SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2001, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Overheating 5.0

Well it's part snake!!! I have a 91 5.0 5 speed Mustang GT in the family that has approx 65-70k on it in pretty good shape. Recently a problem has reared its head. It has a Ford Motorsport
aluminum radiator that has just been rodded out (only lower tubes needed any help) good compression, no oil being burned, and a new Edlebrock water pump. It overheats while idling with the a/c on. If you are in town traffic or stop and go for over 10 minutes it goes past 220 degrees. The perplexing thing is that once you are at speed normal temp is maintained. The fan clutch is fresh as is the fan itself. Any Ford techs out there? My sons pulling his hair out! Thanks

Rick

Last edited by Rick Parker; 10-16-2001 at 09:30 PM..
Old 10-17-2001, 02:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Samson
Not Ranked     

Rick,
Sounds like when the radiator was reinstalled, you (or someone) installed the fan with the +ve and -ve reversed. This would mean that the fan is spinning in the wrong direction.
Hope I'm right, let me know.
Old 10-17-2001, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Project "X" underway....twin turbo V6, AWD...
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Rick,
You may want to verify that temp. with something other than the factory gauge, if you haven't already. Those factory gauges, and sending units, are usually not very accurate.

If in fact things are as you say, the condition you describe sounds like either a capacity problem, or a fan problem. You say the fan clutch is "fresh", meaning new? Doesn't garantee a good part. Double check that. Try heating it up manually to make sure it locks. Also, is there a possibility you have an air pocket in the system? If you recently drained and filled the system, are you certain the correct amount went back in? Beyond this, not sure what else it could be in a basically stock vehicle. I've had many 5.0 Mustangs through the years, never experienced any overheating problems if everything was in order.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 10-18-2001, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to mustang man
Not Ranked     

I hate to bring up something as basic as checking the thermostat. It's easy enough to check to see if it is opening properly and if nothing else they are cheap to replace and yet somehow they often go bad.
Old 10-21-2001, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default cool off

If the temp drops down to normal when the vehicle is moving, then it is an airflow problem. The fan's age has no bearing on its functional ability.How well does the shroud fit the radiator and fan combo? Don't think that more coolant in the ratio will help either. Water cools better than antifreeze. Is the water pump the correct rotation? They come in standard ratation(clockwise) and reverse rotation for serpentine setups.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Samson
Not Ranked     
Default water pump

Could it be that a larger diameter pulley than the standard one is driving the water pump ?