Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Actual shop "garage" build. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/136972-actual-shop-garage-build.html)

1985 CCX 07-22-2016 05:45 PM

Actual shop "garage" build.

1 Attachment(s)
Thought shop talk would be a great place for the build of the Shop......
New England style post and beam
My lovely wife and mother in-law bought a Cobra shaped weathervane.
More on that when it arrives.

1985 CCX 07-22-2016 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Footings....

1985 CCX 07-22-2016 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If this thread is a bore, tell me.
It's exciting for me, thought it may be of interest to others.
Not bragging, just a share for like minded friends
As with the cars it's s process.
This is my first run at something like this

1985 CCX 07-22-2016 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally poured
Now taking shape and coming into scale.
Felt tiny at first.
Now it's sizing up well.

1985 CCX 07-22-2016 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another angle
This will be the build shed for car #2

era cobra 07-22-2016 06:45 PM

Looks great. Looking forward to seeing the finished shop. Lot's of luck.
Ed

RockBit 07-22-2016 08:10 PM

I like this thread. I am just finishing up building a new shed for my cobra. If I can figure out how to post photos I will put one up.

Mongoose930 07-22-2016 08:19 PM

I am just happy to see that you added a third stall for my Cobra:)

LMH 07-22-2016 09:31 PM

Looks awesome! I did the same thing but spent my evenings and weekends doing it. It took me a couple years doing it myself. Still don't have enough room though!
Larry

awfink55 07-23-2016 04:24 AM

I am sooo jealous, what a beautiful garage, Best of Luck with the build !!!!

1985 CCX 07-23-2016 04:40 AM

Thanks guys, phew Larry. Can't imagine building this nights.
That is awesome.

RB by all means add the pics.

Kevin, we have a spot for you.

Millsy 07-23-2016 05:28 AM

Lucky you, my property is only zoned for 2 bays, i even tried to buy the water company land behing my house so i could add more bays. A 3 bay garage is what i always wanted. I guess a 4 post bendpak is in my future. Make sure you really think out the interior and make it a badass mancave as well as a mechanics dream, GL and keep the pics coming.

55312 07-23-2016 05:43 AM

A few mistakes I made with my shop -

1. Standard size garage doors. Taller is better.
2. 10 or 12 foot ceilings.
3. No outside pad. Rolling the lift out to service Tractors, Trucks and Trailers.
4. Heat built into the slab.

They all add to the cost but are well worth it.

Good luck Jeff

Tim

moore_rb 07-23-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 1399751)
If this thread is a bore, tell me.

NO WAY ...! This is awesome Jeff...

Only a true car guy could get as excited about his shop as he is about his cars :p

I watch threads like this and it makes me want to go out and totally empty my garage out and re-organize it so everything looks all nice and neat.

Of course, then I walk out there and take a look around, and realize that it ain't happenin...

Keep the pics coming :cool:

Bernica 07-23-2016 11:09 AM

Boring? Not to me!! Love watching stuff like this and great sheds coming together. Maybe an illusion in the pics, but looks like you will have a lot of back filling to do up against those foundation stem walls and inside to bring everything up to grade level. Also, are you going to waterproof the outside of the stem walls? Just a thought to keep moisture from getting in under the slab...;)

LMH 07-23-2016 11:12 AM

I already have plans for my next house!
Larry

http://drivenscene.com/wp-content/up...13534749_n.jpg

Bernica 07-23-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55312 (Post 1399814)
A few mistakes I made with my shop -

1. Standard size garage doors. Taller is better.
2. 10 or 12 foot ceilings.
3. No outside pad. Rolling the lift out to service Tractors, Trucks and Trailers.
4. Heat built into the slab.

They all add to the cost but are well worth it.

Good luck Jeff

Tim

Yup, some good tips from Tim...

Regarding garage doors, if you can swing it consider coiling roll up doors vs conventional sectional doors that interfere with ceiling height when open.

Tall ceilings are a good thing.

Also, you can't put too much extra electrical conduit under the slab and stub it up at the walls. You never know when you might want to change something up. The same may go for compressed air piping. Pretty handy to have it where you need it.;):cool::cool:

1985 CCX 07-23-2016 12:38 PM

All great ideas guys.
I thought about floor heat but we don't use floor heat in the three season as it is weekend only in winter. Going to ponder that one for garage.
Plenty of power, will have underground feed, no wires upper canopy.
Also has its own 200A power service from pole, code here.

Larry you and I have the same house plans.

Dwight 07-23-2016 07:14 PM

Shops and garages

my shop (50' x 50') has a 10' 4" ceiling. I had to install a shorter (9') two post lift.

I would suggest a 12' ceiling as a minimum.

I have 9' x 7' roll up doors. Three of them.

I suggest 10' x 8' or 9'.

A real car guy need a 100' x 400' shop to play in:LOL:

Dwight

Bernica 07-23-2016 07:38 PM

When I visited the Kirkham shop a few years ago, Mr Kirkham (Sr) gave us a tour on a Sunday. Then he showed me his personal shed across from the shop facility. As I recall, he told me that 60'x120' was just perfect! And that is what he has. Wish I lived in farm land!!;):cool: