SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default Reverse brake bleeders

Has anyone here ever used a reverse brake bleeder? I redid my brakes a few weeks ago and while they work quite well I think there is more there. I think one of these may help me find the more by removing any remaining any air bubbles. Your thoughts most welcome.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

Do you mean a pressure bleeder?

I never could get all the air out of my brake lines after installing them until I bought one of these - works great:

Motive Products Power Bleeder Kits

Pete
Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Gravity Bleed

The next time I bleed my brakes I am going to try the "gravity bleed" method. You know, you just open the bleeder screw and let it it dribble out slowly while you sit there on your stool and make sure the reservoir stays full? In almost four decades of brake and clutch bleeding I have never tried that, and it sounds too easy to actually work, but supposedly it does....
Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB View Post
Do you mean a pressure bleeder?

I never could get all the air out of my brake lines after installing them until I bought one of these - works great:

Motive Products Power Bleeder Kits

Pete
I use this one too. Just need to get the right adapter to fit on your cans. Also, if you have the old Girling tin cans, be careful about blowing them up with the pressure!! I changed over to the Kirkham reservoirs, so no worries there, and can change out my brake fluid in about 5-10 min with the car up on a Kwiklift.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The next time I bleed my brakes I am going to try the "gravity bleed" method. You know, you just open the bleeder screw and let it it dribble out slowly while you sit there on your stool and make sure the reservoir stays full? In almost four decades of brake and clutch bleeding I have never tried that, and it sounds too easy to actually work, but supposedly it does....
lol, that's all I've ever used but, a pressure system would be nice if I'm in a hurry.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

You can also make your own with an oil can and some hose. Just pump it up from the oil can through caliper. Worked great on my clutch.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

I know this sounds crazy, but I have had the most luck by buying a clear line long enough to go from the bleeder to the reservoir and clip it so it will not drop off. Then pump it until no air bubbles.

Problem I had with my Cobra was the rear Calipers were tilted so that the bleeder was not at the very top. I didn't get them perfect unil I unbolted them and set them at the right angle.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

This is the one I got after being extremely frustrated with trying to get the clutch bled. It makes really good sense to force the fluid up into the reservoir and push the bubbles up into the canister. bled whole system in 1/2 hour by myself, including the clutch.

http://www.brakebleeder.com
Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default gravity feed

I have bleed the front brakes on my car by:

1. Wilwood suggests tilting the caliper straight up. Of course, that means unbolting the front and loosening the back. (You could tilt the car straight up I suppose...)

2. take a ~6 foot length of plastic tube and clip it to the top of a step ladder. Obviously it has to fit the bleeder well, or this won't work and you have a mess.

3. SLOWLY pump the pedal and let the air bubble straight up and out the plastic tube...watch that the tube doesn't overflow. You can get out of the car to refill the reservoir, no need to close the valve, just let the air bubble up.

Don't really need to use a catch bottle if you watch the fluid level in the hose. The fluid tends to get pulled back into caliper when you release the pedal.

When the air stops coming out, tighten the bleeder then drain the tube into a container. 1 liter soda bottle works well.

Pretty hard to find anyone to help with bleeding and this works for me.
ERA 289 #2027
Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing 302 ford
Not Ranked     

reverse brake bleeder by Phoenix system Is by far the best way to bleed brakes your pushing air up and out of the master cyclinder which is the way air wants to go.
Fast and easy for one person and a lot less messy than my old pressure system, I can bleed my brakes on my car or bike in 10 mins by myself.
ED
Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Ditto on the Phoenix, works on very difficult to bleed systems.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Bleeding

I have used both vacuum at the bleeder screw and the Phoenix system to push the fluid backwards.

I like the Phoenix system but have issues with the bleed screw seeping fluid when you are working the system. Same with the vacuum approach, the bleed screw threads leak.

Either way, fix the leaking threads and either approach works well. I've seen some sites that offer a sealing compound to put on them but haven't tried that yet

Paul
Old 07-02-2010, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No matter what system you use, Russell Speed Bleeders are the key. Won't seep fluid past the threads, and the check ball closes as soon as the pressure or suction stops. Open once, bleed and close once.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

I bought one of the phoenix reverse bleeders. Works like AWESOME. I don't think it will work with the speed bleeders but then again you won't need them. Glad I bought it. Too bad it's so damn expensive.. LOL But I now have the hardest pedal I have ever had in the cobra. It's so good I want to go bleed the other 5 cars now.. hehehe
Old 07-03-2010, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

With speed bleeders I filled and bled for the the first time the brakes on my wifes 33 ford coupe in about 10 minutes---by myself---just got to keep master full of fluid and go at it
Old 07-03-2010, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
With speed bleeders I filled and bled for the the first time the brakes on my wifes 33 ford coupe in about 10 minutes---by myself---just got to keep master full of fluid and go at it
X2 using a vacuum bleeder. Takes longer to GET to the rears on the Jag than doing the whole job.