SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2002, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     
Question Starter eating Ring gears

I have a 428 running a Mcleod flywheel and Starter and I am using a lakewood scattershield.

both the teeth on the flywheel and the starter are showing signs of wear. I just replaced the ring gear and it has less than 5 starts on it.

It appears that the starter gear is only partially engaging the ring gear.

I grabbed the box with my old stock starter in it to check the throw of the gear and noticed that the teeth on that starter were damaged as well. That starter was on the car less than a month before I changed to the Mcleod.

Any suggestions? Is there a spacing problem when you use a lakewood? Can I get a starter with a long throw?
Old 01-18-2002, 05:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have you call McLeod on this? It sounds to me like the ring gear is in the wrong place - the flywheel is incorrect. We use standard starters with Lakewoods all the time.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 01-18-2002, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     

I have noticed unusual wear on my McLeod flywheel for the few times I have run my motor (starter looks fine). Not sure if it is going to be a problem or not.

I did have to adjust the depth of the starter to get the pinion to engage correctly. I have a tilton starter which gives recommended engagment depths from the face of the bellhousing. When it is at the right depth the wear marks on the starter will show up in the middle of the starter gear.

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 01-18-2002, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Dennis,

Also, I have an old Lakewood scattershield assembly that has a nut plate welded to the inside of the intermediate plate with two holes--one for the 157 tooth flywheel and one for the larger (as you would have) 164 tooth flywheel. Apparently the previous owner or the engine builder didn't realize that this nut plate actually contact the 'rear' side of the flywheel ring gear (the side closes to the engine). Consequently when I disassembed everything to check the concentricty of the scattershield with the crank centerline, I noticed a LOT of wear on the ring gear. I would check your ring gear with a flash light and see if you have the same problem--it almost looks like someone took a grinder to the rear corner of the ring gear. The solution is to remove the intermediate plate and grind down the nut plate where it is contacting the ring gear as you don't need that part of the nut plate when running the large flywheel. Sounds like you could have a similar problem. The old starter also showed signs of wear caused by the damaged ring gear. Poor design on Lakewood's part, too, as their is plenty of room for the nutplate to have both sets of starter holes and still clear the flywheel. In fairness however, I should note that this scattershield is at least 17 years old, so their newest shields are probably fine, since Bob doesn't appear to have seen this problem and he's done a lot more of them than I have.

Also, my local starter rebuilder gave me a tip. He said if you have engagement problems on these Ford starters, to try a long nose automatic starter bolted up in place of the short nose manual starter to get better engagement between the ring gear and the bendix. I haven't tried it yet, but it could be a cheap solution if none of these other ideas pan out...

Last edited by Mike Braddock; 01-18-2002 at 09:52 AM..
Old 01-19-2002, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     

I seem to remeber that the Lakewoods only work with the 157 (stated in their sales literature).

I am fairly sure that I checked that my McLeod flywheel is 157 teeth.

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com