite impressive.

My chriteria

-powerful engine, preferably fuel injected
-manual transmission
-better suspension
-better brakes

Can anyone give me some feedback as to what I should do?

Thanks
Kajo out-
Old 08-12-2001, 02:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Many, if not most of the replicas built have better mechanical parts than the original cars. The most "modern" is probably JBL, although Superformance and some other company (whose name escapes me right now) have pretty sophisticated designs overall. Remember that all Cobra replicas are somewhat limited by the overall original shape and size, so there are some limitation involved - unless you are willing to make some serious visual compromises.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-12-2001, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Kajo Send a message via AIM to Kajo Send a message via Yahoo to Kajo
Not Ranked     
Default kewl

Where can i find some pictures of the JBL cars? Do they have a website?

Thanks
Kajo out-
Old 08-12-2001, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     
Cool

http://www.jblmotor.com
Old 08-12-2001, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kajo,

Bob Putnam is with that "other company" that also makes a fantastic Cobra replica. He's too much of a gentleman to blow his own horn so I'll toot it for him. ERA is one of the top manufacturers of replicas anywhere. You need to check them out as well.

Don't be too concerned about driving a car with sixties technology. Most of these replicas will out handle anything Detroit builds. You'd be hard pressed to find a Cobra replica that didn't have modern suspension componants.

While many replicas have the traditional carburated motors (both big and small block) quite a few guys run modern fuel injected engines. And yes, there is a wheel standing Cobra out there. I've seen it pop two foot wheelies on the drag strip. However, the car is set up with skinny front wheels, drag shocks and he's running a supercharger with a lot of boost in order to get the front end off the ground. You wouldn't want to drive a car with this set-up on the street.

There are about a dozen good, reputable manufactures of Cobra replicas. Start reading this forum, www.cobracountry.com and www.cobraforum.com. as well. In no time you'll be armed with enough knowledge to make an informed decision about which manufacturer to go with.

Good luck and welcome to the fray!

Cheers
Jim
Old 08-12-2001, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sweet! thanks for the wonderful post, I have been surfing around, checking out the forums, and just generally getting some hopefully good info.

This play definately looks like a damn good resource though and Ill check back/post often!

Thanks for the wonderful advice guys
Kajo out-
Old 08-12-2001, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post Kt Choice

Hello Kajo.

Ditto to the above.
Your right about the "street racer", this car is not meant to be a primary means of transportation. The suspension systems offered by most of the kit car manufactures are far superior to most production cars. I believe JBL has there own custom designed suspension, whereas other manufacturers give you a choice of suspensions like a Corvette, Ford or Jag. Other kits like Unique use anywhere from stock Jaguar IRS to highly modified Jaguar IRS. Check out this suspension offered by Accurate Machine Products
As noted by Jim Colman, you need to check out www.cobracountry.com and click on the "manufacturers" link.
Consider buying the latest copy of the "Cobra Buyers Guide" (also found at www.cobracountry.com) It's a good resource to have.
Even my Cobra, which is a moderately priced kit, uses a modified Ford 9" rear with a solid 4-link design. Yes, I also have 4 wheel disk brakes. You will have no problem finding the suspension and braking design you want.
If building a car is not your forte, there are many pre-owned, pre-built Cobras for sale. Look for the link at the cobracountry site and check out House of Cobras. If you want the Ultimate in (better than) reproduction all the way down to a genuine all aluminum body, you've got to check out Kirkham Motorsports.
You are undoubtedly on the right track looking at the Cobra, you will not only own a car that will have 99% of other rides eating your dust, but you will own a car that will unquestionably attract attention wherever you drive!
Please do not hesitate to post if you have any questions. I have found this forum extremely helpful and informative.
Good Luck

Last edited by Campy; 08-12-2001 at 07:20 PM..
Old 08-12-2001, 08:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Hi Kajo,

I recommend that you follow the advice given here by the members. They are your best source of information, period.

Now, you really should look at the ERA. Bob was most kind to call the JBL the most modern, but they (ERA) build the best fiberglas replica out there in my opinion.

(Of course there is the Kirkham with the alloy body and the ever popular CSX series, but these cars are in a political realm of their own.)

JBL does not build a replica. It is a completely different design and all components are specific and 90% built in house. It is not for everyone and does not pretend to be a Cobra. It is a modern chassis and suspension design (read system) and should not be compared to the folks who build proper replicas of the Cobra.

Once again, I would rate ERA , Superformance, Unique, as the best of show and rest follow from there. (Once again reference Kirkham and CSX as a seperate group)

Good luck in your quest for the car that fits your needs.

Richard Hudgins
Old 08-12-2001, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

The original cobras had a version of the Jaguar suspension and it was all independent suspension with disc brakes at all four corners. The Cobras in the upper class (ERA, Unique, Everette Morrison, Midstates)have this type of suspension with modifications to make it more modern. There are several that use a T-Bird Super Coupe rear with mustang type front suspension(Optional Factory Five and Superformance are a couple). Then there is the Corvette suspension from the C4 Vette, you will find this on Hunters and Everette Morrison. The least expensive suspension is the live axle with a mustang II front suspension and this is found on a lot of Cobra Replicas. The live axle is not as desirable because most cobras have a driveshaft of 12" or less and of course with light car a independent suspension rides better. In a drag race a live axle is better because it is stronger and it keeps the tires perpendicular to the road.

The Jag suspension is very good, original and expensive. The T-bird IRS is modern but it is not as strong because it uses CV joints. The Vette suspension to me is the best because it is from a proven performance car and it is all aluminum. The live axle is economical but limited in performance except in a straight line.

If you want a race car with a cobra body then look at JBL but it is a race car with race car cost.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

aumoore said:

"If you want a race car with a cobra body then look at JBL but it is a race car with race car cost."

Quite true. But isn't the point of the Cobra just what you stated?

A race car? Usable on the street? Fun? Makes everyone look?

Thats the point after all, isn't it.

Richard Hudgins
Old 08-13-2001, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Richard
A cobra is about as close as most of us will come to driving a race car on the street and yours has a lot of neet features like adjustable suspension.

Some Cobras are for show, some for go, but all for fun!