SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2002, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 351W-427 valve cover adapters available soon!

Hello all,

After many phone calls and web searches, I gave up on finding an adapter that would allow me to bolt original style 427 pentroof valve covers on my 351W.

I have found a manufacturing firm familiar with Fords, Mustangs, and Cobra's that can make them for us. They will by made out of aluminum, and can be colored as needed.

If you would be interested, please let me know and we can put together an order.

Brad
Old 01-10-2002, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question What's the price?

What would be the ballpark cost for the adapters?
Old 01-10-2002, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Franklin Mint 427S/C replica
Not Ranked     

When I was in Ohio visiting family, I made a trip to Dynamic Motorsports, a SPF dealer. They are selling pent roof aluminum tall valve covers for SB Fords. You might want to give them a call.

BTW - I took a test drive in a SPF during a snow storm. That was very interesting .
Old 01-18-2002, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bringing this back to the top.

pbrown - I spoke with Mark at Snakebite, they had some, but are down to a couple and probably won't have anymore. Are you buying a SPF? I really like mine.

Len - probably in the area of $125-150, but it still remains to be seen. They can be anodized, and color may add to the price.

I am working with a prototype now. It is very well made and lines up very nicely. Pictures to follow soon.

Brad
Old 01-21-2002, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would be interested to have and see this my self.

thanks Mike
Old 02-12-2002, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello all,

Adapters to use 427 FE style valve covers on a 351 W motor are now available. They are available in different thicknesses, and color. Price is dependent on thickness and color, but should be in the area of $125.

For more information, please contact Mark Franzen at 503-681-3093, or at mfranzen@turkmfg.com Mark is the Proto-type/Tooling Manager for Turk Manufacturing. He has developed the adapter, and I can testify that they are of the highest quality and design.

Brad
Old 02-13-2002, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brad,
Just so I'm clear on this. What you are talking about are spacer/adapters to put FE valve covers on a small block, right? What I am envisioning are FE stlye pent roofs that fit on a small block. But I don't think that's what you are talking about. Please clarify.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Len,

These are indeed adapters to put FE (390, 427) valve covers on a small block!

I have a 427 ci /351W small block like many of the folks here. I wanted to use the original-style chrome valve covers with the 427 emblem but could not find anything that would work so an adapter was in order. I called a number of places but nobody made anything like it. After building the engine an adding roller rocker arms, a stud girdle and such, the puny 351W valve cover didn't seem to have the 'volume' I wanted, which amplified my desire to use the bigger FE valve covers. I found a manufacturing group - which by the way is strongly Ford, including a AC Cobra in the stable - to make the adapters.

If you want to use the FE style valve covers, or need more 'head room' these adapters are for you.

Brad

(PS - saw you are from Illinois - I grew up, and family is still in Champaign)
Old 10-16-2002, 04:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brad,

Did you ever end up putting these on your car? Would be great to see some pictures.

Ben
Old 10-17-2002, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

No clearance issues on the inside of the covers once you put them on the wrong motor? I assume they will clear even stud girdles and poly locks.

Brad, I lived in Champaign for 4 years, still have some good friends there myself. Go back once a year. Go Bears!
Old 10-17-2002, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default adapters are dead?

I talked with Turk Manufacturing in September and they said the adapter idea was canceled. They told me that while they were able to merge the to bolt patterns together the angle of the FE valve covers hits the 351s rocker arms. The prototypes they made won't work. They may start with a clean sheet of paper but for now the project is stillborn .
--Mike
Old 10-17-2002, 09:53 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     

Olthoff Racing, Inc.
(704)647-9924
Have the FE adapters for $175 a pair plus shipping.
I am told that they work very well.
Hope this helps.
TL
Old 10-17-2002, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

I too recently placed an order with Turk Mfg. for a set of adapters and was refunded when Mark sadly told me that the project was shelved because their adapters would not allow the FE cover to clear roller rockers. This was because their adapters were aligning the FE cover with the center upper valve cover bolt of the small block cover, therefore not allowing enough clearance at the pushrod end of the roller rocker.

Since talking with Mark I was determined to make this thing work since I believed that the concept was valid. I called the man who built my car here in NJ and ran the idea past him. Last week he called me back and said that he had a prototype for an adapter prepared and that it would definitely allow the FE cover to clear small block roller rockers. Also, he said that the adapter would work with either the street type stamped chrome covers or the cast aluminum LeMans type covers. He is currently making final preparations on the prototype and plans to have 20 pair CNC cut within a very short time. The adapter will be 3/8" thick aluminum plate and will be supplied with all necessary installation hardware except valve cover gaskets which can be easily obtained. We do not have any idea at the moment what the price will be but I would venture a safe guess that the price will be under $125 per pair plus shipping. As of today we are pricing aluminum plate and arranging a project cost with the machinist. It shouldn't be long before the finished product is available.

I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes or causing problems by posting this but I thought perhaps that if there was enough interest in this product I might be able to help cobra owners obtain what they want. If anyone has any further interest please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to keep everyone informed.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-17-2002, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SuperHart,

If I buy the bridge will you throw in a set of adapters for free?

--Mike
Old 10-17-2002, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

I want to make it perfectly clear -I Turk Ercen - in no way associated or involved with any firm or company under a similar name. The similarities in the names is simply a coincidence.

Poor fellow he may consider changing the name of his company to avoid any backlash from my name!!

TURK
Old 10-17-2002, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     

Turk Mfg. Co in the Thompson Directory appears to be related to Road Serpents.
They both use Arthur Anderson Accounting
firm and have an energy trading division.
Both firms are heavy political supporters of
Gray Davis.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Daniel, et al,

Turk Manufacturing is a legitimate business in Oregon. Mark sent me the prototype adapters and I tried them on my engine. They looked like they would work well, but I had not put the roller rockers on yet.

I have a picture of the adapter on my engine - I will try and load it later.

The adapters made by Mark at Turk Manufacturing were very nice, of high-grade aluminum, with good attention to detail. If they can get them to work, they will be very nice.

Mr. Fix It - I don't miss Champaign much as the temperatures swing to extremes. What I do miss is the real estate prices! I coudln't get a garage out here for what really nice homes are selling go back there. Oh well, if it was paradise, everybody would live there!

Go Illini!

Brad
Old 10-17-2002, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

To Mike The Fire Dog,
The bridge is a bargain. It includes all the original working toll booths. Make me an offer. I will post info and photos when the FE adapters are available.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-17-2002, 08:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re: adapters

As another option, there is an alternative way to adapt or integrate those Pentroof valvecovers to your car, but it's costly, and worth it:

Step 1: remove 351 engine

Step 2: install Ford FE 352 to 428 family engine, with correct FE heads.

Step 3: install pentroof valvecovers on to FE engine.

Just kidding. Ha, Ha.

Duane
Old 10-18-2002, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner of both Superformance #2666 Roush 427IR and Superformance #1601 Ford Crate 460CI - 486 HP 510 ft\lbs TQ
Not Ranked     
Default Am I missing something?

Why is all of the effort being expended to invent these when they already exist? I saw a car two years ago with these adapters on them (On a roller rocker 351 motor) and they looked great. As mentioned before Olthoff Racing carries them.

JB