SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2001, 06:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Holman Moody GT-40 Mk II

Does anyone have any information or impressions on the Holman Moody GT-40 MkII? I looked at the web site (www.holmanmoody.com) and would appear to be a top-notch replica. How about impressions of owners and of course - how much are they asking?

With H-M's reputation and history - I would expect a remarkable car? Any info would be appreciated.

Keith
Old 12-18-2001, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
I believe a complete car is around $180K. Your best bet is to talk with the guys at GT40s.com
Old 12-18-2001, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     

Sweet car. It is as close to an exact copy as you can get today. I think the cost of a turn key are ~$750k. A LITTLE too rich for my blood.

Have seen Lee Holman rip it up in one of these at SAAC events over the last several years.

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 12-18-2001, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
G Gibbs - are they really going for that much?? You are correct about them being as close to the real thing. Their machinists and fabricators worked on the originals. Bottom line is, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Keith -
Quote:
Keith - If you're seriously looking to build/own a GT40, join the GT40s.com forum. There are a lot of guys building their own, or buying complpete cars from Roaring Forties, Sabre, DRB, ERA CAV, etc. Be prepared to spend at least $60K though
Old 12-18-2001, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     

The $750k I heard floating around several years ago was just when he had completed one car, etc. I really am not sure how that translates to a price today. I would be surprised ir you could get one for $180k, but you never know. I have been considering a ERA Mk II with a FE for a future build. Are there any other Mk II's setup for an FE?

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 12-18-2001, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
G Gibbs - I hear that Roaring Forties (Australia) is developing a MK II, complete with a SSTL or aluminum monocoque chassis, ready to accept either a small block, of a big block. Can't remember if the BB is an FE or the new 429/460 derivative.
Quote:
Update: Both CAV (S. Africa) and Roaring Forties are developing a full SSTL monocoque chassis that will accept the 427 FE engine. Pricing for the CAV is (per rumor) $70K, less engine and transaxle.

Last edited by Venom S; 12-18-2001 at 08:17 AM..
Old 12-19-2001, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i actually got the nerve to call them one day last year. the price i was quoted was $500,000.00. this is for a race version, which at that time was all they had planned on building. it is not street legal and would be expensive to make it legal. the gentleman i talked with said they would gladly finance the $$$$ for a six month period. thats roughly $83,333 per month.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I talked to Lee at the SAAC meet at the Charlotte Motor Speedway this summer and he said that the GT40's were being made from some of the original tooling that they had brought from England. (Long conversation about kirksite for making dies). In fact he had one in his trailer that was about 20% done, along with his original street car. He also indicated that the cars were slanted toward the classsic racing folks and not to the street. They are trying to exactly reproduce every part on the original GT's including a "heim" joint that Lee said they were paying $70 for but could replace it with a standard $4 piece, but it wouldn't be right. So, what they are apparently trying to do is exactly reproduce the original GT40 Mark? (not sure) for the vintage racing crowd. Price? If you have to ask........
h dog
Old 12-19-2001, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default GT40 MKII

I understand these are a continuation of the Holman Moody contract cars after Ford moved it from Shelby American. Does that make it a replica or is it real? Should fit the mold ole Shel presented, that it's a CONTINUATION, oh well, the purists will have to sort that one out.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Guys:

When they are available, original (non famous cars without a big racing history) sell for between $400,000 to $600,000. Don't get me wrong, Holman and Moody have been around forever and do great work, but why would anybody want to buy a replica when they can have an original for the same price?

Jeff