SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     
Default Air Compressor Suggestions?

I am looking for suggestions for a at home in garage air compress that can handle all power tools and an HVLP spray gun. I want something that will run off 120v, take up little space and be as quiet as possible for around $300. I have found a few, but before pulling the trigger I would like to her some suggestions. Of course, at this price level and being 120v, I know these are not going to be industrial unit.

Thank you for your suggestions...
Old 11-27-2010, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I highly advise you to try your local craigslist for a unit, you will get far more for your money. I got an 85 gal, 7.5 hp 220V Campbell Hausfield unit like new for 250.00 recently.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I would think the one thing that you are looking for is one to put out at least 125PSI continually. You might also look into how large of tank you could put into the space where you will house it. I would get the largest holding tank that you could fit.

FYI, mine is a 220 volt, 6 HP, 60 gallon and It will not keep up with a good air sander for longer than about 10 min.

JMO

Last edited by tcrist; 11-27-2010 at 05:06 PM..
Old 11-27-2010, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

I really don't think what you say you want is going to meet your needs. I have a five HP, 60 gal. 220V, 11 cfm compressor that meets my needs, and I do run out of air from time to time. Over the years I have had smaller ones but they just don't cut it. If you just do occasional work then maybe, but not for most HVLP guns. HVLP guns have various cfm requirements. Most, even the cheap ones reguire more than 10 cfm.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

Wbulk,

You are right, the correct compressor I need is roughly $800 - I guess it is on to Craig list.

Thank for the comments.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Careful

The largest compressor motor you can run from 110v is 2HP (That is true 2hp not the ones that cheat on ratings)

A 2hp compressor will produce about 8cfm at 100-125 psi. That will power smaller air tools and a small detail HVLP gun. But it will run out of air if you try to use a sand blast cabinet, large HVLP gun or typical body tools/sanders.

Be careful what you are buying. The air compressor industry is full of snake oil. If you buy too small a compressor, it will run too much, overheat and die an early death.

The laws of physics dictate how much horsepower you can get out of a 110v socket. Don't let some slick salesman or website convince you otherwise

Paul
Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Wbulk,

You are right, the correct compressor I need is roughly $800 - I guess it is on to Craig list.

Thank for the comments.
You can't have too much air. If you over work it , it will be pumping water in no time. Unless you go with a good quality drier you could still have problems. As soon as the warm air from the over heated pump hits the cold tank you get instant condensation. Bigger is better. Go for 150-175 psi minimum and regulate down to what ever pressure you need. A 125 psi compressor will always be playing catch up.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2765 Roush 427(POS) with cruise.
Not Ranked     

And there's no such animal as a quiet air compressor! 209
Old 11-27-2010, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209 View Post
And there's no such animal as a quiet air compressor!
You're incorrect - We supply a number of different quiet compressors, from 5hp to 25 hp. They all have one thing in common - $$$$$$

Champion Pneumatic makes commercial units. The Evolution and Hydrovane units both operate in the 65 dbA range.

If you're interested in one for your shop, you're wife will never know it's running - but the jewelry you'll have to buy to make things even will be very big.

Paul
Old 11-27-2010, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Call Campbell Hausfield . I got a reconditioned unit from them with a new compressor warranty a lot cheaper than the Chinese crap that Home Depot and Lowes has . Best part is that their units are made in America . I did have to go to the trucking company`s location and pick it up ... not a big deal .
Old 11-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I got a 110 volt from Sears for ONE reason.... it had a really quiet rating. I've had it with compressor noise and this one works fine for the limited use it gets in my garage.

Easy to roll into my Van truck and take it to the track as well. You can make a strong case for smaller is better depending on your needs.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

Get the most compressor your budget will allow. Go for a known name brand. Unfortunately most of the pumps are made overseas now. Don't buy oil-less, they are noisy and won't last. I found a Ingersol-Rand 80 gal. 7.5 HP 2 stage on my local craigslist for $900 almost new. I don't regret it one moment. It replaced my Sears 4Hp 30gal. single stage compressor that I've had about 12 years and still runs like a champ. Drain the tank regularly to keep water out and change oil regularly. Proper maintenance will make a compressor last a long time.