SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2001, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default Hydralic throw out

I have a hydralic throwout. The master is a Tilton cylinder. The throw is just bearly enough to release the clutch with the slitest free travel. What has anyone done to get more travel from the slave cylinder?What are some options?
Old 09-06-2001, 07:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Hi Mike,

First you need to check the clearences on the internal slave to clutch to insure that the settings are per the installation instructions. If this is good then you need to go up one size on your master cylinder.

IE: if you now have a 5/8 go to a 3/4. this should give you the displacement that you need in the slave unit.

Of course the best thing to do is calculate the displacement required and put the master cylinder that gives you exactly what you need.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hudgins

Last edited by Richard Hudgins; 09-06-2001 at 10:19 PM..
Old 09-07-2001, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry to mis lead you .I was talking about an external slave cylinder with a push rod and arm. Apparently the two cylinders are so closely matched I have bearly enough travel to get the job done and with baerly enough free travel to ensure that the throw out bearing is clear of forks. I would perfer to have some more clearance and clutch release.
Old 09-07-2001, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Michael,

The same thing applies with external or internal units.

To get more displacement of the slave unit for a given pedal ratio, you need to increase the master cylinder size.

Richard Hudgins
Old 09-07-2001, 11:57 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

Michael,

Before changing anything, have someone depress the clutch pedal while you measure the "stroke" at the slave cylinder.
It may be that your already moving the slave cylinders piston as far as it will travel, in which case a larger master will be of no help.
I had a similiar problem and had to fabricate a "lever" that gave me some mechanical advantage. The Wilwood slave cylinder that I'm using would only supply a wee bit over one inch of travel, and I needed a good inch and a quarter to give me complete disengagement.
FWIW, the Wilwood slave is .75 and I'm using a Wilwood master of .75. If you go the way of a lever to give you some additional travel, expect a little harder push on the pedal....... no free lunch

- Jim -
Old 09-07-2001, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I received some volums today for Tilton cylinders 7/8"=.601 cuin 15/16' =.689 cuin and 1" = .785 cuin. I ordered the 1".Ill adjust for addiquit free travel and watch for complete release. May have to instal a pedal stop.Do you think I went too big?
Old 09-08-2001, 05:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Michael,

Everything depends on the pedal ratio, the size of your slave, and the particular clutch cover. If your current master is (marginally) releasing your clutch, I would only increase to the next size up - unless you're on a rehab program to develop your left thigh.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-11-2001, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... and I would use a pedal stop, unless tilton says no.

dominik