SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2001, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Default Gel Cell or Lead Acid Battery?

Battery technology has advanced alot over the years however most cars still utilize the standard Lead Acid battery in one form or another. Reletively new on the scene is the Optima and similarly designed batteries. There is another battery utilized in many racing applications that is consideably smaller and often used in formula cars and perhaps aircraft as well. There is a photo of one of these in the Sales Pamphlet for the current CSX cars produced by Shelby and on the website sponsered by XK's Unlimited (WWW.COBRASBYXKS.COM). It appears to be 4"- 5" wide, about 6" tall, and about 10"- 11" long. The photo shows it mounted behind the passenger seat.
Has anyone used one of these batteries in their Cobra. The price is considerably higher than a common lead acid battery but the benefits including weight, size, and the fact that it is sealed may be benificial. What are your experiences??????
Thanks for your information..........

Rick
Old 10-02-2001, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why spend the extra money that is not going to give you any more performance if you stay right side up you would not have to worry about any acid flowing around.I bought a 50 dollar battery at auto zone and it works great no leaks and I run the car hard. Just my 2cents.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Hi Rick, I have a Optima mounted in the trunk of my cobra. I went with a optima so I would not need to vent it. The extra $$ to me was nice not to worry about any acid that may seep in my car later ! Scott
Old 10-02-2001, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick if you have a nice little compartment for the battery the acid one will work fine my car has a fiberglass storage spot in the trunk with one small hole drilled in the bottom to drain any spillage.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Battery weight

One of the main benifts of the smaller battery would be the anticipated weight savings. I have used up this point a high grade lead acid battery in the RR fender. Saving over 10-15 lbs certainly appeals to me. The smaller size would open up some options regarding where it could be mounted for better weight distribution. Currently it's mounted on a battery tray made of plastic. There is a hole in the bottom of the tray and in the fiberglass that the tray sets on. Any spillage in theory goes out the bottom but it has over time attacked some of the fiberglass although it is not serious. at this time and has been repaired. The battery of which I speak could be mounted on its side if necessary. I guess my concerns are related more to durability in a street car that may have been experienced by some of you.

Just wondering..........Rick
Old 10-03-2001, 06:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Gel Cell! Less weight, more power, longer warranty, no sulphuric acid fumes and no acid spillage to eat away your detailed and spotless trunk! Can be mounted in any fashion--upside down if that's what floats your boat, or sideways if you have a space problem. Buy the Optima (I did) , made by Interstate and warrantied nationwide @ any Interstate dealer.
Old 10-07-2001, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post Splitting hairs

My dimes worth.
You can save a pound or two here or there, but you know what?, it don't mean squat unless you're into serious racing. Even then it probably wouldn't make a hill-of-beans difference. The bottom line is you have to make your choice based on your needs. The truth is most Cobra owners do not race their cars to an extent that would warrant such measures.
I have seen and read about so many Cobra owners spending inordinate sums of money for newfangled hokey products that do no more than some good old fashioned tried and true products.
That's not to say that some of the modern stuff actually is worth the inflated price we're willing to pay.

Modern day lead-acid batteries are sufficiently sealed and when enclosed in an appropriate container, will afford years of dependable service.

You make the choice and spend your money as you see fit.