SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2000, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Talking

I finally got K&N'd. Been looking for a K&N filter set-up that would fit my single 750 Holley, clear the hood, show the motor, and provide adequate flow (dyno tested) for the FE big block. Am pleased to report that K&N have finally come out with the answer:

Base and filter assembly P/N 60-1110
X-Treme Top P/N 66-0901

$122.44 with shipping

9" diameter X about 4.2" tall installed.

Woodruff's
810 N. Lemon St.
Orange, CA 92867
714-997-8606

Hava look:

Best Regards,

Zderf
Old 08-31-2000, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates S/C, Ford 460
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Way to go Zderf! I've been considering doing the exact same modification to my
venerable 460. Now, what I'd be interested
in knowing is will the K & N show you a real
gain in horsepower? If you have your new
filtered motor dyno tested, please let us
know. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2000, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Zderf-Will the actual filter work with 8" Stelling and Hellings base and top-for the guys that want to remain with the period correct look-sorta. I would show my car with the correct pair of Stellings but for everyday and comp use they really choke the airflow. What is the diameter of this filter and the height of the filter alone without base. Some of the guys have different height on the manifold I.E. Tunnel-port VS other FE manifolds. Also various Cobras have minute differences in how high the engine is installed in the chassis and certainly some variances in scoops.
Old 08-31-2000, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Zderf and others. I can hear you now-This dumba** can type but he can't read. Is he typing by braille?, and if he is blind, then how does he drive his Cobra (anybody seen Scent of a Woman). Anyway you listed all the dimensions and no it won't fit a 2/4 FE. mumble, mumble, mumble. I'm going to bed.....
Old 08-31-2000, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
ZDerf,

A most appropriate time to bring this up. I had my car at the Good Guys Show in Pleasanton (CA) this last weekend. Ron Rosen was there, and told me I need to get rid of that Cobra air cleaner and get a KN unit.

The KN they had on the car there was more oval shaped (not as oval as the Cobra unit though) and was not open on the top. According to Ron they were seeing about a 60 HP loss with the old style. Ron told me to check with the SPF guys in Ohio for the new part.

Looks like I am going air cleaner shopping this week!

Brad
Old 08-31-2000, 04:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Fred....you always find a way to make it better...looks great....
To answer the Stelling & Hellings 2X4 question...we stock the correct fitting K&N filters for them.....
Great Image Fred!...Glad the old girl is running great again!
George
Old 08-31-2000, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
I have the dual fours w/ Stelling & Hellings. The prices or part numbers for the K&N's would be great.I whish K&N would make Extreme tops to fit or come up with a single dual four air cleaner that would fit under my hood 1 1/2" high and an Extreme top to fit. My front air cleanerr is 1/3 under the hood.If I were to cut the hood the rain would spill right in on the distributor, and driving in the rain can and has happened
Mike
Old 09-01-2000, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

K&N has a formula one can use to determine the square surface area of filtration needed with thier product (oiled cloth) for your particular application. It is explained as follows:

Pleated K&N filter material will flow 6.03 cfm of air per square inch. By comparison, a single square inch of the highest flowing paper will allow 4.95 cfm of air to pass and the freest flowing foam will flow 4.38 cfm. Use the formula below to compute the minimum size filter required for your particular application. The usable portion of the filter is called the EFFECTIVE FILTERING AREA which is determined by multiplying the diameter of the filter times Pi (3.1416) times the height of the air filter in inches, then subtracting .75-inch. 0.75-inch is deducted to compensate for the rubber seals on each end of the element and the filter material near them since very little air flows through this area.

A=(CID X RPM)/20839

A = effective filtering area
CID = cubic inch displacement
RPM = revolutions per minute at maximum power

Using this approach, one can quickly see that many of the low profile K&N's (with solid top) may not be adequate, and most all of the standard size and shaped "paper or foam" element units are totally restrictive. For example, the large oval "Cobra" style assembly with 2" high paper element provides only 72 square inches of filter area. A 427 at 6000RPM requires 122 square inches of filter area using fresh K&N cloth. For the same flow with new paper, it would require 184 square inches. That's one huge paper filter.

This all now speaks to the foundation and concept behind the K&N X-treem top. It allows one get the needed filter area on an assembly that is reasonable in size.

As for the Stelling & Hellings "period correct" assemblies, they are woefully inadequate in terms of flow. Keep them in the trunk for the car shows. As well, the oval Cobra style assembly (single our dual quad) is also quite restrictive, as has been proven in dyno tests that were done to determine the effectiveness fo the K&N X-treem assemblies. Next to no air cleaner at all, the K&N is so far the second best alternative.

Cheers...

Zderf
Old 09-01-2000, 08:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

So if K&N would make a 3" high filter to fit the large "Cobra" oval, you would have an effective flitering area of 132, more than adequate for the 427. Seems then you'd have the efficiency of the K&N filter with the desired "Cobra" look. Maybe K&N does make one to fit, anyone know?

Jim

[This message has been edited by jwoodard (edited 09-01-2000).]

Old 09-01-2000, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
K&N makes filters, but they take a bit to get. I had to have them make a custom filter to fit right on the base of my Dominator carb (no air cleaner bottom) and fit a 9" top for the carb below. It's not a lot of filter, but does the job on a 527" big block at 8500.
http://performanceunlimited.com/cobra/barrygrant.html

Also, for those wondering just how a K&N does it's magic, there really is no magic... just a little here, and a little there, all wrapped up in one red looking filter. Here's more info here...
http://performanceunlimited.com/illu...ercompare.html

Also, we wrote a magazine feature for Four Wheeler on a build-up project, and one was a filter test... although not exactly relevant to a Cobra, it does show that the K&N claims and gains are real.
http://performanceunlimited.com/proj...ircleaner.html

/Randall
Old 09-01-2000, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
What filter are you guys using on your Superformance 460's? Mine has a holley 850 and am using a 8.5" round K&N with a chrome base and top. It is only about 2" high, but think if I use something taller, it will hit the hood. What do you think / use for this application?
Old 09-01-2000, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     
Cool

I have the 13 inch chrome round Motorsports airfilter element, has the drop base, indentations for the ends of the carb. I got some advice from K&N, and put part # E 2865, which is 2 and 5/16ths inch high. At first, it appeared too big to fit in the base, but you have to cradle the base in your lap, then gently compress and "walk" the filter into the base, then press the top on. It fits fine afterall, the K&N is for a Mercedes 190, actually. It did appear at first glance to be a little too big, as it does not drop in like the Ford one does. I also got and cut down a K&N foam overfilter, it wraps around the filter, and keeps the bugs and sand out of the primary filter. I wash it every now and then. That way, the main filter stays so pretty and clean, for showing off. I din't think a much taller filter would fit under the hood.

Works for me. The NOAH worked great in an inch rain today, first time i used it at work. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Hal "Nam Vet" Copple
Old 09-03-2000, 12:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Wink

I did some research and found K&N makes a replacement filter to fit the "Cobra" oblong oval air cleaner. The element that is currently in mine is a Motorcraft FA48. The K&N replacement for that element is K&N E-1963. $62.21 from Martel Brothers Performance. See http://www.martelbrothers.com

Jim
Old 09-04-2000, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA / nascar side oiler
Not Ranked     
Is there an x-stream top for the 8.5" snelling and hellings type filter thats used in the turkey pan.

Old 12-12-2001, 09:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Xtreme function?

All,
How does the K&N Xtreme hold up? I read a SecondStrike about one getting sucked into the intake. We'll be checking one out when we dyno my engine, but if long-term durability is in question, particularly of this sort, well...
Thanks!
Old 12-12-2001, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default K&N Xtreme Top

I spoke with K&N about filter options for the Cobra replicas of the world. Specifically asked about the Xtreme top, since it appears to offer about the only possibility to get the area I'm looking for in the tight quarters under the hood. The K&N rep. tells me that the Xtreme should only be used if you have at least 1.5" of clearance between the filter top and the hood. Otherwise, not enough clearance for the air to flow into the top. So, that doesn't help me. Can anyone using an Xtreme top comment on this? K&N has burst my bubble. I really thought I had a winner.

Another suggestion I made to K&N for Cobra replicas is to market a conical section filter that is about 2-2.5" high, 14" diameter at the base and 11" diameter at the top. This would allow the use of a 14" drop base with an 11" top, Xtreme if you have the proper clearance. The 14" drop base would allow a taller filter element and the 11" top would fit inside my hood scoop. Seems like a perfect solution. K&N says nice idea, but difficult to make a conical section filter element. Maybe we should start a petition......

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Chuck

Last edited by cwmcobra; 12-12-2001 at 08:24 PM..
Old 12-12-2001, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went through the same process trying to find K&N elements to fit the dual 6" Stelling & Hellings on my small block. The Martel website is great as you can access the complete K&N catalog. They have filters to fit practically anything.....just takes a bit of time to root around and find the right one.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex EQ
Not Ranked     

I have been working using a sprint car hotbox at a 10 degree angle and making a new base. Also there is the Alum. scoop trays. Both will use a flat K&N Filter. Lots to think of !!!!!! I have a small K&N with the ext. top. I think it fall short on air flow. Wish I had a DYNO. Would like to Know what others have to say.