SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-12-2001, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     
Default Dove heads

I am considering a set of "dove?" heads. I have been told that they are much better performing heads when compared to the standard 429 heads. What makes them better. I know that the 429 is VERY heavy, will these heads help any? Will I need a special intake to use them?

Bran
Old 09-12-2001, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 429/460 DOVE-C heads

Bran,
The "DOVE" refers to the Ford part number on the heads. The DOVE-C 429/460 heads are the same as any other stock 460 head with two exceptions: they have smaller 75cc combustion chambers which helps generate compression, and they come with screw-in rocker studs-although they are not for adjustable rockers. Other than that, they have NO performance value over another set of iron 460 heads-just more compression. They use standard intake manifolds.

Now there are 429CJ/SCJ heads with larger intake and exhaust ports, and 460 Police heads with slightly larger ports. They have different part numbers, and are easy to spot when you have seen the stock small port heads.

The stock 460 heads can be made to perform quite well with a good valve job and some port work. Often, the smaller ports will work better on the street on standard sized motors, especially at our altitude. There are even special roller rockers that can be fitted to the later "bolt-down" style heads without modification.

If you are looking to step up to an aluminum head, there are a number of options, each with different attributes. Edelbrock makes a nice street 460 head for milder engines. SVO has an aluminum CJ head which works pretty well for the medium to high performance engines. But, a significantly better choice is the Blue Thunder 460 head, as it performs better and is better made, for almost the same money as the SVO heads.

If you are not sure what you want, and would like to try and get some comparisons between heads, we are currently working on a couple of 460's. We have stock Ford, Edelbrock, and Blue Thunder heads in the shop right now that you could take a look at.

Let me know if I can help you out with some questions.
Rob
303-762-8298
Old 09-13-2001, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of an A&C
Not Ranked     

Bran, You could also have been referrign to the following high performance FE manufacturer:

I have seen and HEARD an all aluminum Dove motor. VERY nice!

Dove Manufacturing
27114 Royalton Rd
Columbia Station, OH 44028-9048
Phone: (440) 236-5139
Old 09-14-2001, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

Wadesdad,
If that's the case, then my engine build just made a major turn for the better. have you heard wether these heads will work on a standard 429/460 block? Do you know of any distinguishing marks that might help me tell one way or the other?

Bran
Old 09-14-2001, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Dove manufacturing in Ohio only makes cylinder heads for FE motors, not 429/460's. They got their name from the founder, Jim Dove. This is not really related to the original question.

This is not to be confused with the factory ford DOVE heads, which broken down, D stands for 1970's, O is the year. You guys are getting these mixed up. C stands for 1960's, so a part that is C5AE is a 1965 part.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 11-22-2001, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default heads

the 68 thunder jet head(first year of 429) that was sold in the t-birds came with 11-1 comp with full adjustable rockers is a head that is very useable at the higher eleavations with great success, i have run them for years in a 1-ton in a very rough service. \