SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2001, 07:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Mounting tires on Trigos?

Okay, guys, I couldn't find the info in a search, so what should I be aware/cautious of, and what to look or watch for when having tires mounted on my Trigos @ the tire store...besides ham-handed tire jockeys. What about balancing advice? TIA
Old 08-15-2001, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While I thought it would be one of the most rewarding experiences of the bulid, mounting the tires on the wheels was actually the worst part so far. I had a set of 315/35/17s and 275/40/17s mounted on a new set of compomotive HBs about 6 months ago. First, it was a challenge to just find a place that could mount the tires. I don't think you will have this problem though, since your Trigos are (I assume) 15". In the end I ended up taking them to the local Porsche dealership, as I figured this was my best bet due to the high dollar 17 and 18" wheels/tires they mount on the new cars. Plus they had what appeared to be very new equipment.

This is how it started out. I called the dealership and told them the size of the wheels (9.5 and 11” wide) and the size of the tires and asked if they could mount them. ‘No problem’ was the reply, as I recall. When I asked the price, I was told $16 per wheel, which seemed very reasonable to me. He also said I could wait on them. When I asked about the risk of scratching the new wheels, he replied, ‘we mount these size tires all the time and maybe one of out every 200 we do gets a small scratch’. After talking to several other local tire shops, I decided I had the most confidence in the Porsche dealership. So I made plans to take off work and take the wheels and tires by. The manager of the service department (the same I spoke with on the phone) came out and looked at the wheels and tires and said they should have no problem that I should drop them off in the shop and come back about 6 hours later. This is when I should have left. I told him that he said I could wait on them and he replied they are very busy and customers are not allowed in the shop area. Hmmm… This should have set off the alarm upstairs, but didn’t. What can I say, I really wanted to get the tires mounted. I asked to verify the price and he told me $33 a wheel to mount and balance the tires. I replied I was told $16 on the phone and his retort was that was the price for smaller tires and that he didn’t know they were this big’. In retrospect, I really should have left at this point. I told him I didn’t need the balancing as I just wanted to mount the tires to check for clearance problems. After wasting 30 minutes convincing him he should not perform the balancing and that the car was a ’97 mustang cobra (if it’s not in their computer, they can’t work on it), I begrudgingly left my wheels and tires, having agreed on a price of $26 per tire to mount the tires only; no balancing.

My father got a call about 5:30 that afternoon that the tires were ready and since I was at work, he went by the pick them up for me. By the time he got there it was pretty dark out and he loaded them. When I got home my dad looked quite depressed and said I needed to take a look at the wheels. At this point I felt like complete $%^&. I forgot to mention that I bought these wheels and tires for my father for Christmas. When I looked at them it turned out all four of the tires were mounted with the yellow dots NOT opposite the valve stems (which I’m sure they did on purpose so they have to be dismounted, rotated and remounted), and more importantly, all four wheels had several scratches on them. So much for the ‘one out of 200 might get a small scratch on them’. At this point I was enraged.

After cooling down for a few hours, I took out the Mothers and buffed some of the scratches out to the point that you could only notice them if you really looked for them. So I don’t mean to scare you by telling you this story; I only wanted to tell you that if for any reason you feel that the place doing the mounting is not on the up and up, take your wheels and tires elsewhere!!!

Mike
Old 08-15-2001, 11:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Mike,
Your story is appreciated, and exactly what I'm concerned about. I'm surprised you got that treatment at a Porsche dealership...you'd think they'd be classier than that.
My Trigos are in fact 15", so it hopefully won't be a problem, but it seems I read somewhere there are a couple of things to watch for with both the mounting and the balancing. Sorry 'bout your experience, but thanks for info.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ham-handed tire jockeys?
Old 08-15-2001, 01:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

I had a problem with out of balance front tires on the Trigos. It was fixed by using plenty of grease while remounting and then over inflating to 50lbs. to seal them and then bring them down to normal pressure.
Old 08-15-2001, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have 17 inch PS Engineering knock offs and the local Big O Tire store did a great job on them . They have been doing all my race car wheels for years at $15 per with balance. They have a relatively new machine that has a plastic edge for rolling the bead over the wheel. It never actually touches the wheel as it spins. A good mounter will also make sure to use a plastic coated pry bar to help and be careful to not hit the visible side of the wheel with that. As for balancing, tape weights to the inside are the way to go for looks, although you may not get perfect balance since the weights don't go on the outer edge where they really should be. It's important that the screw on lock on the balance machine be clean so it doesn't mark the visible side of the wheels either. i've had probably 50 sets of tires mounted over the last few years with absolutely no problems on my Vette race wheels or the Cobra knock offs.

Mike Eckhaus
Old 08-16-2001, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Mike,

Next time I have to have my tires remounted, I'm shipping them to you so you can have Big O Tire do the work for me !

Mike