SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default "" A new approach to header collector couplings "

From Hemmings.com e weekly

" A new approach to header collector couplings "

" Using tubular exhaust headers in place of factory cast-iron exhaust manifolds is a hot rodding practice that traces back to the earliest hop-up efforts, but contemporary header designs haven’t changed dramatically since the muscle-car era of the 1960s. Many still use flat-stock plates cut to the proper dimensions for mounting flanges at the cylinder head and a three-bolt flange at the collector. The traditional three-bolt flange design was originally intended for racers who would regularly disconnect the exhaust systems that kept their cars street legal, once they reached the race track.

But today, thanks to advancements in performance exhaust technology, running “uncorked” often doesn’t yield significant benefits to street-legal racers; providing a positively sealed connection is generally more of a concern. There are alternatives to the traditional three-bolt flange, but a new, relatively unconventional approach has just been released by Juliano’s: the spin-on Pro Clamp.

The Pro Clamp system uses two 304 stainless-steel fittings that are welded in place, one to the header collector and one to the exhaust pipe; a threaded collar is then used to fasten the two, resulting in a gasket-free union that is said to be gas-tight. The Pro Clamp connectors are available in a variety of popular sizes, and can also be used elsewhere in the exhaust system. "

http://www.julianos.com/

Juliano's Hot Rod Parts
100 Windermere Ave
Ellington, CT 06029
860-872-1932

- Toll Free - Orders Desk 800-300-1932
Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

pics from their website on its design
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Thanks for posting the picture, looks like a good alternative to the 3 or 4 bolt flange. Wish the coupler had been available when I replaced the mufflers.

Regarding Juliano's, over the years I have purchased a variety of items from them , they are only a few miles from my house, quality products.

Last edited by Don; 03-12-2010 at 11:29 AM..
Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I used to own a supercharged t-bird SC in the 90's and the intercooler pipe connections are very similar to this design. Ford OEM design was awesome for fresh air they were lifetime joints, for exhaust temps here its a different game. If vibration isolated and supported with rubber hangers should be good enough but will depend on the application.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

That's also known as a compression fitting.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Here's the one I'm in the process of trying:

http://www.amazon.com/OBX-Stainless-...932877&sr=1-34

It's an OBX Stainless Steel 3.0" V-Band clamp and flange.

I do hope it works!

Tom

Last edited by Tom Wells; 03-19-2010 at 04:26 AM..
Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I do hope it works!

Tom[/quote]

Been working on my Westerbeke marine diesel engine since 1970
Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Yes, like Trueoo7 said, it's just a compression fitting just like the one under your sink in your kitchen.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Seems like a lot of work. Years ago when I worked in a muffler shop, we used to make a ball, weld it to the pipe, then take the mating pipe and form a flange (similar to a GM front converter pipe mount). We used 2 readily available 2 bolt GM style flanges and had a set-up that could be removed in minutes.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

When I rebuilt my engine 4 years ago we replaced the headers. I wanted a means of changing the muffled side pipes to unmuffled for the race strack. We welded the flanges to the header collector and to the side pipes prior to powdercoating. We also welded a bung for the H2O senser into the collector box so that changing the side pipes would not require messing with the H20 sensor.

Dick