SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 02-06-2011, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Adaptor for a Hurst shift lever to the toploader...

Is there an adaptor availible that connects the Hurst shift lever to the top loader? And if so where to locate one. Currently my shift lever bolts down from the top and I know the Hurst levers bolt on from the side. I'm looking to change shift levers and trying to avoid any cutting and welding to make it work. An adaptor would be perfect.

Thanks, John
Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post
Is there an adaptor availible that connects the Hurst shift lever to the top loader? And if so where to locate one. Currently my shift lever bolts down from the top and I know the Hurst levers bolt on from the side. I'm looking to change shift levers and trying to avoid any cutting and welding to make it work. An adaptor would be perfect.

Thanks, John
Do you currently have a Ford-style shift handle and you instead want to install a Hurst handle? The Hurst conversion I have from ERA has a Ford handle that bolts down to an ERA-modified Hurst shifter lever in the body. That sounds like what you have now. You would basically have to order a new, stock shift lever from Hurst and dissassemble the shifter and install it and bolt your new handle on.

That's if I understand your question correctly.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Sure, use the correct Hurst shift lever. But if you don't have the correct one, cutting and welding isn't a big deal, you can't see the work you did under the boot anyway.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cutting/welding is the accepted method for installing the typical Hurst shifter HANDLE on a TKO.

When done correctly it bolts right on and looks terrific!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know if I made my question clear enough. I currently have the Ford Mustang shifter with the reverse lockout bar. It is all one piece that bolts to the toploader linkage with 2 bolts that drop in from the top below the shifter boot. The shifter is tall and angles towards my passenger seat slightly and with the reverse lockout bar I can't really get the rubber shifter boot over it without stressing the rubber so much it starts to tear within a short time. Also there is no way to slide it over the bottom of the shifter handle. I would also like a shorter shifter handle that doesnt angle off towards my passenger and one without the reverse lockout bar. I have seen some from Hurst that look like they would do the job nicely but they mount to the linkage from the side. Without me having to change my linkage I was wondering if someone has an adaptor that would just make this a bolt on project. I am aware that welding is an option but I would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The problem with NOT cutting/welding the shifter is that it would be to long and not correctly angled. Thus, I doubt anybody makes an adapater for the stock original style Hurst shifter. With an adapter, which I've never heard of, I don't see how that would rectify the basic problem of the shifter being to long and angled weird?

Of course everyone with a T handle Hurst shifter has the boot installation problem. It CAN be installed, with care, so the boot is not damaged. Some folks have opted for a custom boot and did away with the rubber one. I had a custom boot made for my car at an upholstery shop, looks real nice.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Sounds like I either canobolize my shifter and weld the parts together or develope my own adaptor. Where is the easy button?

John
Old 02-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Wish I knew what you had John. I could design/fab something up without welding.

I have a different shifter setup completely.

Sorry Bud,
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry to my rescue. I will get some pictures for you to see and you can tell me what you think. We'll go from there.
Thanks,
John
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Ok, Do you still have my e-mail address.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry I do have your email address. I will contact you when I get my info together.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Please post the pics here, as I'd like to see how this works, too.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

One of the fellows that deal with Toploaders exclusively may have an answer for you also, someone like Dan Williams or Toploader Heaven???

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

Call Bill Heeley, Ford shifter expert in Olney Md. 301 774-6710. He can make any Ford shifter/mod you need. I met him at a SAAC convention, and have bought from him, he is great to work with. Good luck
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...you can BUY one from Finish Line, they are readily available, by the way.

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...69fdcl5694bop6

$135.00

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-08-2011 at 12:05 PM..
Old 02-08-2011, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Check with Dan Williams. I bought my Hurst Competition plus shifter from him. There is an adapter bolted to the shifter which allows the stock handle to be bolted to the shifter. Maybe you can buy the adapter. It's a cast part.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

I had the same question a long time ago.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also, look up the post on "Flat Chrome Hurst Shifter Replacement" thread on this forum which explains exactly what I did with my toploader. Regarding tearing the rubber boot to get it off, just unscrew the existing shifter knob and release the spring inside the shifter and remove the non-working reverse lock out wings. Very easy. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey guys,
Thank you for all the info. That is very helpful. I think what I am going to do is get a local welder to fabricate a bracket that I can use to attach the Hurst stick to and still be able to remove it. It shouldn't be all that dificult. This forum has helped me once again.

Pdub,
I will post pics when I get all parts I need together.

John
Old 02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'd like to see a follow up to this John. I to have the stock Hurst shifter, from my original top loader. I never considered using an adaptor because it looked like it would be to long, wrong angle and all that. But,,, maybe you can pull this off and address those issues? I'd sure like to see the final results, I might follow your lead.
Ernie
Old 02-08-2011, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is my problem. Shifter handle is offset in the 4:00 position when in neutral and it's too tall.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...479_Large_.JPG

I need to convert my Ford style mounting plate to an adaptor for the Hurst style mounting design.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...481_Large_.JPG

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...482_Large_.JPG

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...-5380015_w.jpg

These pictures are small for some reason, larger ones are availible in my gallery.

John