SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - 5.0 Coyote
Not Ranked     
Default Stainless Steel Hardware

I was planning on changing all of my hardware to stainless and would like to know if anyone has any experience with using stainless in an automotive application.

I purchased a few and am now realizing that they are not as strong as I originally thought. They seem to be around a grade 5 bolt.

I'm worried they won't be strong enough to use on suspension, steering, and brake components. Any ideas?

Last edited by computerworks; 07-01-2011 at 03:35 PM..
Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

If you want stainless in high stress areas, you should check out ARP's product line. Totally Stainless in PA is a good source to get stainless hardware from - including ARP grade 8 products: Totally Stainless
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #539/427 Holman Moody #7HM20 from 1967
Not Ranked     

All I us is Stainless got to Diamond Enginering they hafe iar craft grade 1
Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #539/427 Holman Moody #7HM20 from 1967
Not Ranked     

Sorry guys somehow the last post I hit the wrong key while typng and it went.

OK got to Diamond Engineering in Holly Hill FL just up the road from Daytona. They have all the polished 12 point, rolled threads 180,000 psi aircraft grade fasteners.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Stainless has a tendency to gall threads, use a little anti seize on them.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Definitely use the anti seize! I built an Outlaw Performance '41 Willys kit about 15 years ago and it used ss for all the body mounts. It galls easily, but anti seize eliminates the problem and the 5/16 bolts they used were plenty strong for the purpose. If you are using it for suspension or other stressed, critical applications, make sure you get the right bolt for the application.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 07-02-2011, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Stainless steel is the way to go without worries. I change any bolt in my car it will certainly get SS. I just finished an 11 year full off frame restoration of a 1983 Jeep CJ-7 all bolts are stainless steel this is worry free. I think I spent more money in stainless steel that I spent in parts.
Can't go wrong.
Lou
Old 07-02-2011, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

I try to use Stainless Steel hardware wherever possible. I buy my SS bolts, nuts, washers & industrial supplies from McMaster Carr. This company has about the BEST service I've ever encountered with any business. I've used them for 30 years.

Same day delivery too which is great!!! I'm located about 15 miles from their Elmhurst, Illinois warehouse, so that helps. They also have other distribution centers across the country that should be able to service your needs.

Keep shining!

Arthur

BTW, you can get Anti-Seize from them too.

Last edited by lal Naja; 07-02-2011 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: more info.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would not use regular stainless bolts you buy from the hardware store. As you found out, they are rather soft. If you can gall the threads, they are probably too soft to use.

A lot depends on how the brackets etc are mounted. If the bolts are being used to simply hold something in location, they may not be bad. If there is some type of stress on them, it would be another issue altogether. I sheared them on my loser control arms in the front. The lower control arm bracket is mounted to the frame at an angle. After hammering on the car for quite some time, they sheared the bolts. These were regular old stainless bolts. Get grade 8 at least.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again everyone.

I am now looking at TotallyStainless and DiamondEngineering. I have to wait until Tuesday to call them because I need six M14 bolts for the rear knuckles and neither one lists that size in their catalog, may have to be custom made.

It appears that TotallyStainless' lineup is just ARP while DiamondEngineering makes their bolts in-house. For the non-critical SS bolts I'll probably buy them from BoltDepot since their pricing is very reasonable.

One question, is it possible to drill these 12 point bolts/nuts for safety wire? Do you think a jig like this one with a cobalt bit would work?