SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2002, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     
Cool Top Dead Center

What is the easiest most accurate way to determine if you are at TDC to set your distributor? I'm a one man crew so don't have a second set of eyes or hands.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 02-04-2002, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Jegs sells a TDC tool for about $9. It screws into the sparkplug hole of your #1 cylinder. You turn the engine in one direction *BY HAND* until the piston hits the tool. Mark the harmonic damper at that spot. Then turn the engine the other way *BY HAND* untill it hits again. Mark the damper at that spot. Then find the spot on the dampner that is exactly between your two marks, and that is top dead center!!!

You can thank me later

Ed
________
Old 02-04-2002, 02:35 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

Dave,
Ed's suggestion is right on the money..... but if your indexing the distributor, make sure you find TDC on the compression stroke.
- Jim -
Old 02-04-2002, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Pop the passenger side valve cover and off rotate crank (preferably by hand with breaker bar on front crank damper retaining bolt) until both valves are closed. If you run solid lifter cam each pushrod will spin in your fingers at this time. Then check timing marks (should be close to "0" now) and continue to rotate crank until the timing marks line up at "0" degrees. Put distributor in and align rotor to #1 plug tower. The alternative is to pull # 1 plug and crank engine with starter while holding finger in sparkplug hole, the compression will pop it out when it nears TDC. The first method is a little more controlled, the second requires an assistant or a method of cranking starter while your
finger is over the sparkplug hole. After a little practice the second method is quicker too.
Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-04-2002, 09:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Put a thin screwdriver into the spark plug hole and s-l-o-w-l-y turn the engine over with a breaker bar until you feel the piston come to it's highest point....this isn't the scientific way but is fast and easy. After the piston comes to its highest point you will notice that you can turn the engine a few degrees each way and the piston won't go up or down even though you are turning the engine...this is called dwell -- try to guess the spot halfway between the piston going up or down THAT will be damned close to TDC.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     

These are all great but, as a one man operation non seems practical? No way to turn the engine by hand. The March pulley system covers over the bolt on the crank. Can't loosen the pulley and turn the crank "literally" by hand.

Any other guesses? Too bad I can' just line up the distributor with another piston that is in the TDC position? It looks as if the #1 cylinder in on the "Intake" as the rocker is about a 1/4" lower than the rest of the rockers.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 02-06-2002, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default One man bump...

Pull all your spark plugs out. You may then be able to turn it by hand. If not, with the plugs still out, put trans in a high gear (3rd of 4th) and push the car a little until you get the pully where you want it.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Dave,

You can find the top of the #1 compression stroke by bumping the engine over with the #1 sparkplug threaded in a couple of turns. When you hear air whoosh past the threads your coming up on #1.

Scott
Old 06-20-2007, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     
Default Tdc

Easy way is plug spark hole with your finger, when it blows your finger out you will be right at TDC on the compression stroke.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge, Boss 429
Not Ranked     

You can find not a single person in your area to turn a key for you?? I thought they were friendly in the South
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is no easy way! Cranking with the starter or a remote starter switch wired to the solenoid will only get you 'close'. Only ONE way to establish true TDC, gotta turn the engine by hand, period. With all the spark plugs out this MAY actually be possible by literally turning the belt/pullies by hand.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:17 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Dave,the guy who started this thread,posted this in 02/02.He sold his Cobra several years ago.

I agree though,has to be done by hand.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W
Not Ranked     

That just goes to show you. You've got to read he fine print. I read all the way down to 392cobra's comment before realizing the thread started in February 2002. But now I can find TDC with all these comments. Thanks guys.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Once you have decided where TDC actually is, you'll have a pointo start from. In my case turning it over with a long 1/2" ratchetIs slow do to not much room to get a long through. so I wouldn't hear that woush past the plug threads. I do have an air compressor and a rubber tipped blow gun. I'll blow in the #1 hole to confirm that I'm on the compression stroke. Note; do not seal the blow gun off to head or the pressure may cause the crank to rotate from the spto you went through all this effort to arrive at. You're just listening for the sound fo air comming out exhaust ot intake. You don't want that. You want both intake and exhaust valves closed and air coming back out the spark plug hole.
I have broken the distributer drive pin twice. Both times at home. Starting with cold oil and too much throttle. No other damage . It takes about an hour to get it repaired and running again.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Go to harbour Freight and buy a remote starter for $5 (hooks up to your solinoid - one lead on the battery cable that bolts to the side and goes to the starter and one lead on the #10 stud in the front). Remove your spark plug and stick your finger in the hole. take your coil wire off and then press your remoter starter until the piston arrives at TDC on the compression stroke.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-06-2007, 05:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I might be better just to stick you thumb over the hole. Depending on how small your fingers are, you might get pinched and that would hurt like H__L.

Terry
Old 07-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance man
These are all great but, as a one man operation non seems practical? No way to turn the engine by hand. The March pulley system covers over the bolt on the crank. Can't loosen the pulley and turn the crank "literally" by hand.

Any other guesses? Too bad I can' just line up the distributor with another piston that is in the TDC position? It looks as if the #1 cylinder in on the "Intake" as the rocker is about a 1/4" lower than the rest of the rockers.
Take the cover/pulley off. Listen to CobraEd and be sure you are coming up on compression.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 07-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Yes, and after you get out of the hospital with a splint on your finger, you will know where TDC is.

May I suggest removing the coil wire before you start this proceedure. Additionally, if you put a finger in the hole, do it only a very small distance in, feel for the top of the piston.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hold the coil wire with one hand and your finger in the piston hole, then have your wife hit the key.

Alternative method: Here, pull my finger!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Neutral, Neutral , Neutral, then! Take off the coil wire. Take out number one spark plug. Tap the engine around using a screwdriver to jump the two starter solinoid terminals (from left to right on the solinoid the first two). As you are tapping around the engine keep your finger on the plug hole until you feel the compression of air pushing your thumb off the hole. As you are doing this look at the balancer and you should see TDC coming up on the balancer. Now you know you are on the right stroke. Once you are close you can bring it to perfection with a 1/2" drive breaker and socket on the balancer bolt. Don't forget that the engine is going to fire at the initial timimg that you set in so you may want to bring you pointer to that mark before setting in the distributor or use it as a referance once the distributor is in, Sal.