SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2016, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4145, aluminum body and Shelby aluminum FE stroker
Not Ranked     

I went with stamped, colored concrete for one area of garage space, to simulate wood plank flooring, and many people don't even realize that it isn't a real wood floor until I point it out to them. It is extremely durable, and very easy to clean up. For a lower level garage, I went with cut, stained and epoxied concrete. It turned out darker than planned, so dirt shows up more than I would like, and it scratches easily if a pebble gets dragged across the surface, but it is easy to clean. I polish out the scratches the same way as I do if it were a scratch on a car. For another garage area, I went with the old tried and true color-chip/epoxy coating, and truthfully, I love everything about it except for the fact that it seems like that's what everybody else has, too, and I like to be a little different.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2016, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF5 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

I like the stamped and stained concrete. Not a lot of deep grooves it seems, shallow patter? That little red one would look great on anything!!!
razerwire likes this.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSDFGT View Post
I went with stamped, colored concrete for one area of garage space, to simulate wood plank flooring, and many people don't even realize that it isn't a real wood floor until I point it out to them. It is extremely durable, and very easy to clean up. For a lower level garage, I went with cut, stained and epoxied concrete. It turned out darker than planned, so dirt shows up more than I would like, and it scratches easily if a pebble gets dragged across the surface, but it is easy to clean. I polish out the scratches the same way as I do if it were a scratch on a car. For another garage area, I went with the old tried and true color-chip/epoxy coating, and truthfully, I love everything about it except for the fact that it seems like that's what everybody else has, too, and I like to be a little different.
Do you remember the brand of color chip epoxy you used. I know some cost more than others.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSDFGT View Post
Ok, so you have one of the coolest man caves EVER!!!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Fordracing65- I think mine was the Sedona color from Premier Garage:

Garage Flooring Systems Garage Floor Coating Solutions
Old 11-26-2016, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Ford Racing 65, You have a couple of excellent commercial coatings manufacturers reasonably close to you. Key Resin West, and Arizona Polymer Floors. They sell everything from color chip floors to epoxy mortar floors. The issue with yellowing or chalking is that epoxy does not deal well with UV light. You need to either use an epoxy that has a UV inhibitor, or top coat the system with a two component polyurethane. They're available in pigmented and clear versions, and gloss and satin finishes. The nice thing about satin is that it diffuses the de-glossing the finish will have over time. Any system that has a multi-color finish, (color chip, or multi-color quartz) will have less of a tendency to show scratches, chips, etc.
Polished concrete is an excellent way to go. It's not bulletproof, but you don't have to worry about it deteriorating over time. Also, once the densifier is applied and polished into the concrete, you can apply a guard coat that will protect the floor from spills soaking into the surface. You can also use dye stain in conjunction with the polished system if you want to dress it up.
Anyhow, that's my 2 cents based on 40 years of installing these products.
Rick
Old 11-26-2016, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
Ford Racing 65, You have a couple of excellent commercial coatings manufacturers reasonably close to you. Key Resin West, and Arizona Polymer Floors. They sell everything from color chip floors to epoxy mortar floors. The issue with yellowing or chalking is that epoxy does not deal well with UV light. You need to either use an epoxy that has a UV inhibitor, or top coat the system with a two component polyurethane. They're available in pigmented and clear versions, and gloss and satin finishes. The nice thing about satin is that it diffuses the de-glossing the finish will have over time. Any system that has a multi-color finish, (color chip, or multi-color quartz) will have less of a tendency to show scratches, chips, etc.
Polished concrete is an excellent way to go. It's not bulletproof, but you don't have to worry about it deteriorating over time. Also, once the densifier is applied and polished into the concrete, you can apply a guard coat that will protect the floor from spills soaking into the surface. You can also use dye stain in conjunction with the polished system if you want to dress it up.
Anyhow, that's my 2 cents based on 40 years of installing these products.
Rick
I'll check them out on Monday. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

What cars are behind the Ford GT? Are they a Daytona and Challenger?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

The 68 charger was a pleasing site. That is the one car from my puppy days that still has a soft spot.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-O View Post
What cars are behind the Ford GT? Are they a Daytona and Challenger?
Correct. A "1 of 3" Daytona in Q5 turquoise, Mopar Nationals Wing Car Champion. And the SRT Challenger is a Mr. Norms plum crazy convertible-conversion with a Kenne Bell supercharger.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]I went with the UClad product from UCoat-it UClad-LV - UCoat It Epoxy Floor Coating
mln385 likes this.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboneheller View Post
[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]I went with the UClad product from UCoat-it UClad-LV - UCoat It Epoxy Floor Coating
Did you apply yourself ow have a company do it for you. Looks good. The u coat it product is cheap in price and they have different varieties.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Have you ever forgotten to close the bonnet before raising it? I know I have.
JD
Old 11-30-2016, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Did you apply yourself ow have a company do it for you. Looks good. The u coat it product is cheap in price and they have different varieties.
That product is actually applied in 2 coats. The first coat is a primer that is rolled on. The second coat is poured on & spread out with a squeegee. I applied it myself. That second coat sets up FAST.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Have you ever forgotten to close the bonnet before raising it? I know I have.
JD
Not yet. I installed the lift in April & raised the car up. It has been sitting there ever since.