SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     
Question What's the Story on Oil Filter Magnets?

Do these things work? Has anyone used them? Are they yet another scam?

Bob
Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Drain plug magnets work.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

I've seen an oil filter that was cut open after running 3000 miles with a magnet. There was an accumulation of iron paste on the inside opposite the magnet. Now whether the filter would have caught all that w/o the magnet in place is up for debate. The good strong ones that summit sells aren't cheap, but at least you know they can't do any harm, which is more than you say for many engine "improvements".

Z.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 408w 500 h.p. 550 ft.lbs
Not Ranked     

I installed one 200mi. before my fall oil change. I left the magnet on after removing the filter,Cut the filter open & drained the can thoroughly.
Inside was a ghost like pattern of the magnet composed of ( I assume) iron particles that the filter had not removed.
I might note I have been using Fram HP1 filters & have switched to Wix with this change of oil & filter. I also have always had a magnetic drain plug.

Craig
Old 10-17-2010, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

My mom's 85 crown vic had a magnet in the oil pan. It came out the drain hole when I was changing the oil once when I was in high school. It was encased in plastic and looked like a suppository. I poked it back up the hole after cleaning it. Luckily, it didn't smell like a freshly ejected suppository.

My 78 Dodge Magnum had a big donut shaped magnet in the auto transmission pan. The pan even had a dimple for the magnet to hole itself in place.

And yes, both were bug furballs.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Bob, I put 4 rare earth magnets around my filter and I think they do work. I had used these on filters for my Mooney 201 when I had the plane and the oil analysis that came back (before & after) showed significant improvement.

Rare Earth magnets aren't cheap. Usually, you'll need pliers to pry them apart and if your finger gets pinched between them, you could get a blister. These are the ones that work...

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I understand they re-align the oil molecules for more slippery surface tension.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build, with help
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoop View Post
Rare Earth magnets aren't cheap. Usually, you'll need pliers to pry them apart and if your finger gets pinched between them, you could get a blister. These are the ones that work...
Try getting an old hard disk pull it to bits and you find a couple of small rare earth magnets inside.

Fisher & Paykel (whirlpool in USA) Smartdrive washing machines, Dishdraw dishwashers are another source
Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Speaker magnet on the bottom of the oil pan. Filter magnet does nothing to protect the oil pump.

Any shop that does car stereo installs will have a trash can full of OEM speakers.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not to highjack thread but Filtermag if you can afford is incredibly strong. The problem with magnets on the oil pan is you have to remove the pan to clean. The drain plug magnets are a joke.

The smaller the particle the stronger the magnet has to be. I beleive the filtermag has a heavy duty, the one that would fit an fl-1a that cost $69 and has an advertised 600lb pull!!!!!!!! Sheet it may collapse the oil filter, LOL!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Not to highjack thread but Filtermag if you can afford is incredibly strong. The problem with magnets on the oil pan is you have to remove the pan to clean. The drain plug magnets are a joke.

The smaller the particle the stronger the magnet has to be. I beleive the filtermag has a heavy duty, the one that would fit an fl-1a that cost $69 and has an advertised 600lb pull!!!!!!!! Sheet it may collapse the oil filter, LOL!!!
Which Filtermag part number fits the FL-1a/FL-1HP?

Edit: So it seems that either one of these should fit:

300lbs pulling power: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FTM-SS375/ ($46)
600lbs pulling power: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FTM-RA365/ ($69)

So if you did it, does the extra 300lbs really make a difference on the heavy duty version or is the standard 300lbs version more than enough? For me it's less the extra $23 than it is the red color of the heavy duty version vs the black version of the standard version. I'm not a big fan of anything red or colored in my engine compartment.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)

Last edited by dcdoug; 10-27-2010 at 06:45 PM..
Old 10-27-2010, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Which Filtermag part number fits the FL-1a/FL-1HP?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FTM-RA365/

Z.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As Seen On The Internet:

A few filter manufacturers are extolling the virtue of placing magnets in the filters to trap metal particles. They claim that magnetic forces stabilize the oil molecules; that the longer the magnetic field is in place the greater the benefit; that fuel mileage is increased; oil consumption and emissions are decreased; and engine power is increased. None of these claims are true and several are impossible.

Magnets do remove some sub-micron sized iron particles that are there as catalysts to aid combustion and also attract small ferrous metal particles that might be inside the engine oil galleries, but neither of these account for much effect in the real world. The bulk of the metallic particles floating around in an engine are from bearing materials and these aren't ferrous. Magnets won't "see" them.