SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2001, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question 460/Superformance combo

Question for the Superformance owners who are running 460's............I got a good deal on a 460 about a year ago and have decided to go with the Superformance cobra (not enough time to build a kit). My motor is at the shop now and being overhauled/modified (nothing special just a cam, carb, Intake manifold, air cleaner, valve covers, oil pan, bore & balance). My question is the motor looks pretty deep and the the engine compartment looks tight vertically, do I need to be concerned about clearance under the hood and if so, what valve covers, carb/intake manifold & oil pan works?
Old 11-13-2001, 06:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

Don, your SPF dealer or their recommended engine install guys should be able to help you out. SPF also has an INSTALLATION Video VHS for 'do it yourselfers' with many outstanding tips/advice/guidance for SPF installs . It appears from your note that you plan on doing the install yourself. I have a SB so can't help you out re your question as I have plenty of underhood room . I have seen many a 460 equipped SPF with different / varied carbs, air cleaners and manifolds. Some BB owners mention issues with hood scoop clearance depending on carb/ cleaner/ manifold choices so they might respond here re your question. I have seen 514s fill the engine bay and still have clearance on all sides and underhood. so, it has been done by many, try your SPF dealer / their installer first is my recommendation and get their 'install' video if you are doing it yourself. bill.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Thanks

Bill,

Thanks for the info. I've managed to get my SPF Dealer & Engine Builder together on this and it seems that all is well. Guess I was getting nervous about coordinating the effort. The builder is going to come down and break in the motor and the dealer and I will be installing the motor. Thanks again !

Don,
Old 11-20-2001, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium SPF, 521 CID Gessford.
Not Ranked     

If you want a large air cleaner (as not to limit CFM and ultimately HP) you need to go with a low, low profile intake, like a Torker II 460.

Otherwise, you will need to run a more restrictive 9" element.

The motor will fit fine otherwise.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance '533'
Not Ranked     

Its a little tight changing plugs, but worth the effort
Old 11-24-2001, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Chad & Cdog,

Thanks for the reply. I just found out that my 71' 460 is in good condition and will have it re-built. Not having been down this road, and since I don't have surplus $$$$, I just want to be sure I'm just buying things once. I appreciate your replies & hope to be cruising in my cobra this spring (Wife willing that is).

Happy Holidays!

Don